What would be your second camera??

jimleicam3

When making a camera choice, I always reflect on what I want to accomplish with the camera.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to think about what you want to shoot that the M8 doesn't support. If long telephoto, macro, or perspective control work are your goal, then an SLR is a good choice. You mention Canon at work, but I don't know if work will allow you to borrow their gear. You may have a little extra comfort from familiarity of working with similar or matching equipment and work flow, but if the camera is not your meal ticket, then that is a small bonus. I would look into what friends and family have for gear, as that is a more likely source of borrowed gear.

As for brand, Nikon and Canon both make excellent digital SLRs. The DMR is a beautiful setup too, but perhaps a little behind the curve to make a major investment. The new S2 should be gorgeous too.

Then again, maybe you want some big, high dynamic range negatives, and a field camera is in order.

Or a pocket camera to ensure you have something with you at all times. That was my most recent purchase, a Canon SD780IS. I wanted something small that I wouldn't worry about having stolen from my hotel room.

Enjoy the hobby!

Eric

my 'other' camera is a 5D - I don't use it much any more.

Even for stuff I think it is better, I find I can get very good (if not better) results with the M8, but I put id partly down to taking more care when taking pictures with the M8.

Still, with the 70 to 300 lens the 5D comes in handy., and with the 580 flash it's great (I don't have a flash for the M8 yet)

When traveling I can't persuade myself to carry the extra bulk, so it is the M8 with 3 lenses (35/28/21), and a Sony W300 point and shoot as backup.

I am purely an amateur, so the pix are for myself, or for friends (and the odd one for my business)

I use my M8 as my major camera, and a 20D at work. I have been looking at the 5D MarkII as a replacement for my 20D. I have 3 Canon lenses. What would be your choice for a second camera?? I don't pay the bills with my camera!! Thanks, Jim

If you use your M8 as a primary camera why opt for a 5D mkII , unless you have expensive Canon glass, get the 50D (actually the 40D w/ same file size as M8 is an excellent buy).

If you are going for larger file size than go w/ the 5D - I have one of the first in the States and it really is a wonderful camera . My primary cameras are Canon , use M8 for personal & street photog. Not in a position to comment on Nikon's , but if you already have some Canon lenses why switch systems.

cheers

If you mean digital, already have the Canon glass, and don't mind the expense (which really isn't that great if it's just the body), then I'd spring for the 5DII. As someone else mentioned, full frame is just the bees knees.

On the other hand, if it's just for pleasure, why not think about an MP, M7, or used M6 that will let you use the wonderful Leica glass you already have with film.

Film is still beautiful, you know.

My experience of moving to Full Frame (Nikon) was that the lenses which worked on a cropped sensor camera weren't up to it on FF; what was previously discarded was now captured, warts and all.

That's one reason some (many?) of us want a FF M camera - the assumption is (though none of us can prove it) is that the Leica M lenses will be fine out into the corners, if only they can solve the sensor problems.

So, I think a FF DSLR is a good choice, just be prepared for some disappointment when your glass fails to deliver wide open out into the corners. Depending on what glass you already have, you may find yourself wanting better.

On the other hand, if it's just for pleasure, why not think about an MP, M7, or used M6 that will let you use the wonderful Leica glass you already have with film.

Film is still beautiful, you know.

I'm going through exactly this debate at the moment, having spent the last few days scanning film and (in some cases) realising how good scans can be. And I keep coming back in my mind to the FF argument as well. So I'll be off looking for a decent used M6 to go with my M8s this week.........and maybe one of the M8s will be sacrificed. Then I could look at an MP........

Decisions, decisions.......

I'm rather hoping my M8 will become my second camera when Leica produce a compelling enough new DRF.

That would be my first choice too.

But, and interestingly, the Panasonic G1(HD) is not mentioned here yet. I hade a good look at Sean's review, and though he has some doubts about the IQ of Leica M lenses with this camera - he confirmed my own findings - , the IQ of pictures with the Panasonic lenses, in his words, was quite good. At low ISO.

So, unless the second camera is needed for high ISO work, consider that the G1 is small, IQ is better that P&S camera's I guess, there are some great Pana lenses coming and the HD version gives you video as well. Use the coming Macro Pana for macro, and longer Leica lenses for tele. An interesting package.

And not in the Leica price bracket!

That would be my first choice too.

But, and interestingly, the Panasonic G1(HD) is not mentioned here yet. I hade a good look at Sean's review, and though he has some doubts about the IQ of Leica M lenses with this camera - he confirmed my own findings - , the IQ of pictures with the Panasonic lenses, in his words, was quite good. At low ISO.

So, unless the second camera is needed for high ISO work, consider that the G1 is small, IQ is better that P&S camera's I guess, there are some great Pana lenses coming and the HD version gives you video as well. Use the coming Macro Pana for macro, and longer Leica lenses for tele. An interesting package.

And not in the Leica price bracket!

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but earlier this week I was seriously eyeing up a Nikon D40 as a possible second camera. I thought I would mate it with a 70-300 VR as a cheap telephoto platform. The D40 is being sold off at a riduclous £250 price tag at most of the major high street retailers. Even the newer D60 with lens is only £379. I can't believe that the G1 with its weird micro 4/3rds system is going to be any more than a blip on the photographic landscape when there are 'mini' Nikons and Canons competing with it (and at a cheaper price, too). But there again, I stand by my first statement, bring on a substantionally revised Leica DRF and I'd be happy to have my M8 as a second camera.

LouisB

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but earlier this week I was seriously eyeing up a Nikon D40 as a possible second camera. I thought I would mate it with a 70-300 VR as a cheap telephoto platform. The D40 is being sold off at a riduclous £250 price tag at most of the major high street retailers.

LouisB

I use a D40 as the 'family camera' to my M8s. I have shot with and owned almost every Nikon dSLR from the D1 series to the D3, and the little D40 still amazes me. I use it with the little 18-55 kit lens, and a golden oldie 70-210 AF-D, and it is absolutely brilliant for the occasions when I am not in the mood for the M8, such as a kid's party or out walking the dog. Without intending to sound arrogant, it is almost disposable compared to any of my Leica stuff.

I give it to my 8 year old daughter to use too. Wouldn't do that with the M8s, even if she could figure out how use 'em.

At £250 I would snap one up now!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My choice will be simple, another Leica, a second hand M6/7/P .

I had a Canon 40D with few L zooms 18 months ago. Unfortunately i was burglared and with the insurance funded payment, i bought a Nikon D700 with 24-70 f2.8 zoom 4 months ago. The Nikon is a lot more user family than Canon and the 24-70mm zoom is brilliant.

However, i had the opportunity and finally purchased my first Leica M8 a few weeks ago. Now, i am enjoying my photography even more. My M8 is housed in a waist bag when travelling with my kids. My nikon gear stays at home. The IQ i get with M8 is just as good ( and sometimes better) as my Nikon.

I am looking into a second hand M6 TTL once my Leica Lenses are complete. Good luck with your selection.

Cheers!:)

• Like 1