M7 Film Speed Indication question

acanalda

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi to all.

I'm not sure if my NEW M7 has a malfunction. The instructions book said that depending on the film loaded, the film speed setting and the exposure correction setting, different displays light up or flash in the viewfinder for 2 seconds each time the camera is turned on with the main swith, before the normal exposure meter displays then appear.

My camera never displays for 2 seconds the film speed in the viewfinder. It directly goes to the normal exposure meter display. The camera detects the film speed ok as I have tried to change the speed manually with a different ISO and then the warning led blinks indicating this error. All the rolls are exposed correctly.

Is this a malfunction ?:(

Shall I send it to Solms ???:mad:

Regards,

Arturo

The dial on the back of the M7 is actually two seperate dials. Pressing the small button allows you to move the +- 2 compensation dial. Using pressure on the inner ring allows you to set the film speed manually. You first must assure that both these dials are set to the 0 position. Sometimes you have to try a couple of times as I found these settings to be 'delicate'. With your M7 shutter dial set to AUTO , no compnesation dialed in and the ASA dial set to 0 and a film cartridge correctly coded, when you first turn the M7 ON, you should see the film speed indicated in the viewfinder for a short time. If a cartridge is not in the camera or is not coded, 100 is the film speed indicated.

Is the film cartridge coded? If so and you have tried a number of different film makes, and get no indication, then I would say your M7 operation is atypical.-Dick

Hi Dick, thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid my M7 operation is "atypical" as I have checked all the procedures you have sugested.

The camera goes directly to the exposure meter display without displaying during the first 2 seconds any indication about the film speed. Anyway it detects the correct DX code and the dot only blinks if I change manually the film speed to a different one that is coded.

Bad news ?

Regards,

Arturo

How do you know it selects the correct ISO?

Have you tried looking through the viewfinder while switching the camera on? (Sounds a bit obvious, I know). The ISO should read out in the viewfinder, but only immediately after switching on, not just when woken from sleep

Hi Andy.

Yes, of course I have checked the viewfinder while turning the camera on. No Iso indications but the normal exposure meter display with the arrows and the center point.

I'm sure the camera has selected the correct ISO. If I change the ISO with the manual selector to a different value than "DX" or the correct one, the warning small dot start blinking. When I return the selector to DX or to the correct ISO value, the blinking dot stops.:(

The rolls are well exposed in any case.

Next week I am going to send the camera to Solms, as I have experienced also a extrange issue with the batteries. I have changed the batteries 3 times in 24 rolls (6 batteries for 24 rolls) !!!:eek:

Regards,

Arturo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Arturo,

You are right to send it back. While the film speed display problem is not (at least in my experience) typical of either a malfunctioning DX reader or other circuitry board, I believe the extraordinary battery useage is. I had to have both the DX reader replaced and (after a second trip to Solms) a malfunctioning circuit board. In my case the DX reader was 'misreading' the film canister; I could get round this by using manual ISO setting rather than DX but there were other oddities too -- huge battery useage was one (my personal view is that a malfunctionning circuit board drains them).

I would say to Solms that it *may* be a DX reader problem but PLEASE would they also check for other circuit board failures. In my case they fixed both things but I was without the camera for months (so long, in fact, that I bought a second body) because it took two trips.

Good luck.

Dear Alun,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have sent the camera this morning with a detailed explanation of both problems, the ISO reader and the battery drain.

Hope they solve them quickly...I have several bodies and this is the first problem I encountered. My M3 is the natural substitute for the M7. It has been working for 40 years without problems, and without exposure meter...who cares ? :)

Regards,

Arturo

Arturo,

I hope they sort it out properly for you. I'm sure they will. It is frustrating, however. I will say, though, that when my M7 was fixed Leica also upgraded the finder free of charge to the MP finder and sent me the camera back in a nice drawstring velvet Leica bag.

cheers