Left or right eye?

edinsiam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe i've never payed enough attention, but I do not remember having seen somebody taking pictures without keeping the camera in front of the face.

I always thought anybody used the left eye as I do.

I tryed to use the right one after reading this thread, but... No way.

Even worst if I keep both eyes open. What I seee is a trembling landscape.

I think i will go on taking pics with my left one getting my screen dirty with the point of my nose.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lately, I've been experimenting using my non-dominant right eye. I haven't noticed any particular difference in the results yet, but I feel that it perhaps takes me a little longer to focus. This may mean that my left eye, even if it actually does not see as well as my right one, is simply more used - or perhaps more fit? - for this operation.

A curiousity: after switching eye on purpose for a while, it kinda kicks in and becomes natural. I don't think it is the eyes becoming less or more dominant though: it probably is the hands who can remember what eye to lift the camera to after a bit.

Yes, the question of keeping the left eye oper or closed while shooting with the right eye is a good one. I have always read of many Leica photographers doing so, but never understood the reasons behind it. If, on one side, it could be useful to keep the whole scene under control with both eyes open even while shooting (and keeping both eyes open may perhaps look also less intimidating to the people being shot), on the other side I guess that closing one eye throws you really inside the picture, therefore probably increasing your concentration and attention to detail.

Just my impressions, somebody else can maybe correct me or say more about this.

Ed

If you're doing people shots and are in close, keeping both eyes open allows the subject to see you looking at them rather than the camera (if that makes any sense). I've often noticed a difference in their response if they can look me in the eye, too. Perhaps it seems less impersonal to them.

It's a lot easier with an M3 than the later Leicas, though if you use the 1.25x magnifier then with practice you can work with both eyes open.

Doug

Doug, sorry, I don't understand this: why would you need the 1.25x magnfifier for keeping both eyes open? Isn't what you see through the built-in viewfinder already real life size?

Ed

No it isn't. To accomodate the wider framelines they reduced the magnification to 0.68, I believe, for the M8. The old M3 is a 0.91. Great for viewing, but it means no framelines below 50mm. That's why they made the 35mm with goggles for the M3. The M6 is 0.71, with options through a la carte to get 0.58 or 0.86 installed for those who used wideangles or 90-135mm more often.

Doug

No it isn't. To accomodate the wider framelines they reduced the magnification to 0.68, I believe, for the M8. The old M3 is a 0.91. Great for viewing, but it means no framelines below 50mm. That's why they made the 35mm with goggles for the M3. The M6 is 0.71, with options through a la carte to get 0.58 or 0.86 installed for those who used wideangles or 90-135mm more often.

Doug

Oh, i see. Thank you, Doug, did not know this. And up to what focal lens can the 1.25x magnifier be used before you can't see the frames anymore?

Ed

Oh, i see. Thank you, Doug, did not know this. And up to what focal lens can the 1.25x magnifier be used before you can't see the frames anymore?

Ed

The 1.25x magnifier is designed to be used with lenses 50mm and longer, where it works fine. With it on you can just barely see the 35mm framelines if you tilt your head a bit to the sides. Not usable if you wear glasses as I do.

Ed

Ed, you can barely see 35mm framelines with the 1.25x magnifier. but your life is soooooooooo better...:D

Hehe, thanks Doug and Enrico. I assume that by 35mm you mean 35mm framelines and not necessarily a 35mm lens (I'm thinking about my 28mm which is the lens I normally use on my M8, of course), am I right?

Ed

Correct.

Shoot either eye. Don't much think about it.

Ah, you must be amphibious.

I have to shoot left eye since I'm strongly left eye dominant. If I shoot right eye, I have to squeeze my left eye shut to focus and my eye gets tired of trying to keep it closed. Shooting with my left eye, I can keep my right eye open which is more relaxed. But I do get tired of the smears on the lcd...

Good post

I am ambidextrous from playing the drums over 30 years... I've learned to have the camera in either hand, horizontal or vertical and use both eyes simultaneously... either the right eye with left open or the left with right open. I use the right eye when i'm doing summer baseball because i can keep my left eye open to anticipate plays or pitching...

The only thing that stinks is as I've gotten older, my close focus distance stinks... so i usually have glasses in my pocket to inspect afterward.

My non-scientific survey shows that 7 out of 10 M8 owners prefer the right eye... here's the proof - M8Owners :D

And 15 out of 75 or about 20% shoot with both eyes open based on this survey. Of course for the left eyed shooters opening the right eye makes no sense in landscape mode. They really need a M8T with a plexiglass body (again I will gladly accept a percentage from dr. andreas for this novel marketing concept). Or you could shoot upside down I guess but even Australians do not do that.