Left or right eye?

edinsiam

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm when Im thinking about it, right eye, but If I don't pay attention the camera tends to go to the left.. evidence nose prints on the display. have always been that way, though the nose-print problem did not become evident until the rise of digital cameras.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is often said that most people are right-eyed because they are righthanded, but I am righteyed and lefthanded! When I learnt to shoot large caliber revolvers, I had to switch my 'eyedness' by using a black pirate patch over my right eye (it took only a few sessions at the range to do that). The reason is that in order to hit the target, you have to absorb the recoil in a straight line.

I learned to write with my left hand--that was in '43, so I had a very progressive schoolmistress. But I shoot rifles from my right shoulder, I simply cannot use a pair of scissors with my left hand, I learned to fly with my right hand on the stick, and I did not like the left-handed Exaktas either. So we are most of us more flexible than we think, and in most cases is it just a bit of re-training that it takes.

And yes, I hold my Leicas to my right eye ...

The old man from the Age of the Rolleiflex

... " Using with the left eye requires removing the camera from your eye to wind negating the usefulness in sequence photography. That is the way these cameras were designed." ...

No. You don't "have to" remove the camera from your left eye to wind onto the next frame.

I'm right eye dominant, and I used to use my right eye to take pictures. After I had LASIK surgery, my left eye is a smidgeon better than the right, and I've been using my left eye to shoot. I do think using the left eye actually may make me a little more stable in holding the system stable while shooting. For my long lenses with the R9/DMR, I do find that my cheek and nose do provide that extra stability for low speed shots (I mean about 1/30 s with 800+ mm lenses) even on a stable tripod.

It is often said that most people are right-eyed because they are righthanded, but I am righteyed and lefthanded! When I learnt to shoot large caliber revolvers, I had to switch my 'eyedness' by using a black pirate patch over my right eye (it took only a few sessions at the range to do that). The reason is that in order to hit the target, you have to absorb the recoil in a straight line.

I learned to write with my left hand--that was in '43, so I had a very progressive schoolmistress. But I shoot rifles from my right shoulder, I simply cannot use a pair of scissors with my left hand, I learned to fly with my right hand on the stick, and I did not like the left-handed Exaktas either. So we are most of us more flexible than we think, and in most cases is it just a bit of re-training that it takes.

And yes, I hold my Leicas to my right eye ...

The old man from the Age of the Rolleiflex

Glad you stopped at two paragraphs... Paragraph three might have given us too much information about your emergence into puberty...

is this style really any useful?

I'm left eye dominant, but since I have to wear glasses, I can't fully benefit from the large Leica viewfinder. Thus, if I shoot with the right eye and leave the left one open, I have a better view of the overall scene. Problem is, I find it difficult to focus this way, so I have to focus with the left eye first and then move to the right. Not the most practical, but there are situations where it's better than shooting left first, i.e. standing at a fixed place and waiting for the right moment. When shooting "on the go" so to speak, I mostly use the left eye.

• 2 weeks later...
Glad you stopped at two paragraphs... Paragraph three might have given us too much information about your emergence into puberty...

I reserve my right to think that my entire posting was about handedness and 'eyedness', and our flexibility in those matters. If you object to that, go elsewhere. Your alternative is to behave in a civil manner.

The old man Baloo with a Right and a Left Paw

Some people do. But it depends on the finder magnification. If it is 1x (like my old OM cameras) or near 1x (M3) then it is easy to keep the off eye open, because the images that the two eyes see are not to different. But with .68 or even .72x magnification--no.

The old man from the Age of the SBLOO

I shoot with my left eye. I wish I could use my right eye, so that I could survey the whole scene with my left eye and catch something going on, then reframe. Despite my efforts, I cannot mange to switch. BTW, I shoot firearms leftie, a bow righty as with everything else.

Left or right is more a question of which eye you see better with...

Seriously, some people are left or right eye dominant. I use my left, never think about it. If you ascribe to any of the phreneological/psychological/astrological beliefs, left eye dominance is indicative of creativity and flexibility, right eye is indicative of rationality and detail orientation... or maybe not...

c.

Does anyone know if Oskar Barnack was left or right eyed? Presume right?