D-Lux 4 or D200!?

tmickan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all

I have switched to shooting wedding almost exclusively with film. I say almost, because there are times when I do use my D200. These are generally for the family shots at the ceremony and also times when I want a bit of fill flash. I am usually in the vicinity of about 28mm up to 50mm in my focal lengths on the D200 (equiv). I have not had the opportunity to handle the D-Lux 4, and viewing images on a screen is one thing, but the quality of prints is really my main concern.

I find it a burden to carry a second camera system with lenses and a huge slr body, in addition to my 3x m's all with attached lenses. I am toying with the idea of switching out the d200 and going for the d-lux 4 with a viewfinder on top to compliment the m's. How will the image stack up against my D200? Has anyone had experience with the a similar type of dslr to compare to the d-lux? I am not looking to improve on iq, i find the d200 does a great job for what I want. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

.... How will the image stack up against my D200...

Short answer: they won´t.

The D-lux 4 is among the best small-sensor cameras ever made, but in this case it won´t cut the cake.

First, it reacts far more slowly than the D200, so you´ll miss shots just because of that.

Second, the D200 (and Nikon in general) has a flash system that´s extremely good with fill flash balancing; eve with only the built-in popup flash, it will beat the Leica.

Third (and this may be either a plus or a minus, depending on circumstances), the depth-of-field under similar circumstances is huge with a small-sensor camera compared to a dSLR. Besides the more obvious differences in image content, this also means, when using flash on camera, that you´ll often have a sharp and busy, but quite underexposed background (where the colour balance will be off, too...) instead of something subdued and quite blurred.

Hey thanks for the input. I have been told that the shutter lag on these cameras is quick but I used a compact a few years ago and it was terrible. Is it still alot slower than the SLR? The depth of field isn't an issue for me as it is only for group shots and fill. I usually use manual flash or even auto on occasion. I would use my Nikon SB800 speedlight. The group shots are posed and therefor shutter lag isn't as much as an issue. This camera will only be used for around 15% of a wedding coverage.

My main concern was with prints up to 16x20. My D200 is a 10mp camera, so the native file size should be the same right? Rarely would this camera go above ISO200.

Hey thanks for the input. I have been told that the shutter lag on these cameras is quick but I used a compact a few years ago and it was terrible. Is it still alot slower than the SLR? The depth of field isn't an issue for me as it is only for group shots and fill. I usually use manual flash or even auto on occasion. I would use my Nikon SB800 speedlight. The group shots are posed and therefor shutter lag isn't as much as an issue. This camera will only be used for around 15% of a wedding coverage.

My main concern was with prints up to 16x20. My D200 is a 10mp camera, so the native file size should be the same right? Rarely would this camera go above ISO200.

OK, only I´m unsure how it would cooperate with an SB800; full manual is always possible, I suppose.

Shutter lag: AF would probably be the main problem, and of course flash recycling if shooting quickly. If you are able to prefocus and lock (easy on the D-lux 4), AF time falls out of the equation

As for resolution and print size as such, I don´t think that´s the problem, unless one stops down a lot (diffraction limit comes early to a small sensor; even f/8 is too much for it).

Then there is the inevitable question of the "impression of professionality" that a hired wedding pro has: if you´re using the same small P/S type camera as Aunt Hattie and Cousin Frank do, there just might be a problem, like it or not (and noone will know the difference between the Dl 4 and any cheap Pentax or Samsung....).

okay I will have to look into the nikon speedlite compatabitly. prefocus! how is this done on the dlux, does it have an af lock?

usually have three m's hanging off me at any one time, so I'm not sure if using the dlux will look unprofessional. as they say, the proof is in the prints! i take your point however.

Hi, I think you would be very unwise to do this; If you must have a smaller type camera. and retain the professional aspect, try and get a Digilux 2- you will be much more assured of a good output, as it as a very much better lens set up, and flash combined. I have both the d200, and a digilux 2, for this very reason. Hope this helps !

Advertisement (gone after registration)

okay I will have to look into the nikon speedlite compatabitly. prefocus! how is this done on the dlux, does it have an af lock?

usually have three m's hanging off me at any one time, so I'm not sure if using the dlux will look unprofessional. as they say, the proof is in the prints! i take your point however.

It does have AF lock, but also an even better thing: one can put it on MF, and then get AF assistance when needed just by pressing the "focus" button (actually, that was the way I set my D200 up to work all the time).

Of course, the proof should be in the prints! Only, a lot of people will form their opinion far before they see the prints....

Hi, I think you would be very unwise to do this; If you must have a smaller type camera. and retain the professional aspect, try and get a Digilux 2- you will be much more assured of a good output, as it as a very much better lens set up, and flash combined. I have both the d200, and a digilux 2, for this very reason. Hope this helps !

A second, but reserved, vote for the Digilux 2, it does have a wondeful lens, and bounce flash built right in. But the reaction time is slower than the Dl4, not faster. And the depth-of-field issue is exactly the same. That said, the Digilux 2 is a camera I´ll never part with!

I think best way for you to make your mind is to try the camera and see how it feels. Possibly ask local camera store to rent one for you or even borrow for a shoot?

Then if possible have it alongside you for a shoot or two with the D200 and try to take same or similar shots with both. That should give you the answer you need.

As a hobbyist I don't see image quality being issue between D200 and DL4. But for a pro shooter requirements are quite different.. fex I hardly ever print anything, let alone something big. So on that part I can't really comment. But in theory 10mp is 10mp, no matter what the size of the sensor or body. So stricktly pixel wise there isn't going to be any difference to the prints.

The main issues between dslr and a compact are something completely different from pixel count.. many of them mentioned earlier in this thread. In many ways I tend to agree with the earlier comments - safe defaults as answers. But ultimately your shooting style and preferences are what settle the score. So in that sense it's trial and error.

Out of curiosity, you said you already have 3 M's around your neck. Where do you even need another camera? Surely you can cover the necessary focal lengths with those. Is it because of the flash or?

Just my 2 cents worth.. maybe little less :cool:

//Juha

I have a D300 in addition to the D-Lux 4 and you really cannot compare the two.

A D-Lux 4 may be a better choice for you for several reasons, but it will rarely produce pictures equivalent to a D200/300.

I use the D-Lux 4 where the D300 is too big/intrusive and it produces very nice pictures, but for the reasons stated above it will only on very rare occasions give you IQ similar to a D200.

my focal lengths are well covered, in fact I rarerly use the 90mm, often only using a half a roll per wedding. I only use the D200 for the obligatory family shots in front of the church, or similar, and this is a task that certainly isn't a stretch for the camera. I am usually shooting these shots fairly wide at mid aperturess (5.6 or 8). I'm not looking for great bokeh in these situations. The other time I use it is for fill flash. The 1/2000th flash sync of the d-lux is appealing here.

Per, that's a great link. Thanks. I had a look at the Leica today and it was smaller than I expected. I am leaning towards selling the D200, my lenses, filters et al, and tipping the lot into some more m mount lenses and getting the D-Lux 4. Thank you all for your help.