Please keep me from selling the M8 for a Nikon D40

cme4brain

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yea Imants, and now theyre extinct. Next thing you will be heading to tassie to make sure all the tiggers are all gone. You could take your hippy mate to get a job with Gunns loggin for stuff to make crosses. Duno what Pete would say. Maybe hes been given a holiday too.

Edited by rob_x2004

Guest stnami

Rob the Hippy heard there was a folk festival in a disused coal mine held by alcoa up your way over easter so I'm going with me mate from Telstra and his kid, get a early start to the Tassie Open Mensa Spelling Bee. The ward will have to do without me, the old egg on face caper

Never realised Gunns was making crosses for the Vatican, bloody Kev and his midnight oil mate renigged. I hear the Hydro mob and Gunns are banning Leicas as the photos of deforrestation look like the forrests are actually deforrested, not like those plastic trees canon and nikon make.

ps The tiggers are alive and I'll be there for the Anzac day twoup comp...... none of this heads and tails stuff just two heads the govt wins

Edited by stnami

No brainer Im. Holiday destination

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You wate Pete. I'm gonna plant a capsicum smilie.

As Chief of Neurology at my local hospital, it is I who is consulted for at times life and death issues. I also am a member of Mensa and have a Magna Cum Laude in Mechanical Engineering... I won't be returning here (not that you care) and will leave you to yourselves.

I'm a bit surprised that someone with these credentials needs to consult the likes of us about whether to sell a chump change camera. I think your post was nothing more than an excuse to post photos of your house and tell us all how great you are. Too bad you left before showing us the car in your driveway. Rolls? Benz? Bentley?

As Chief of Neurology at my local hospital, it is I who is consulted for at times life and death issues. I also am a member of Mensa and have a Magna Cum Laude in Mechanical Engineering.

Phew! What size hat do you wear?

I'm a bit surprised that someone with these credentials needs to consult the likes of us about whether to sell a chump change camera. I think your post was nothing more than an excuse to post photos of your house and tell us all how great you are. Too bad you left before showing us the car in your driveway. Rolls? Benz? Bentley?

Hi Brent,

I don't think that's fair. I think Lloyd listed his credentials in response to some assertions about his intelligence, etc. He's not the first bright person to debate over his or her choice of camera. That seems pretty common to me and I can see why he may have felt the need to defend himself in this thread. It happens all the time.

Cheers,

Sean

FWIW, and feel free to ignore the following if desired, my thoughts on this whole comparing cameras/lenses processes are these. There are really two ways to go about it.

1. Use the cameras and lenses in question for your usual photography over a period of time and note your gut responses to the results, feel, finder, speed, size, weight, gestalt, etc. In other words, work from broad impressions and see what feels and looks like it is working best for you.

2. Do careful side by side testing but be very thorough about it. If there are any confounding variables in your testing than the results may be worthless or, worse, may suggest false conclusions.

This kind of side by side testing takes a lot of time and attention and, frankly, is often mind-numbingly boring. But casual side by side testing is often more misleading than illuminating. The web, IMO, is full of casual side by side tests that lead people to conclusions which are misleading. I'm speaking generally now but this can lead to long debates and arguments that are really based on results that don't tell one much.

In other words, if one isn't prepared to do the side by side tests very carefully (stripping away as many confounding variables as possible) it's often better to skip the process all together and instead rely on the more impressionistic result instead.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by sean_reid

Sean,

As a man of science and after many years of analytical analysis, I vote for your "rely on the more impressionistic result instead." It just feels right.

Rick.

p.s. Doctor, do you happen to have a viable, non-pithed cat to stalk in that McMansion?

1. Use the cameras and lenses in question for your usual photography over a period of time and note your gut responses to the results, feel, finder, speed, size, weight, gestalt, etc. In other words, work from broad impressions and see what feels and looks like it is working best for you. Sean

FWIW I suspect that the crux of this whole thread is about expectation. If your 'usual' photography' is relatively undemanding and the end output does not require excessive scrutiny then there are many cameras will produce acceptable results.

The paradox of the M8 is that its high cost is not reflected in its abilities to provide 'quality' results easily. IMHO it is a camera capable of producing excellent images provided it has sufficient 'user input' - it is a "photographer's camera". This flies in the face of most of the photographic market where increased cost is reflected in increased and often quite esoteric specification and extreme automation (I've never used many of the functions on my Canons, and the idea that multi pattern metering is a form of authomation simply doesn't occur to many people who use such systems).

Whilst I have friends who I am certain would find the M8 an absolute dream camera, I have others who would find it frustrating and who would fail to understand why anyone would want one. To me it looks like the original poster simply chose wrongly for his 'usual photography' requirements (possibly based on the cost = 'ease of use and quality' equation) - quite simple - and the reflecting on the attributes quoted by Sean above unfortunately cannot change this.

Sheesh, these digi forum threads go on and on. Doesn't anyone ever go and take any pictures? Flicking through the contributions I was struck by Sean Reid's comments on zone focusing. I used the CV before getting a 24 ASPH and definitely noticed a difference -- not just close up, and interior shots in low light wide open, but overall color temperature as well. Of course it's the glass. But that was M6 not M8. If you feel you get better pictures from the D40, of course go for it!