Please keep me from selling the M8 for a Nikon D40

cme4brain

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is all hot air. The bottom line for me is: I take better photographs using the M8. Because it is a better camera in (pseudo)scientific tests? No -that is obvious BS. Because it is the camera that fits my mind and my hand best - that is all. Of course the same argument holds true for the next person and the next camera. So why should we keep you form exchanging your M8 for a D40 - if that is the camera that fits you best - be happy. But don't rationalize by "testing". And certainly don't do that before a public of people who know about photography and cameras;).

Edited by jaapv

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is all hot air. The bottom line for me is: I take better photographs using the M8. Because it is a better camera in (pseudo)scientific tests? No -that is obvious BS. Because it is the camera that fits my mind and my hand best - that is all. Of course the same argument holds true for the next person and the next camera. So why should we keep you form exchanging your M8 for a D40 - if that is the camera that fits you best - be happy. But don't rationalize by "testing". And certainly don't do that before a public of people who know about photography and cameras;).

Absolutely. This is old debating topic for which there is no single answer. The right camera must fit your personal style and photographic needs, period.

It's like if I had two cars they would probably be a station wagon and a sports car. Used for different purposes and I would never confuse the two. Likewise, I wouldn't complain that the station wagon has lousy pickup and the sports car can't carry a load larger than a lunch bucket...

Doug

I couldn't agree with you more Jaap. There is no single 'perfect' camera. If there were such a thing, then we wouldn't have such a choice available. Different cameras suit different applications, and different people. What is wonderful for one, may be horrible for another. I use a variety of different cameras depending upon my needs and sometimes even my mood. One of my favourite cameras is a Voigtlander Perkeo 1, which is over 50 years old. It takes as good a photograph today as it did when it was new. Probably even better, as film emulsion has improved a lot in that time. Just find the camera that suits your needs, and that you enjoy using. :)

Oh, pardon me! A thread not approved by you or initiated by one with your approved photographic experience! Please provide your "approval form" in triplicate so that us, the lowly compared to others in this forum, may submit a request for a thread. We surely do not wish to waste your time if you don't approve of the subject or have enough posts (experience) on this forum! You must be busy finding a cure for cancer and the economic crisis, and the time wasted on this forum has doomed mankind- so sorry. If you read the original thread, you would not have come to your above conclusion. I initiated it wanting opinions; what I found was a arrogance of attitude from those such as yourself. If this thread is beneath you, don't waste your precious time saving the world, one photograph at a time! And remember your above comment about the fact that one camera is not better because of a (pseudo)scientific test. When I have read threads that stated cameras/lenses other than Leica are essentially equal to Leica, posters blasted the thread that someone would even *question* the religion that is Leica.

Despite all your qualifications reading seems to be a bit hard - nowhere I said that I disapprove of your thread - I merely stated that imo it is hot air - and I think I am entitled to my opinion. So, as I said, don't go into self-justifacitory fake tests, just buy or keep the camera you are happy with. And yes - people with photographic experience will easily see that the original shots are invalid to prove whatever point you intended to make.

cme4brain, not sure if you read my post above but your M8 pic does not look sharp enough for some reason. Poor lens, motion blur, focussing problem, i don't know but an M8 with Leica lens can do much better than that. BTW i'm a Nikonian as well and i don't like much the M8 so i have no agenda.

cme4brain, If you must exchange your M8 for a Nikon, get the D90, not the D40. The D40 can only take certain lenses, not the full-line, and doesn't have the "build quality"of the D90. You can grow with the D90 and will stagnate with the D40. I think you will be happier with the D90 in the long run. Russell

I couldn't agree with you more Jaap. There is no single 'perfect' camera. If there were such a thing, then we wouldn't have such a choice available. Different cameras suit different applications, and different people. What is wonderful for one, may be horrible for another. I use a variety of different cameras depending upon my needs and sometimes even my mood. One of my favourite cameras is a Voigtlander Perkeo 1, which is over 50 years old. It takes as good a photograph today as it did when it was new. Probably even better, as film emulsion has improved a lot in that time. Just find the camera that suits your needs, and that you enjoy using. :)

YES!