R8 and DMR modification

PasMichiel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a question:

What are the changes that have to be made on the R8 to have de DMR fit and work?

How can I see that that is already done? I have a Third version of the R8 as I could see in the list: Leica FAQ - R8 versions and serial numbers

So probably I don't have a problem with the electronics.

Later R8s should work fine with the DMR, and even some older ones don't have any problems.

However, the firmware in the camera needs tweaking on older models, and Leica will change the gold contacts from the flat head ones to rounded head ones, to ensure better contact with the DMR unit.

Leica updates the firmware whenever an R8 is returned to Solms for any kind of service, but the contacts change needs to be requested specifically. As far as I know, Leica do not charge you when changing the contacts.

My R8 still has the flat contacts, and it worked fine with the DMR when I owned one, so you may or may not be lucky.

You probably can tell me what kind of ground glass people use. I think the spitscreen is okay,but some change that when they go digital. Why?

And some people change the view-finder with magnifying glass. But why? Do you become blind when you go digital? :)

It is more the lens you use. The universal is fine for most applications, but long/slow lenses and macro work much better with a full matte screen. The full matte witrh grid is excellent for wideangle work and the microprism one - well, rather for nothing:o. The clear with cross is when the body is fitted to a microscope.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's the screens if one (as I) can't remember which is which.

I too use the Universal screen again after having used a Microprism screen from Brightscreen.

I guess, without thinking about it normally, what I do is I use the center of the Universal screen to get towards focus but then often use the outer matte area to see when it's in focus. It's almost like intuition to use a matte area, but I think it works the best.

http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/r_system/accessories/accessories_for_the_camera/viewfinder_accessories/3820.html

Thanks for the reply. I know the different screens. But there is nothing about the preferred one for digital.

I do like the universal. I used it with the R4, R5 en now on the R8.

With the universal I can focus in three methods so you can check it one way or the other. I start with the split part. I try to get a straight part (with a portrait for example: nose or glasses). Then I look if the grid part is fading away and for the focus depth I look at the rest.

But I can't think of anything changing that going digital. Is it?

The preferred screen for the DMR is the one that comes with the DMR - that has the crop frame on the glass, so that you can see what the sensor is going to record.

It also has the trad split screen and microprisms.

Focussing is no different when using the DMR as when you are not. The lens doesn't know it's on a camera with a DMR, neither does the focussing screen. You use the camera exactly as normal, but just have to remember the crop - hence the guidelines on the screen.

Doug Herr uses a plain ground glass screen, though, IIRC.

Aha. Now I understand. Not everything witch you see will be on the picture. It's not full frame. Of course.

What is exactly the factor? x1,5? So, a 50mm will be 75mm? Or something?

So the crop screen is a kind of universal screen with grid as Overgaard showed in the picture at the bottom right.

The crop factor is ~1.3, so a 50mm becomes a 65mm equivalent.

Not quite - it looks like this one

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/388758-REG/Leica_14395_Uniform_Ground_Glass_Focusing.html

The experience is very similar to that of using an M - you can see beyond the "frameline", in this case, beyond the "crop line".

Yes I saw after I posted it.

It's less what I sometimes do now. I use an adapter to an EOS :eek:. Yeah sorry...

I couldn't find a DMR the right price.

Most of the times I make analogue pictures which I develop in my own darkroom. But when I am lazy... I take a Canon (with a Leica lens)

I do hate it however. I don't have the spit screen for example. And it's small.

So this is a better place to look (so I should have the 14 392):

http://www.summilux.net/r_system/racc_f.htm

R8/R9

verre-14343.jpg

14 343

R8/R9 + Digital-Modul-R

verre-14392.jpg

14 392

Edited by PasMichiel