I'm new here need advice

m6305

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Simone. I don't know whether you already have bought your gear. I saw you quoted prices in British pounds. I live in London, and buy second hand Leica lens(es) and bodies from Aperture. They are very friendly and have quite a stock of Leica and Nikon products. Have a look at their website, for a list of their current stock. You should also check Robert White and the Classic Camera shop, where I bought my first M6 TTL body and 50 summicron. They are not as nice as the Aperture guys, and they seem more collectors oriented. Happy snapping.

I started Leica photo about 2 years ago, with an M6 TTL and 50 f2. Now I am more fond of the 35 f1.4 ASPH. It is all a question of how close you need to be to the subject, and 35 forces you to step in. My girlfriend, on the contrary, hates the 35 and insists on the 50. Both are amazing lenses which are great to operate and give very good results. I love the simplicity of the RF system: you can 'simply' forget the gear, and focus on the subject.

I use a semi-digital process: I take all my pictures on Tri-X (B&W 400 ISO), and develop them myself at home with a changing bag. Then I scan them to print a contact sheet, and get the best ones printed, or published on the web. When I need color, I use Kodachrome (from Jessops), that Kodak develops in Switzerland. This way I can either project them, or scan and post on the web. I will probably wait for the M9, before buying a digital M, seeing the current issues of the M8.

hi,

after all the chaos with the m8, and all the discounts for film leica cameras, i decided to buy an mp. even with the $500 extra discount you get, i decided to buy a used 35mm lux.

i prefer 50mm, but as eventually i will be getting a digital leica in a year or two, this will cover my basis.

i might use the $500 in a 50mm later on.

it really depends on how you see the world and the style of photography you take. lenses are expensive, but you can get good deals on used ones. i bought mine from popflash and i definitely recommend them.

it's good to be back on film after so many years on digital.

Hi Simone,

a hearty welcome from me, too. One point that wasn't mentioned so far is rangefinder accuracy. If you restrict yourself to a f2 50mm lens, such as the Summicron 50mm, you'll be fine with either a Bessa R2A or a Leica, but if you consider the 1.5/50 Zeiss lens, I would advise against the Bessa, as its rangefinder base is a lot smaller than a Leica's, and therefore focusing accuracy at the full aperture of the lens will make it quite difficult with the Bessa to put the focus exactly where you want it. This is one of the biggest advantages of the Leica M, it has a very large physical rangefinder base and, therefore, almost unrivalled focusing accuracy.

I own and use both a Bessa R2 and a Leica M7, and while I like both cameras, focusing is easier, quicker and definetely more accurate with the Leica. So my vote, too, goes for the M6 and a Summicron 50mm lens (either used or new, as you can afford).

Cheers,

Andy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All digi RF have a multiplication factor because the sensors are smaller than the lens. If you want to end up with a 50 on digi, you need a 35 for film. It works out the same.

Leica lens only glow if there is dirt or haze inside or there are light sources ner the pic and you don`t use a shade.

An m6 can be bought or sold with little loss and is a far better camera than a Besa. CV lenses are equal to 1980 Leica lenses optically with somewhat less quality mechanical contruction.

If you would be happy with 2.8, the new 50 2.8 is a gem. All Summicrons are nice, but watch out for user damage like scratches. Some are getting very old.

Reframe you question as to whether you need a fast or slow lens and what focal length. You will get better answers. Don`t expect a review of every lens available.