The Pub with No Beer.

elansprint72

Pete - I find the series very haunting, sad and mildly disturbing. I love the capstan shaped bollards - very fitting for The Admiral. The estate can only be about 30 years old as the houses have no chimneys. Out of interest where is this?

Pete - I find the series very haunting, sad and mildly disturbing. I love the capstan shaped bollards - very fitting for The Admiral. The estate can only be about 30 years old as the houses have no chimneys. Out of interest where is this?

Not as haunting as I found it earlier today! The location is Ancoats, which is about a mile from the centre of Manchester. I photographed this area in the early 70's for the local newspaper; remnants of these films formed the original Life on Mars series. At that time the terraces of houses were boarded up but had just a few remaining tennants(!). There were mills and other semi-derelict buildings, scrapyards, foundries and places which even I would not venture into. So nothing much has changed. ;)

What I found really disturbing was the fact that the council had (under some obligation?) cut all the lawns and tidied everything up, so that the estate roadways were pristine- of course there were none of the "scum" left to trash it! The only folks remaining were, presumably, those unfortunates who had spent their hard-earned in the Thatcher "right to buy" schemes and were now trapped in worthless properties in deserted landscapes. :(

I'm guessing that the Council had been hoping to cash in on this land in the recently-failed property boom. Back to the drawing-board, chaps.

Edit; the street is called Rodney Street and presumably a special mould had to be made to cast those nautical bollards- this shows how much effort was put into making this a place worth living in. Pearls before swine? Feeding strawberries to donkeys?

Edited by elansprint72