Sign in to follow this  
poynterama

Leica slide mounts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not that I post here all that often, but I've been hiding away for the last few months playing with my 'new' Coolscan IV

It has taken me quite some time (and forum searching) to extract decent images from negs and slides but I think I'm improving.

I have a number of slides of my father's to scan (dating from the early 1950's I believe, taken with his IIf), many of which have badly degraded. I notice that some of them are in what look like aluminium slide mounts (of the glass sandwich type) with the Leica emblem on them! I have tried scanning them but have terrible problems with Newton rings on the images. I can't figure out how to un-mount the film from the mount without destroying the mount- can anyone advise on how to do this? They look like they have been crimped together.

I may post a few images on the forum, although you must promise not to laugh at my scanning attempts!

I have been meaning to buy some sort of screen calibration device as I don't think the colours on my screen are what I'm actually scanning (maybe I should start another thread...) but the decent ones seem outside my budget.

i'll be looking forward to seeing those classic slides.how about posting pics of the aluminum slides?

i'll be looking forward to seeing those classic slides.how about posting pics of the aluminum slides?

That would be cool

Do

No worries

Here is an example- it was taken at the Queens Domain in Hobart in the early 1950's. The film stock is Super Anscochrome. The first few scans came out with a terrible yellow muddy cast to them- this seems acceptable on my monitor though

Feel free to make any adjustments you see fit (I'm still a rank amateur at scanning!)

Plenty of guys in here use the coolscan. To get the ball rolling it might be an idea to list your scan settings and ask a few specific questions.

One thing to remember is scanning is a black art, and that few people scan then present the image they get without first editing the image. Sometimes to get the best you start from a scan file that appears really nasty when you view it.

Alternatively you learn to toggle your settings or use an after market programme that take a good bit of the post process out of the workflow by doing an amount of that work in their customizable settings. Like you found, they can be pretty exy.

Good luck with it, by the look of the image you posted there should be some very interesting stuff.

Not that I post here all that often, but I've been hiding away for the last few months playing with my 'new' Coolscan IV It has taken me quite some time (and forum searching) to extract decent images from negs and slides but I think I'm improving.

I have a number of slides of my father's to scan (dating from the early 1950's I believe, taken with his IIf), many of which have badly degraded. I notice that some of them are in what look like aluminium slide mounts (of the glass sandwich type) with the Leica emblem on them! I have tried scanning them but have terrible problems with Newton rings on the images. I can't figure out how to un-mount the film from the mount without destroying the mount- can anyone advise on how to do this? They look like they have been crimped together.

I may post a few images on the forum, although you must promise not to laugh at my scanning attempts!

I have been meaning to buy some sort of screen calibration device as I don't think the colours on my screen are what I'm actually scanning (maybe I should start another thread...) but the decent ones seem outside my budget.

I am pretty sure they were Perrocolor mounts, also sold under their own name.

Probably more exoensive with the Leica logo though

Gerry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am pretty sure they were Perrocolor mounts, also sold under their own name.

Probably more exoensive with the Leica logo though

That rings a bell; maybe I saw it in an old Leitz catalogue.

IIRC the only way to get the film out is to sacrifice the mount.