Bizarre message from C1

JHAG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

and have these problems with ALL your apps...:rolleyes:;)
for the Bill Gates converts using uninstall/reinstall to solve all your problems is second nature, as is rebooting, so we can deal with occasional minor glitches. Mac user have no idea whatsoever what machinery is under the bonnet it would appear.

Meanwhile it is worth recalling that a substantial part of the "classic mac" software & firmware was written by Microsoft/Bill Gates.

Such as?

Word? Excel?

When the Mac was introduced, Gates was on the podium to assure future buyers that there would be software support. Microsoft wrote the earliest software for the Mac.

State of the 1984 Art: Bill Gates Raves About the Mac | Cult of Mac

Despite what anyone thinks Gates has supported Macs and Microsoft invested in the company and at a time when Apple was in declining, reassured users that Microsoft would keep updating apps for Mac software.

Microsoft to invest $150 million in Apple - CNET News

The whole Mac/PC thing is sort of like all the phony animosity at the weigh in before a big boxing match. (Or wrestling.) It generates attention.

I'm glad some of the money that Gates got from me is now going into the Gates Foundation - a lot going to medical research that may improve the health and well being of many people worldwide.

As for C-1. I just looked and they released version 4.7 today. So maybe try that.

Edited by AlanG

Such as? Word? Excel?
No I think it was microcode type of stuff. Printer drivers & what have you. But AlanG's links also add some info to the whole picture. I think there was an edition of Scientific American in 1984 (june/juli...?) that was raving about the Mac (justly so) and also mentioned Bill Gates c.s. involvement. There was also stuff about the revolution brought about by spreadsheets (Lotus123), cellular automata etc.

This was a "future of computers" dedicated edition of SCIAM but I would need to check the details.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No I think it was microcode type of stuff. Printer drivers & what have you. But AlanG's links also add some info to the whole picture. I think there was an edition of Scientific American in 1984 (june/juli...?) that was raving about the Mac (justly so) and also mentioned Bill Gates c.s. involvement. There was also stuff about the revolution brought about by spreadsheets (Lotus123), cellular automata etc.

From Wikipedia - Microsoft Multiplan spreadsheet - April,1984, Word - January1985

Consider that Microsoft was the first outside company to make software for it and had to have all of the info about the OS, hardware, and graphical interface pretty early on. (MacWrite and MacPaint were in house.)

Gates too knew what they had at Xerox PARC and understood the value of a graphical interface. Remember, Microsoft did not make computers and was mostly supplying Basic, and other programming languages to computer companies, DOS to IBM and a few apps. IBM only came to Microsoft for the OS because Microsoft was selling a CPM card that went into an Apple II. IBM thought that Microsoft had written the operating system CPM and wanted to license it for their new PC. Gates told them to deal with Gary Kildall at Digital Research - they developed and owned CPM. In one of the stupidest moves in computer history, Digital Research couldn't make a deal with IBM and the meeting fell apart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Kildall

Gates knew that DOS was a dog from day one but bought it in order to sell it to IBM, make the PC viable, and close the deal on Basic interpreter which was needed in the IBM's ROM. Gates saw the potential in the Mac from early on and tried to get Jobs to license the Mac OS in order to build a bigger installed base so Microsoft could develop and sell a lot of software for it.

Edited by AlanG