Panasonic LC1 - Leica D2 DIY hack for 3:2 aspect ratio guides

koray

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I would like to share a modification that I did to my Panasonic LC1 last night. Some of you might find it useful, so here it is.

From my film days and with my other digital cameras (R1 & 30D), I got used to shooting in 3:2 aspect ratio (which I find much more appealing). However, my newly acquired LC1 doesn't allow me to do that, reminds the whole thing into guesswork. After taking few photos, I noticed that if I cropped the 4:3 image the whole composition was going astray. So I decided to put some sort of guidelines on the LCD.

I tried putting two lines on the LCD window with a permanent felt pen. No, it didn't help, you need to look straight to make sure they appear in correct positions. So I decided to put them between the TFT unit and glass cover. I could have marked the TFT using a pen, but I thought the fine machinery of the camera would request something more of a 'steampunk' style. So I chose to put thin wires. :-)

Here is the final result:

3401437028_442c501a34.jpg

Here is a flickr set that I created, describing the process:

Panasonic LC1 LCD aspect ratio guide hack... - a set on Flickr

And here is another flickr set that I created earlier, describing the total strip down process for LC1/D2:

Panasonic LC1 Disassembly - a set on Flickr

Hope you'll enjoy them...

K.

Very, very interesting....but I don't think I'll be trying to tackle it.

and how do you keep that LC1 so spotless? Not a finger mark or spot of dust to be seen.

Thanks for the striptease show - post it over on the Digilux 2 Group forum, they'll be drooling

Really good stuff - You're one brave soul!!

Thanks for sharing :)

Wilson

I am glad you liked it! :-) I repair cameras for fun (and a second income), I've gone through many Canon DSLRs, so this was not that hard!

K.

Very, very interesting....but I don't think I'll be trying to tackle it.

and how do you keep that LC1 so spotless? Not a finger mark or spot of dust to be seen.

Thanks for the striptease show - post it over on the Digilux 2 Group forum, they'll be drooling

I try keeping my cameras clean, but since all of them are bought broken/faulty, I don't care about few scratches and dents (my 30D even has a nice big crack on top cover). They add character. This LC1 hasn't seen any use yet, of course.

I've been dying for an LC1 for years, and I finally got my hands on one last month (I hated myself for not getting one earlier). This one came with sensor problem but Panasonic paid for the repair. I received the camera last week, but sadly the repair shop did a horrible job. They misplaced two of three shims that sit under the sensor so the camera was focusing beyond infinity (and missing macro action, and wrong scale numbers). Oh and they didn't forget to leave their fingerprints on the IR-cut filter. Anyway, I corrected all these problems, and now I also have the 3:2 reminder guides, so I am ready to shoot. I think I will mostly use it like a ISO100 B/W rangefinder. It hasn't seen any real use yet, I am just getting used to it.

I tried joining the D2 group, but couldn't. I think it is because I am still a new member... You are welcome to give a link to my post...

Cheers!

K.

Koray, I have an LC1 bought in summer 2005 which gave nearly three years of wonderful pictures but failed with the sensor problem last year.

I contacted Panasonic UK to arrange a repair but they were quite rude about it when they heard that the camera had been bought via eBay. They said I would have to bear the full cost of the repair which they estimated at £200-£300 but didn't even seem willing to arrange it.

Someone from this forum put me in touch with a third-party repairer, but even with them I would have had to pay over £200 and with only a 3 month warranty on the repair.

How did you manage to get Panasonic UK to pay for a sensor repair on a second-hand camera which was far outside its warranty?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Normally a sensor failure is covered by extended warrantee - both by Leica and Panasonic. But I have spoken several Panasonic owners who had to fight for it. Leica is much better in this rspect.

• 5 months later...

Here is an update to the original links above:

First, complete disassembly procedure for LC1/D2 twins:

Panasonic LC1 & Leica Digilux 2 disassembly guide Repair notes

Second, Panasonic LC1 LCD unit 3:2 hack:

Panasonic LC1 & Leica Digilux 2 LCD 3:2 ratio guide hack Repair notes

I don't have time to put annotation now, but I will try to update them later.

Good luck,

Koray

I would send it to USA repair .Just tell them this is a bulletin repair .There is also a a link on the Panasonic USA site that shows you the bulletin .If you cant find it I have it somewhere. You will have to pay postage to Illinois and back. In my case less then 2 months ago they paid the shipping back but that was a USA location. Also make sure the serial number has 4 in it if not they wont cover it.You have a later sensor.