75 Summilux at f/2

farnz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The threads I've read about the 75mm Summilux and the 75mm Summicron often end up providing a general wisdom that the Summilux is an excellent lens but it is so sharp that it produces portraits that can be unflattering to older subjects whereas the Summicron offers a slightly 'softer' rendering that is often more pleasing.

I'm considering adding a fast 75 to my lens family and my question is: how does the 75mm Summilux perform at f/2 in comparison with its Summicron sister and does it produce the same, more forgiving rendering at that aperture?

My thanks in advance for your comments.

Pete.

Other way round. It's the Summicron which is pin sharp, not surprising given its similarity to the 50mm Summilux ASPH. The 75mm Summilux is a much older design, more closely related to the original Noctilux and pre-ASPH Summilux and is quite a bit softer than the Summicron. Still a great lens for portraiture where it is more forgiving than the Summicron.

Yes, Mark has it right. I've never owned a 75 lux. However, the 75 cron is a great lens. It also happens to have a very short and easy to use focus throw and can focus down to 0.7 m providing for a fine reproduction ratio. In addition, I've noticed a painting like quality to how it renders when slightly out of focus.

The Summilux 75 has a unique fingerprint wide open that can best be described as 3-D, caused by the sharp plane of focus and soft OOF areas. The Summicron 75 is similar to the 90 Summicron AA, which is more precise and contrasty with harsher OOF rendering. Imo the "Dream Team" is a Summilux 75 and a Summicron 90AA.