Anyone play with the SF 58?

Srutkay74

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have done a cut down PDF version of the manual in English language only (other language pages deleted), as a carry around reference for my laptop. I am happy to email this to anyone who requires it.

Wilson

Wouldn't the printed manual be easier to carry around than the laptop :)

Did you confirm that you can now adjust exposure compensation on the flash when using it in GNC mode?

Robert

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wouldn't the printed manual be easier to carry around than the laptop :)

Did you confirm that you can now adjust exposure compensation on the flash when using it in GNC mode?

Robert

Robert,

I am thinking of when I am traveling overseas. I have PDF copies of all my various manuals in PDF format on my Mac Air, so that I don't need to carry any of them. Leica manuals, as they are multilingual, tend to be on the large side and if you have a camera manual and a couple of flash manuals, it adds up.

EV adjustment - yes you can adjust in GNC mode. It is actually simpler than the SF24D. You just press the set button twice and the first set menu item that comes up is EV +/-. So far not needed. The exposure seems far more accurate on an M8 than the SF24D. I was pre-preparing myself to be a bit disappointed, especially at the quite high price, even allowing for the discount I get at my Leica shop as a customer of very long standing. I am delighted to say that it exceeds my expectations both in performance and the logicality and simplicity of the interface.

I would reiterate what I posted above. A Sto-Fen mini-softbox (Model - Omnibounce MZ80 - about £12 in the UK), is a very useful and cheap accessory.

Wilson

Here is a quick pic of the SF58 on my M8 with the Sto-Fen fitted.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After reading about the SF 58 I'd like to use it together with my MZ 54i's.

I'd like to know if the SF 58 will communicate with the MZ 54i's via Metz Remote on channel 1 or 2. If so, I could use the 54's as slaves. Of course there would always be the possibilty to have the 54's be triggered by the flash of the 58, but TTL would be nice.

As for the price, in the netherlands it's €299 for all the other (C,N,O,S, etc) brands, and €599 for the 'red dot version'. Kind of makes you wonder...

As for the price, in the netherlands it's €299 for all the other (C,N,O,S, etc) brands, and €599 for the 'red dot version'. Kind of makes you wonder...

Peter,

You have to remember that each SF58 has been individually rubbed with snake oil by Swabian virgins under the light of a blue moon ;-}}

Wilson

Another interesting "featurette" as Microsoft used to call them in the communication between the 58 and an M8. If you mount a WATE, with the M8 set to "Lens Dependent Auto Slow Sync" the sync speed always shows as 1/250", whereas I would expect it to be around 1/24" when set at 21mm. A summilux 35 shows the correct 1/30" sync speed and a 50mm 1/60".

When you mount the WATE, the 58 sensibly changes from Auto Zoom to Manual Zoom 24mm, the widest it will go and then if you slide the wide angle diffuser over the flash, it shows manual zoom 18mm - again sensible.

No pre-flash in A mode.

Wilson

Ivo,

So you're saying in A mode there is no pre-flash (with the SF 58?)

-g

The pre-flash in TTL mode is un-noticable with the SF58.

And there is no need for pre-flash in A mode. At least that is my understanding of how these things work.:)

The pre-flash in TTL mode is un-noticable with the SF58.

And there is no need for pre-flash in A mode. At least that is my understanding of how these things work.:)

This is very welcome news. I ABSOLUTELY refuse to touch any flash that uses any kind of pre-flash. A pre-flash of any kind totally ruins the spontaneous nature of Leica M photography.

There ... now I feel better!

-g

Peter,

You have to remember that each SF58 has been individually rubbed with snake oil by Swabian virgins under the light of a blue moon ;-}}

Wilson

Well, that explaIns it, than :)

Wilson, the Sto-Fen looks interesting. Is there some space between the flash and the Sto-Fen? One of the original Metz mecabounce 44-90 I used on the MZ 54i turned black after a few rapidly fired flashes. They fit very tight to the MZ 54i.

Maybe someone who has both the SF 58 and the MZ 54i can check if both flashes use the same wireless system, please.

Thanks, Peter

Well, that explaIns it, than :)

Wilson, the Sto-Fen looks interesting. Is there some space between the flash and the Sto-Fen? One of the original Metz mecabounce 44-90 I used on the MZ 54i turned black after a few rapidly fired flashes. They fit very tight to the MZ 54i.

Thanks, Peter

Peter,

The Sto-Fen is a VERY tight fit on the SF58. It is the one designed for an MZ58 and maybe this is a fraction smaller. I am going to give it the "hair dryer treatment" to try and ease the fit.

Wilson

The Sto-Fen is a VERY tight fit on the SF58. It is the one designed for an MZ58 and maybe this is a fraction smaller. I am going to give it the "hair dryer treatment" to try and ease the fit.

Just to be sure, is it the Sto-Fen model OM-MZ80?

Rocky

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

Read thru these forum section and im indeed very interested on the Leica SF 58 Flash model. I have the D-Lux 4 and i'm wondering if anyone here knows that if it is fully compatible. I would love to get one :)

Thanks in advance.

The SF58 looks big on my M8 (see my post #44 above). It would look enormous on a DLUX4. If you want a smaller bounce flash, I would go for the Metz MZ20. There has been a recent thread on this as a replacement for the SF24.

Wilson

The SF58 looks big on my M8 (see my post #44 above). It would look enormous on a DLUX4. If you want a smaller bounce flash, I would go for the Metz MZ20. There has been a recent thread on this as a replacement for the SF24.

Wilson

Hi Wilson, thanks for the info. In fact, i've actually played with both nikon and canon (Speedlite 580 EX). The canon works fine, putting aside the TTL which is not compatible. I was amaze with the picture quality especially in dark areas. I wont really mind to hook this up as it may look odd :D

Just hope that the SF58 is fully functional on D-Lux 4 (including the TTL).

Thanks again.

Hi All,

Read thru these forum section and im indeed very interested on the Leica SF 58 Flash model. I have the D-Lux 4 and i'm wondering if anyone here knows that if it is fully compatible. I would love to get one :)

Thanks in advance.

I don't think so.

Most of the compact cameras have a slightly different hot shoe contact arrangement (you can see this in images of the D-L4) then there big brothers (M8/S2/Nikons/Canons).

So the flash might flash, maybe, but TTL, I don't think so. And even then it might not flash at all.