Sign in to follow this  
Guest John66

Great cameras, but...

and picking only 20? on flickr? come on.... that's not what it's there for.

you misinterpreted my statement

I didn't say that photographers should limit themselves to 20 images...I just said that 20 images is all a photographer needs to show in order to prove that he's a good photographer...There's a difference. A photographer can show as many or as few images as he desires. There are no rules. My point is that it doesn't take a lot of images to make a good impression and a lot of amateurs and hobbyists could benefit from this message...

20 photos used to be considered a standard sized professional portfolio in the pre-internet days...That's why I referred to that number. Experienced shooters (especially in the commercial world) will often have multiple portfolios and edit each specifically to appeal to a certain market. Hobbyists often have different needs than commercial shooters and professional shooters. I understand that....but I'm just giving some friendly information. Maybe it can help give some hobbyists a point of reference when selecting their own images for their own portfolios.

The primary reason for me to use FLICKR is that it provides an easy method of transferring images to other people. I do not claim that the pictures I store there are selected for quality & general interest. I might upload an image there, even it is technically no good, because the receiving side may still like to have it (for example if it was a unique moment for them).

The storage aspect is also important. If the house burns down I will lose a lot of fond memories, personal belongings and all the DNGs but at least some of the pictures will be available. That is something that is important to me even if the image quality is lost.

Maybe I should define a single set as "portfolio" as the place for visitors to go.

Edited by SJP

A photographer can show as many or as few images as he desires. .

A couple of years ago, I went on a group ski trip to Italy. I offered to make a slide show of everyone's photos if they would just send me their best 10-20. One person said she couldn't decide and gave me 450. I edited that down to 20 in under 5 minutes.

Edited by AlanG

I think I've seen enough uninspiring pictures of pets, lamps and walls to make me think there is no hope.

At the risk of being misunderstood....here's how I've learned to organize my thoughts on this situation.

I expect to see snapshots, vacation photos, closeups of pet cats dogs etc if I click on a link that goes to a free host. (Flickr, photobucket, etc) On the contrary, I've found that there are often a higher quality photos and/or better edited photo series available on websites that are owned, hosted and paid for by the photographer. The simple difference between a photographer financing his own hosting as opposed to using a free host can be a great indication of how seriously he takes his work.

Basically, it boils down to this - if you'd like to see less pictures of "pets, lamps and walls" then think twice before clicking on a link that goes to a free hosting site.

Edited by Gentleman Villain

A couple of years ago, I went on a group ski trip to Italy. I offered to make a slide show of everyone's photos if they would just send me their best 10-20. One person said she couldn't decide and gave me 450. I edited that down to 20 in under 5 minutes.

Right on! We definitely share a similar POV on this... I agree with your previous post that stated a portfolio of images is only as good as it's weakest image.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Editing from 450 to 20 of more or less anything should be pretty easy for most people who can recognise what works and what doesn't. It's the next stage of editing that 20 to 2 or 3 that I find difficult <grin>

Editing from 450 to 20 of more or less anything should be pretty easy for most people who can recognise what works and what doesn't. It's the next stage of editing that 20 to 2 or 3 that I find difficult <grin>

i'm the opposite. 20 would be tough for me. 2 i could pick in a second!

The biggest problem I see with amateur photos on the net is lack of editing. Don't post a photo until it has sat around a while (for your excitement to die down) and become brutal .

More true words were seldom said. Without pretending in any way that I am the best photographer around,I limit the uploads to my website to five a month, sometimes (far) fewer. One of my touchstones is the response I get in the photoforum here.

To come back to the division between amateurs and professionals, being one of the dreaded dentist-Leica amateurs, I would like to point out that it is much preferable to be a professional dentist and an amateur photographer than to be a professional photographer and an amateur dentist - at least from the point of view of one's subjects.

In this case there were not 2 or 3 that I would have picked.

As for being an amateur photographer - that gives you the freedom to concentrate on what you are passionate about. I am a professional photographer working on being an amateur artist in my spare time. My cousin is an amateur brain surgeon. No complaints yet.

Separate from good or bad pictures, a lot of images posted on this site are simply tests or examples. That is fine in this context. The opening line in "Lootens on Photographic Enlarging and Print Quality" is "The first thing every aspiring photographer should learn, and that every experienced hand should never forget, is that NOBODY ever made a picture which EVERYONE liked."

Edited by AlanG

Hi Guys, been following this thread - been some great comments, both lively and thoughtful.

Couldn't agree more about editing - from a professional perspective, many people simply don't have the interest (or time) to look at more than 10 photos, 20 at the very most. Editing is definitely an art, but an easy one to learn.

I loved Alan's line "The first thing every aspiring photographer should learn, and that every experienced hand should never forget, is that NOBODY ever made a picture which EVERYONE liked." Not heard that format before, but I'm going to use it often!

Great link to Noor Cyberean.

Thanks All.

No, it needs to be smoked.

Fire up a big spliff and go use your Leica, just like Tim Page did (see his book Mid Term Report) and enjoy the results you get. I think you will look at those photos with a different perspective.

I loved Alan's line "The first thing every aspiring photographer should learn, and that every experienced hand should never forget, is that NOBODY ever made a picture which EVERYONE liked."

Just credit it to Lootens and not to me.

I don't think that's a Leica problem but a general photography problem. Take a look at flickr at the amount of bloody flower pictures there are. Not meaning to annoy any flower lovers out there, but it gets too much.

I still use my Leica's for pretty interesting stuff, taking shots of cocaine lords smoking their product before being sold, inked up gang members and their pets, general documentary stuff.

RIch in mind Hmmm

X: Smoking Hmmm

Documentary Archives Hmmm

it's just a tool at the end of the day, i've seen some utterly rubbish images taken with the high end canon/nikons and hassies.

You have some interesting pictures in there with the drugs and ink.

They must trust you, and you've very tastefully done those shots.

It is refreshing work to view.

Guest stnami

bwcolor commonly known as Mr Bloody WonderfulI.........the reason most of the pictures on this forum are do dull and uninspired, or overly technical, is because people like me don't take it seriously.........

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://etrouko.com.au/art/seriously.jpg&key=b607f78ce5290dfa84749a5fdc7aef6d1816714dd9f658b3ff1f8f42163b3b7e"> Edited by stnami

...the reason most of the pictures on this forum are do dull and uninspired, or overly technical, is because people like me don't take it seriously...

ROFL

Don't bike, unless you are Lance Armstrong, stay away from Tennis courts, unless your name is Roger, ..............and don't dare using Leica gear, unless you are a PRO.

Dear Pros, the only reson Leica is still alive is because of bloody amateurs with more money than interesting pictures buying its prodcuts:p

John 66: Thanks for your perceptive post. I think the reason most of the pictures on this forum are do dull and uninspired, or overly technical, is that the photographers who use the forum are mostly amateurs and fondlers. Once in a while some pro puts up some things (Chris Tribble?) and the difference is at once apparent. The great traditions of Leica lie mainly in the journalistic sphere, and the Leica camera still does well there, being fast, small, very sharp, images contrastly and reproduce well. Don't be discouraged--there is more to life than lamps and kiddies.

who do you think you are? david bailey?

Don't bike, unless you are Lance Armstrong, stay away from Tennis courts, unless your name is Roger, ..............and don't dare using Leica gear, unless you are a PRO.

Dear Pros, the only reson Leica is still alive is because of bloody amateurs with more money than interesting pictures buying its prodcuts:p

My point exactly! (see post #39)

I'm one of the bloody amateurs.

I'm never going to get paid for shooting a wedding or sell a photo to National Geographic but I appreciate good equipment and . . . to a point . . . I'm willing to pay a little extra to get it.

One more thing - - I have paid a little extra for my Leica "gear" but if I amortize the cost over the years that I have owned my cameras and lenses then the cost is not all that bad. (Yes, I know I'm rationalizing.

)

Fire up a big spliff and go use your Leica, just like Tim Page did (see his book Mid Term Report) and enjoy the results you get. I think you will look at those photos with a different perspective.

Heck, why not fire up a big spliff and look at his photo's.