Beautifully handled pictures. Your lighting is really well done. And why not a Leica for these pictures?There is nothing much I cannot do with my film Leicas, lenses from 35mm to 135mm, plus visoflex and bellows. Same argument for an M8. Your pictures were made through your mind's eye, the camera only saved the image you created.

Renniman: True. I have an adapter than slides into the hot shoe and has a PC sync contact. Got it years ago to use on a Nikon 8008, which also lacked a built-in sync socket. A 10-ft (3 meter) sync cord is gaffer taped to the adapter so it never comes loose and gives me lots of room to move around.

LouisB: I used one Vivitar 2800 shoe-mount flash mounted in a 12 x 16 inch softbox on a stand, usually about 2 feet from the subject center, at full power**, for all the shots. I know the 2800 is voltage safe for practically any camera. The flash is mounted via a ball-head clamp for adjusting angle. Exposure is generally f/11-16, which is good - I need the DoF. No flash meter - I just chimp a few test shots for each setup to zero in the exposure via the LCD and histogram.

The softbox was the backdrop for the glassware shot, directly overhead for the chicken/egg shot, and rear/side for the other shots. I used miscellaneous bits of white board or aluminum foil as fill reflectors opposite the main light.

**actually, for the glassware, the flash was a bit hot even at f/16. I dialed back the flash intensity (and evened out the coverage) by putting a layer of paper towel over the flash head to absorb some photons.

I used one Vivitar 2800 shoe-mount flash mounted in a 12 x 16 inch softbox on a stand, usually about 2 feet from the subject center, at full power**, for all the shots. I know the 2800 is voltage safe for practically any camera. The flash is mounted via a ball-head clamp for adjusting angle. Exposure is generally f/11-16, which is good - I need the DoF. No flash meter - I just chimp a few test shots for each setup to zero in the exposure via the LCD and histogram.

The softbox was the backdrop for the glassware shot, directly overhead for the chicken/egg shot, and rear/side for the other shots. I used miscellaneous bits of white board or aluminum foil as fill reflectors opposite the main light.

Adan,

Thanks for the explanations. Would an umbrella have produced roughly the same soft effect as the softbox?

Michael - not for the backlit glass lab equipment - it required a "lightbox"-like seamless translucent surface. A sheet of frosted plexiglass - or a translucent white shower-curtain liner with no texture, stretched tight - would have worked, though.

For the other shots, a reversed umbrella, with the light passing through it, might work OK, although some of the reflections, like in the chicken's back, the olives, or the plastic magnetic compass, would probably be a bit different, showing the umbrella's round shape and ribs.

An umbrella in the normal orientation would have been a problem - the shaft of the umbrella, and the flash gun mounted on it, would have intruded into the pictures, or I'd have had to move the umbrella further away, cutting the light available for exposure, and making it more of a point light source compared to the softbox's big, close, window-like surface.

Softboxes have the advantage that the illuminating surface is the closest thing to the subject - the flashgun and all the hardware are BEHIND the lit surface. Generally, with umbrellas, the flash and stand are between the subject and the umbrella, which limits how close the "lit" surface can get, and means the hardware may show up in the reflections. It's possible to reverse an umbrella so you use the light passing through it - like a round softbox - but the umbrella material often is more opaque than the softbox's white membrane and cuts down on the light reaching the subject.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ggill1313
      Just got my M10 and have been somewhat disappointed by the colors. In some circumstances, they’re absolutely great. In others (and shooting situations which I frequently shoot - backlit subjects who have lighter skin tones), they fall apart when I do any serious color grading. I’ve attached a link for reference. Notice the majority of influence over the skin tones is determined by the purple slider. In my experience on professional Canon systems (as well as Fuji), skin tones are generally captured in the Oranges, Reds, and Yellows. On occasion, I’ve noticed them “bleeding” into the Purples/Magentas, but generally it’s an easy correction with a hue adjustment toward red in Lightroom. This has happened more on my Fuji gear than my Canon, which I thought was just a product of the XTRANS. 
      Images for reference. Note: I’ve increased each slider to 100 to illustrate the influence of the respective slider, not as an artistic decision. https://imgur.com/gallery/mFTvTGz
      I’ve had to do more “additive” color editing (color grading with added oranges/yellows in the mid tones) to get even close to the effect I desire to be consistent with my professional body of work, but it’s tedious and feels more like a workaround as opposed to simply a different process. 
      Is this a hallmark of these sensors? Has anyone else had an issue with skin tones merging into the purples? The issue here is that it doesn’t give me precise and consistent control over tonalities which are consistent with my other work. Not only that, but as opposed to adjusting a couple of sliders to produce the look, I’m adjusting literally three times more to try and get close and, eventually compromise, on the desired look. 
      Also, here is an attached photo with the exposure info as well as histogram illustrating that I’m shooting at base ISO, and exposed with the limitations of the M10 sensor in mind. 
      https://imgur.com/gallery/v2EPnGf
      I want to add that I’ve been shooting for over a decade. This certainly isn’t my first rodeo. The only thing left for me to try is making my own custom color profile, but in over a decade of shooting, this has never been a requisite to get the colors I want out of my photos. 
      Does the M10-R improve on any of these shortcomings?
      Also, I want to preempt against any comments telling me I’m just confused or apologetics from Leica koolaid mixers. I’ve read some responses on this forum before from some of them and they seem to be obstinately opposed to the notion that perhaps the sensors in these cameras aren’t as good. While DXOMark gives the M10 a higher overall score than my 6D, in my experience, the colors are more pliable. Finally, my artistic discretion is going to differ from yours. I have seen a lot of photos posted here in discussion which are also effectively SOOC, with minimal correction. I have a stylized look I go for, which requires flexible colors. 
    • By stvn66
      Do you give a thought to fungus when storing your camera/lens?
      For example do you leave the lens cap off, or avoid storing in a leather case?
    • By Anaes
      I just bought a used M5 and discovered a large translucent stain in the upper end of the rangefinder window. I tried to gently wash the outside of the glass, but it seems to be on the inside. Does anyone know what it is and potentially how bad or harmless it is for the rangefinder window? 
      Should I try to return the camera or can I possibly fix it myself? 
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By piran
      Did you need the yellow filter for the clouds? Could similar or same be achieved post? Having specified a Q2M I wonder whether I should be looking out to fit yellow or orange glass in front of all that nice Q2M design?
    • By farnz
      Thank you to everyone who took part in last month's 139th Barnack's Monthly theme, which was filled with nearly 1,500 pictures, excellent ideas and interpretations of the theme.  Also, thank you to everyone who helped to make it another successful month by generously posting their pictures and in particular to those people who posted for the first time - I hope you found it an interesting and rewarding experience and I hope it encourages you to share more of your pictures with us!  
      In recognition of the many 'lock-downs' that have been put in place around the globe to slow the rate of infection of Covid-19, the 140th Barnack's Monthly theme for May 2020 is:
       Glass or shot through glass.
      I want to continue support the global efforts to prevent the spread of Covid-19 by people staying home so I don't want people to feel they need to venture outside to take pictures to post in this month's Barnack's Monthly.  If your Health Authority's advice is to stay home then please do and perhaps look back through the pictures you've taken over the years and there might be some you could post in Barnack's Monthly.   
      This month's theme is any picture that's shot through glass (excluding the glass in the lens or filters etc of course).  It could be fish in a fish tank, a passenger in a car, a palm tree through a porthole, a glass slipper, a bird in a greenhouse, a razor-cut in a barber's, sparkly glass earrings, someone obscured by condensation in the shower, a crystal chandelier, the hands on a watch, a decanter, a prism, a stained-glass window, fruit in a greengrocer's window, a reflection in a mirror, Balsamic vinegar in the bottle, milk in a milk bottle, a radiometer, beer in a tumbler, a tumbler - it's entirely your choice so let your imagination run free!  
      It would be a help if you give your picture a title so to help us understand your point of view. Members have asked if we'd very kindly name the camera and lens used - if you can remember - because it's interesting to know but, again, it's just helpful.
      The rules are deliberately loose so go out and shoot with this month's theme in mind or start searching back through those pictures you took oh-so long ago that you'd forgotten about and start posting! It doesn't have to be your best ever shot and it's not a competition so you might surprise the rest of us and yourself - it's just about sharing some pictures, seeing others' take on the topic, and enjoying it!

Everybody's welcome to contribute, any interpretation, any number of posts, pictures that have been posted on the forum before, any equipment as long as it and the photo complies with the forum's rules of either camera or lens or both made by Leica. Please post freely - especially newcomers and please remember there's no judging or criticism (good or bad) in this thread. So, if you'd like to show your acknowledgement or appreciation that someone has posted their picture then instead of posting a comment please use the "Thanks" button that you can find at the bottom right of every post.

Please post away and I look forward to seeing your interesting interpretations of this month's theme.
      Note: Moderator Pop has very kindly assembled links to all of the past Barnack's Monthly threads as a single archive that can be found here: Barnack's Monthly Index.  Thank you, Pop!   Pete.