Good feelings

scjohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I admit I am really happy with my experiences as an M8 owner. I purchased my M8 when the camera was first introduced. I went through the repair and the filters but the "lens discount" and free filters for my trouble seemed fair.

I upgraded the viewfinder and the LCD. I didn't want the "quiet" slower shutter because speed does more for my shots than sound. The turnaround was only about two weeks. I was really happy with that.

I do not use the m8 every day. I use my Nikon D3 more often. The M8 is more of a specialty camera for me but Leica has improved the m8 experience for original buyers like me so that the camera still serves its "specialty" purpose after several years so that I still love using it when I can as much as I ever did. I have a set of lenses I love and a camera body that allows me to use them that I have not needed to replace thanks to timely hardware and firmware upgrades. That's all I could hope for.

I fully agree, to me the M8 is a fantastic tool, with all its shortcomings and limitations (although most of them I couldn't care less about).

I deliberately chose the M8 over SLRs which have many more features (my wife has a Canon 5D, great camera) because I want my picture taking to be a slower and more conscious process. If I don't proceed carefully - I produce junk. No anti-shake, auto-focus or smile-recognition will save my picture. If however, I do it right, I am rewarded with great pictures - and it was all my doing. Well, almost ;-)

So my suggestion to the members of the doom and gloom brigade (neat term) is to go out and enjoy taking lots of pictures, accept that nothing that matters to us is perfect and have fun. And decide if the M8 is the tool you want to use.

Bernd

I do not use the m8 every day. I use my Nikon D3 more often.

The opposite for me. The M8 is with me every single day. It is that portable. But when I do shoot with the N I prefer a manual Zeiss lens, and only resort to the all singing all dancing big VR zooms when chasing little two-legged fast moving objects.

Well put, Marty. I have my M8 with me everyday and use it almost everyday personally, and as part of my profession. It's compact size makes it easy to have at close reach and I like the discipline of having to 'think', manual focus, be sensitive to light and exposure, and enjoy the results that superior lenses provide. I made a large financial commitment when it first came out (between bodies and the lens acquisition disease) to go with the Leica system as compared to other capable and less expensive alternatives and I have not wanted for more, or the latest and greatest from the Big Boys in Japan. I certainly don't need high-res video capture as part of my camera. The M8 should and does fell like an extension of my eye. Leica's dedication to the M system and give us important upgrades and choices is so refreshing in this day of having to buy new computers/phones/TVs/etc. every two years. (no I'm not a Leica employee!) I agree it's hard to shoot those two legged fast running creatures, but hey, that's where honed skill and pre-focusing comes in.

Mark

I als o feel the same way. I use a Canon 20 D at work only because the camera is handled by 5-6 other staff members. I try to have my M8 with me each day, and from time to time I end up with a great looking photo! Cheers for a great and enjoyable photo experience...to the M8!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

THE turning point for me was when the AWB started being more reliable. (I've had the M8 since its first release in 2006.)

I am still very unhappy about the shutter noise; saving many nickels for the upgrade with hope in the bowels of my being.

-g

The opposite for me. The M8 is with me every single day. It is that portable. But when I do shoot with the N I prefer a manual Zeiss lens, and only resort to the all singing all dancing big VR zooms when chasing little two-legged fast moving objects.

HA HA That's SO funny... because most of my work DOES involve fast two legged subjects and that is the reason I feel often compelled to use the D3. I like to use the M8 with fast lenses wide open, no DOF. No fun with fast brats and jocks to be sure!