Your rarest pieces

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Beautiful great piece, I have a Summitar 50/1.5 that I beliebe is a design very like a Schnaider Xenon, but signed by Taylor, Taylor and Hubson, is a nice lens that I like for athmosphers otherwise impossible.

Yes, Summitar has the same lens schema of Xenon , just with coating added (and f stops to f 16) : me too have a "Taylor Hobson" item : it was an engraving for the items sold in UK - USA, for the (English) Taylor Hobson firm retained in those countries the original patent of the Xenon design (Schneider got the rights from T.H., and licensed them to Leitz). Also Xenons exist with such engraving.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful great piece, I have a Summitar 50/1.5 that I beliebe is a design very like a Schnaider Xenon, but signed by Taylor, Taylor and Hubson, is a nice lens that I like for athmosphers otherwise impossible.

If it's f1.5 then it is a Summarit, not Summitar (f2)...

;-)

The old Summarit is a 1.5/50 and rigid. It does not collapse in to the body.

The new Summarit-M is a 2.5/50 and also rigid.

The old Summarit f1.5/50 is a coated version of the Xenon, which greatly cuts down on flare.

The Summitar is also a pre-war design, but a 2.0/50 and collapsible.

Speaking of the old Summarit 1,5/50, it's a lovely lens for black and white work.

Soft at f1.5, but it has a unique fingerprint and bokeh (similar to the Summar 2/50).

My rarest piece is probably this so called "sport release" for Visoflex I

but with M attachment.

Very rare, say WestLicht auction house.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

My rarest piece is the prototype f6.8 400 mm telephoto lens from 1968. The lens number is 2242039. This lens (one of 40) was given to professional photographers to utilize and comment regarding its preformance prior to the 1970 production of the lens. I know that David Douglas Duncon sp?(DDD) was given one and used it in the 1968 presidential convention and published a book using the photographs. I have no idea who received mine but I am sure Leitz would list it somewhere. I plan to sell it someday as I am not a collector and am afraid to use it lest I damage it. My other rare lens is an early nickel screw mount Elmar f3.5 50mm lens with the serial number of 78653 inscribed within the barrel of the lens. This number was found when I had a CLA done on the lens. It came with one of the early 1931 standard cameras. Does anyone have an idea of the date of this lens?

Edited by George Furst