Your rarest pieces

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a previous edition of the pocket book... and it even ignores the MKI / MK II differentiation, showing only MKI and MK III ... Laney clearly hasn't gone in deep with this lens... ;)... also his Collector's guide is a bit confused on the Elmarit 28.

As always , Lager is very straight and precise :

MKI - here the Wetzlar version

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

MKII - Canada only

MKIII - first style of barrel - focus lever

MKIII - second type of barrel - focus lever

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Luigi I am getting more confused because this is my 28mm M S/N 2880553 with E48 filter ... note it does not have a waisted depth of field scale and thus looks somewhat like a Mk III .. but surely must be a Mk II ?

DSCF1400.jpg

DSCF1402_2.jpg

DSCF1407.jpg

Is this a known Mk II variant?

Perhaps Laney's Mk II illustration is correct but maybe there are also non-waisted versions as well?

Because mine is not waisted I assumed it was a Mk III when I first saw the dealer's website picture ... but the S/N is within the Mk II sequence.

Could your Mk II Canada illustration be the Canada Mk I ?

This is my Canada Mk I with the waisted depth of field scale.

DSCF1282.jpg

Cheers

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

I don't have Lager's book but have just checked Nakamura's "Leica Collection" page 171 picture 27 which shows the Mk II version 1972-1979 same as mine with 48mm filter and non-waisted ie non-bevelled edge depth of field scale

So, are there bevelled and non-bevelled edge, depth of field scale versions of the Mk II?

Cheers

dunk

Dunk... now is my turn to get also a bit confused... :o... also because one of the few typos in Lager's book is involved... your MKI lens is all right as it must be... no problem... your "second" Elmarit seems to be exactly like this :

Lager ("Illustrated Guide" III vol., not the more complete "Illustrated history" II vol., from which I took my previous 4 pics) , quotes this lens as number 2.062.608 and this is surely wrong (pity the s/n is unreadable in the pic) : 2.062.608 is surely to attribute to a MKI lens (Wetzlar or Canada, who knows): the pic illustrates indeed what looks like a MK III item, with straight DOF scale, focus lever without click-stop... so, a lens whose number ought to be ABOVE 2977551, E 49, but with the "old-style" engraving with s/n on the front ring.

YOUR lens ought to be like this, but you say is E48, and s/n is 2.8xx.xxx ! And the front element looks to me a bit too much curved, more apt to the MK II design (but this is a visual, not too trustable, impression).

So, two possibilities, I'd say :

A) The MK III started BEFORE 2977551, and three variants do exist (the two I posted above, plus yours, i.e. E48, with no "28" at the base and s/n on the front ring)

B) The MK III started indeed at 2977551, and the MK II does exist in two variants : the first (started above 2314921) with tapered DOF scale and click-stop focus lever, the second like yours.

About your doubt on my picture of the Canada MK II... I'd say it's sure isn't a MK I for it's rather clear that it lacks the deeply protruding back element which is absolutely distinctive of the MK I

Well... I think I'll make a post to Jim Lager... ;)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Thank you Luigi ... very interesting ... have you seen the Nakamura book illustration? Look forward to reading JL's reply to your question.

Here is another picture of my 28mm Mk? It weighs 288g without caps... whereas Laney states Mk III weight as 250g. The lens accepts the 12501 lens hood which also fits my Canadian Mk I . There is no lock on the focus lever. It looks identical to the JL picture in your post. And is identical to Picture 27 in Nakamura page 171 ie the Mk II 1972-1979 but he says it weighs 300g.

Just tested my electronic scales using standard set of brass weights and they are absolutely accurate.

DSCF1399.jpg

I just tried another 49mm filter and it does not fit so is definitely 48mm.

Cheers

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

... Lager ("Illustrated Guide" III vol., not the more complete "Illustrated history" II vol., from which I took my previous 4 pics) , quotes this ..

... Well... I think I'll make a post to Jim Lager... ;)

I'm missing out on a lot of available information so have taken the plunge and ordered JLL's three book set "Illustrated History ..." and vol. I and vol III " Leica Illustrated Guide" (already have vol. II) ... got a good deal on these items in USA and hope to have them within a week. Much cheaper to buy these from USA than in UK even though have to pay $52 shipping.

Cheers

dunk

Guest leicaphotos

21mm finder, brooks veriwide, leitz new york

21mm finder, brooks veriwide, leitz new york

Do you have its camera too ? It was a strange but no bad beast...

AFAIK the Brooks Veriwide hadn't the standard 2x3 frame dimension... seems to me it was 56x"a bit more than 90" (7, not 8 negs on 120 film as the usual "6x9"): is the finder in accord with this unusual ratio ? I have never seen one.

Guest leicaphotos
Do you have its camera too ? It was a strange but no bad beast...

[ATTACH]137426[/ATTACH]

AFAIK the Brooks Veriwide hadn't the standard 2x3 frame dimension... seems to me it was 56x"a bit more than 90" (7, not 8 negs on 120 film as the usual "6x9"): is the finder in accord with this unusual ratio ? I have never seen one.

don't have the veriwide - the finder from everything I've read is the same as the leitz 21mm finder - with different markings -- It resides on my bessa for my 25 -- wish I even had a 21 --- am looking to part with this piece --- as funds are tight since the layoff -- kevin camera is selling 2 of them for @ $600 -- I'm just looking for $450 --

I've had a few other rare pieces -- but they tend to come and go so I can get gear I'm using

I have a 90mm Thambar I bought years ago from James Lager who had ade an adapter which used with a Focamount allowed it to be used with the front lens element on a Leica SLR. In turn I had Martie Forecher install the 3-cam system so the lens worked with all the metering and I have a great lens for romantic landscapes and lush, forgiving portraits

I paid $800.00 for it and even then thought it was quite a baragin. I have the spot filter and lens cap and need only an original lens shade and box to complete my set.

Guest flatfour

Has anyone seen another one of these - or even better does anyone else have one ?

It's a 1930s Sixtus meter engraved with LEICA on the face. It is still in working order and was used by me for B&W with my Leica III till about ten years ago.

Has anyone seen another one of these - or even better does anyone else have one ?

It's a 1930s Sixtus meter engraved with LEICA on the face. It is still in working order and was used by me for B&W with my Leica III till about ten years ago.

The one I have and illustrate here is not exactly the same, dates from 1936 and is marked in German "Für die Leica". I also enclose photos of two other meters I have, similarly marked for Leica : the Ombrux (1937) and the Electro-Bewi.

Nice ! Old meters are always fascinating items ... I'm not an expert of, but I think there were also some other accessories from 3rd parties of the '30s that were made in "Leica customized version" : for this meter, the time scale is clearly made to match exactly and only Leica's one... me too have a prewar meter (Ombrux - very similar to the above) that is not "Leica version" and has a lot more of times, which a much less "clean to read" scale. After all, in the '30s Leica was by far the most succesful quality camera and a number of manufacturers found commercially useful to make "dedicated" accessories.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Guest flatfour
The one I have and illustrate here is not exactly the same, dates from 1936 and is marked in German "Für die Leica". I also enclose photos of two other meters I have, similarly marked for Leica : the Ombrux (1937) and the Electro-Bewi.

Does your Sixtus have LEICA engraved on the front? I can't quite see from the photo.

Does your Sixtus have LEICA engraved on the front? I can't quite see from the photo.

On my Sixtus, there is only an "L" (see photos attached), exactly like the "N" engraved on the FOFER for Nagel cameras.

LeicaIIICKriegsmarine129.jpg

Yet another one of my recent acquisitions is this very rare 1942 Leica IIIC "Kriegsmarine" camera

(complete with some "wartime" patina)

it is one of the very few Marinekriegsberichter or Kriegsmarine PK cameras to even survive WW2.

*Contax received and filled out most of the Kriegsmarine camera orders during WW2 but, Leitz also filled out some very limited orders, using their fast 50mm lens the Xenon, and this camera is one of those very few issues*

This camera was part of gear captured with survivors of a destoryed German U-Boat sunk by Royal Navy forces in 1942 or 1943.

This is most likely one of the rarest camera combos directly issued by Leitz during WW2.

I will post a thread here about this camera soon with some of it`s history.

Tom

Edited by LeicaTom_old

Hello Tom,

That is a very nice camera with interesting history.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank You Gunnar!

I am admiring that beautiful very late M3 you have for sale now ;) *SEXY*

I have since sold the Kriegsmarine IIIC to a private collection in Italy, but have plans already to replace the camera with TWO 1945 US Army IIIC K`s!

One has a very interesting history, presumely sold to a Danish woman who was a US Army Intelligence civilian interrogator - interpreter in May/July 1945.

More about these cameras as things develop, I`ll post some photos and story in another thread :)

Take care

Tom