Your rarest pieces

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello! A "leftover" from my collection,- shows 35, 50 90 and 135 frames, view as crystal clear as new,-

regards Wofhard

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LeicaElmarGreyCase67.jpg

Here`s another photo of my "Civilian" 43' IIIC K Grey this time in an original 1943/44 RLM Grey Spray Painted "Flat Nose" case with a barrowed Factory Coated US Army 1945 issue Elmar f3.5/50 & FISON shade, the Kodachrome slides are original era dated 1944.

The Grey cases are so beautiful, but so rare, I`m still looking for an original "Summitar Nose" Grey case for this camera`s original lens.......does anyone have one for sale?

Enjoy!

Tom

Edited by LeicaTom_old

[

The Grey cases are so beautiful, but so rare, I`m still looking for an original "Summitar Nose" Grey case for this camera`s original lens.......does anyone have one for sale?

Enjoy!

Tom

Freese Camera in Highland Park NJ used to have one years ago, he may still have it.

No "rarities" for some days... :o ... well, this isn't ancient nor super rare ... an Elmarit 28 of the very first series, Wetzlar made and with the box that proudly displays its complex and then abandoned 9 elements design. I like this item, even if later designs perform better, and, on M8, lightmetering is uncorrect with it... :o

My scarce Canadian 28mm Elmarit-M Type I with Wetzlar hood ... I think Luigi's Wetzlar Mk I is rare compared to the Canadian version.

Cheers

dunk

Hi Luigi and Dunk,

Here's my Wetzlar version 1 Elmarit, boxed with caps, about as good a condition as you could find one in - unless of course it had never been used - cost me an arm and a leg :rolleyes: , but it's something a little different and the (now outdated) 8th edition of the Hove International Price Guide rates it's rarity as R8, which is said to be an exhibition item. ;)

They're a curious shape that I really quite like, although as Luigi states, the massively protruding rear element causes metering problems with various bodies.

All the best,

Al

Thanks Al.

I wonder exactly how many 28mm Mk I M lenses were made? The books I have consulted seem to confuse the issue eg Rogliatti states that the German version was produced from 1965 to 1972 and the Canadian version was produced from 1972. No mention is made of the Canadian Mk I .

Hasbroeck in "A History ... " states that the Wetzlar version was produced in 1965 as a 9 element but was supereded in 1966 by a Leitz Canada version having 8 elements. Haesbroeck states that the Canadian version commenced with S/N 2314921 which corresponds to 1969 and not 1966. My Canadian version is definitely S/N 2197409 which corresponds to 1966.

Laney in Pocket Book 7th Edition states Mk I S/N 2061501 - 2533850 , Wetzlar design with no mention of Canadian production. And in "Leica Collectors Guide" he states similar ie made in Wetzlar with no mention of Canadian manufacture for the Mk I during 1965-72.

The weight of my Canadian Mk I S/N 2197409 as a bare lens without hood and caps is 243 grams ... measured on a Salter electronic scale.

Would you and Luigi please weigh your Wetzlar versions without hood and caps and compare?

Will be interesting to see if there are any weight differences

Thanks

Cheers

dunk

. Haesbroeck states that the Canadian version commenced with S/N 2314921 which corresponds to 1969 and not 1966. My Canadian version is definitely S/N 2197409 which corresponds to 1966.

Laney in Pocket Book 7th Edition states Mk I S/N 2061501 - 2533850 , Wetzlar design with no mention of Canadian production. And in "Leica Collectors Guide" he states similar ie made in Wetzlar with no mention of Canadian manufacture for the Mk I during 1965-72.

My Canadian Type1 is 2 062 xxx /1964 and Canadian Type2 is 2 315 xxx /1969

in 1964 Type 1, 2000 piece from 2061501 to 2063500 9 lenses E48

in 1966 Type 1, 1500 piece from 2196901 to 2198400 9 lenses E48

in 1969 Type 2, 1250 piece from 2314751 to 2316000 for M5 E48

in 1970 .....etc

28.jpg

Edited by jc_braconi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Canadian Type1 is 2 062 xxx /1964 and Canadian Type2 is 2 315 xxx /1969

in 1964 Type 1, 2000 piece from 2061501 to 2063500 9 lenses E48

in 1966 Type 1, 1500 piece from 2196901 to 2198400 9 lenses E48

in 1969 Type 2, 1250 piece from 2314751 to 2316000 for M5 E48

in 1970 .....etc

I'm not sure what you mean by " 9 lenses E48" .. can you please clarify.

Thanks.

Cheers

dunk

The Elmarit 28 type 1 is the only with a 9 elements design... :) ...it can be seen drawn on its box (see my above pic); well... tonight I'm going to take its weight: but I have only my wife's kitchen scale...:o

Of course ... I am having a rushed day or feeling my age ... Thank you

Cheers

dunk

Thanks Al.

I wonder exactly how many 28mm Mk I M lenses were made?... The weight of my Canadian Mk I S/N 2197409 as a bare lens without hood and caps is 243 grams ... measured on a Salter electronic scale.

Would you and Luigi please weigh your Wetzlar versions without hood and caps and compare?

Thanks

Cheers

dunk

28 Elmarit type 1 Wetzlar 2.063.241... my wife Soehnle kitchen scale signs 235g... almost exactly doubled (465) box+lens+hood+caps+warranty paper...:)... has a sense for engraving "Wetzlar" instead of "Canada" and "Germany" instead of "Canada" you scratch away a little more of metal...;)

Sartorius' book on lenses reported 225g...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

28 Elmarit type 1 Wetzlar 2.063.241... my wife Soehnle kitchen scale signs 235g... almost exactly doubled (465) box+lens+hood+caps+warranty paper...:)

Thanks Luigi. That is 8 grams less than mine but probably insignificant bearing in mind the different scales ... and 8 grams is the weight of a plastic M body cap.

Cheers

dunk

Guest leicaphotos

my only rare piece is the 21mm finder marked brooks veriwide 100 leitz new york wetzlar germany - also have a leica / parker ball point pen

Thanks Al.

I wonder exactly how many 28mm Mk I M lenses were made? The books I have consulted seem to confuse the issue eg Rogliatti states that the German version was produced from 1965 to 1972 and the Canadian version was produced from 1972. No mention is made of the Canadian Mk I .

Hasbroeck in "A History ... " states that the Wetzlar version was produced in 1965 as a 9 element but was supereded in 1966 by a Leitz Canada version having 8 elements. Haesbroeck states that the Canadian version commenced with S/N 2314921 which corresponds to 1969 and not 1966. My Canadian version is definitely S/N 2197409 which corresponds to 1966.

The weight of my Canadian Mk I S/N 2197409 as a bare lens without hood and caps is 243 grams ... measured on a Salter electronic scale.

Thanks

Cheers

dunk

Hi Dunk,

When I get a chance I'll weigh it for you, quite interesting to see what the difference is.

All the best,

Guest flatfour

Probably rare but not worth much. A 1944 Kodachrome unexposed in canister etc.

Thanks for the comparison pictures Luigi ... big difference ... I have the Mk III also but have only just acquired it and have not tried it yet. I wonder if the difference would be so apparent for a non-close-up subject? Maybe the Mk I was not designed for close focus? Might be worth comparing at longer focusing distances but the Mk III would probably still have the edge.

Cheers

dunk

I THOUGHT I had a Mk III .... what I have is a Mk II S/N 2880553. I did not check the S/N when I bought it. I only checked the illustrations in Leica Pocket Book 7th Edition October 2002 where on page 100 covering Elmarit-M 1:2.8/28mm (II) the book erroneously illustrates the lens with a photo of a Mk I type 28/2.8 ! Because mine was different to the apparent Mk II illustration I assumed it was a Mk III :-(

Can someone please confirm that this is a rather unfortunate misprint in the book?

Thanks

dunk