Sign in to follow this  
jaapv

Am I really THAT prejudiced?

Maybe a bit strongly formulated but in essence this is clearly true:D

Well, I certainly can agree about the dogs and cars (maybe one ought to add cats) but have you guys actually read the threads on this forum?

Well, I certainly can agree about the dogs and cars (maybe one ought to add cats) but have you guys actually read the threads on this forum?
++ re. the cats

and although the question is not very specific I think the answer is yes (if you mean l-camera-forum), but obviously not all the threads. That is how a forum normally works I would expect.

Just another boring my camera is better than yours thread, just camouflaged with a weak comparative peak at some forum images................... I really don't know why you bothered your mind has been made up ages ago. Or are you just after a feel good pat on the back, which I am sure you will get from a Leica site, then you can sleep easy in a smug smug bed

Love the attempt of giving the post some so called sense of fairness.. sad stuff

I have to fully agree with this. While I love shooting with my M8 and M7 most, both for it's image quality and handling, when the times call for it my Nikon (D3 or F100) is right there for me and often when done post processing one would be hard pressed to tell the difference (and certainly the D3 saves my ass on high iso, fast wide lenses, long lenses, macro, etc etc). Once again, it's the photographer, not the camera.

Indeed Russell - a firm belief that ownership of a camera made by hand (nota bene!) in Germany automatically makes you a superior photographer (and human being, in general actually) is a sine qua non of membership of this forum.

In fact, which other forum bandies around so many Latin phrases? Ergo - Leica photography (ie: moggy and doggy pix), is vastly superior to every other type!

I have to fully agree with this. While I love shooting with my M8 and M7 most, both for it's image quality and handling, when the times call for it my Nikon (D3 or F100) is right there for me and often when done post processing one would be hard pressed to tell the difference (and certainly the D3 saves my ass on high iso, fast wide lenses, long lenses, macro, etc etc). Once again, it's the photographer, not the camera.

Charles - by posting at the same time as me I think you ruined the unsubtle irony of my point.

Go to the back of the class.

I...I think the essential difference is all Leica photographers are forced to think. Even an R8/9 requires you to think.

Whether this a good thing depends on what it is they force you to think about.

"Civilisation advances by extending the number of important operations which we can perform without thinking about them. Operations of thought are like cavalry charges in battle - they are strictly limited in number, they require fresh horses, and must only be made at decisive moments." - A.N. Whitehead

I could only manage a few pages of each thread I'm afraid - my tolerance for moggy pictures is quite low - but generally I preferred the Nikon shots.

It was very clear to me looking at some posts the other day that Leica lenses on the M8 render with more dimensionality and nuance than on the G1, but the images in these threads proved nothing other than that a lot of snaps of dogs and cats that in the past went into a drawer and were forgotten, are now displayed for all the world as 'Photography'.

Hmmm I think I'm hung-over this morning.

Ha! this is hilarious. Yes, often I think people who buy $5k lenses try and justify that their pictures are the best merely by the fact that they are the sharpest corner to corner. Alas, there is a lot (a lot!) more to photography then that.

Charles - by posting at the same time as me I think you ruined the unsubtle irony of my point.

Go to the back of the class.

Sorry, just waking up. My irony cap isn't on yet!

Ha! this is hilarious. Yes, often I think people who buy $5k lenses try and justify that their pictures are the best merely by the fact that they are the sharpest corner to corner. Alas, there is a lot (a lot!) more to photography then that.

Crud!! You mean I can't buy my way into the MOMA with a Summilux or two??? Wait till I break that news to my local camera store.

Well...Maybe I can just make some big, colorful, creamy, corner-to-corner-sharp prints, laminate them, and sell them as placemats.

Indeed Russell - a firm belief that ownership of a camera made by hand (nota bene!) in Germany automatically makes you a superior photographer (and human being, in general actually) is a sine qua non of membership of this forum.

In fact, which other forum bandies around so many Latin phrases? Ergo - Leica photography (ie: moggy and doggy pix), is vastly superior to every other type!

Well, of course. Surely no one would doubt that it was the camera, not HCB himself. Wonder if he knew that Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres.

As I mentioned in another post, the Robert Frank exhibit at the National Gallery in DC, showing prints from The Americans, is fantastic. His Leica photos are often not sharp, or even in focus, they're just fabulous. Yes, I guess he liked Leica compared to the other equipment available in the 50's, but that obviously had nothing to do with his eye or talent. He's at the Gallery in person on March 26 if anyone cares.

Ok, so I posted somewhat provocatively;) It is often a good way to kick off a thread, if one disregards the inevitable crude ad hominem attacks. So what was my point. Nowadays one does not just buy a camera system, one is inevitably stuck with the " film". And there we enter the realm of taste. It has nothing to do with the content of the photographs, be it high Art or Aunty Priscilla and her Poodle on the beach. My personal preference is the Leica "film", which does not make it any better than Nikon "film" btw. And yes, photoshop can get the looks close, but not completely.

Yes, I guess he liked Leica compared to the other equipment available in the 50's...

Of course he did. Anyone in his right mind did. Leica stuff was the best there was... then.

Of course he did. Anyone in his right mind did. Leica stuff was the best there was... then.

Ever heard of Paul Strand? Walker Evans? etc, etc. Pretty good stuff without Leica. You should broaden your horizons.

Not quite, rather second best. You're forgetting Contax.

Ever heard of Paul Strand? Walker Evans? etc, etc. Pretty good stuff without Leica. You should broaden your horizons.

Okay, you're right. I should have narrowed the focus a bit (to coin a pun). Walker, by the way, did some small camera stuff too. But remember, I'm the guy who keeps laughing when someone talks about doing landscape with a 35mm or a digital camera. Yes, most of the things Walker and Paul Strand were doing really required a stand camera. You can say "touche," Jeff.

Maybe so, Jaap. I can't argue with that, though as I recall, the Leica was a better street camera.

Which Contax camera was better than which Leica camera? I have a Contax 645 system, and a friend of mine has a Contax RTS. While they are great systems, there is no comparison to my Leica M6 or M8, nor to a Leica R9.

Nevertheless the question remains: is it the gear or the photographer?

I think it is the photographer, who of course chooses his/her gear:D