Upgrade time M8

vertekijker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was wondering how long people have had to wait recently to have their M8 upgraded. Last autumn I waited some two months or even more. Is it still that long? I want to send in my second M8 because I find that I use it less since the shutter of the other one has become quieter.

Thank you,

Frans

Don't expect anything faster than that.

On January 22 my M8 and a 90mm Elmarit went to Solms in order to have the lens adjusted and collimated. (Leica wanted the body for reference purposes.) Today, March 20, with my nails gnawed down to the roots (and starting on my toenails) I phoned my friendly Leica dealer, Schönherrs Foto in Stockholm:

--Has my gear returned yet?

--No---well, unless the package that is just coming in through the front door ... Please wait a minute ...

--Well, here is a lens and a camera body for Lars Bergquist!

So they did it in two months minus two days. But the Elmarit is tack sharp, thank you. And now I can climb down from the column in the desert where I have perched for close to two months. Also, my ability to ESP the exact moment of arrival is a bit spooky. But Leica lenses are extraordinary.

The old man from the Age of Main Street Camera Mechanics

Don't expect anything faster than that.

On January 22 my M8 and a 90mm Elmarit went to Solms in order to have the lens adjusted and collimated. (Leica wanted the body for reference purposes.) Today, March 20, with my nails gnawed down to the roots (and starting on my toenails) I phoned my friendly Leica dealer, Schönherrs Foto in Stockholm:

--Has my gear returned yet?

--No---well, unless the package that is just coming in through the front door ... Please wait a minute ...

--Well, here is a lens and a camera body for Lars Bergquist!

So they did it in two months minus two days. But the Elmarit is tack sharp, thank you. And now I can climb down from the column in the desert where I have perched for close to two months. Also, my ability to ESP the exact moment of arrival is a bit spooky. But Leica lenses are extraordinary.

The old man from the Age of Main Street Camera Mechanics

Leica offers (at least in Germany) the option to date the upgrade and then only waiting two weeks or so. I made the date in November, send the camera in January and got it back 14 days later.

Best

Holger

For regular lens service I've waited anywhere from six weeks to four months and when a lens has to go back once (or even twice) becuase they didn't do the job properly I've effectively had to wait more than six months on two occasions.

That was lenses, coding and service. My M8 is booked for upgrades in the middle of April, I sure hope that when a slot is pre-booked they have a much shorter turnaround than what has been my experience with Solms customer service so far.

- Carl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Carl,

I did more or less what you did. E-mailed Leica Customer Service and booked a date for the upgrade. I had to wait 2 months for the upgrade, but when I finally sent the camera to Solms I had it back in only 10 days, including shipping time. Make sure you enclose the warranty card and your origial proof of purchase - they need that to give you the new warranty after upgrading.

I sent two bodies for upgrade, 5 lenses (one for coding, 3 for focus checking and my broken MATE) two days ago to Solms, arrived in less than 24 hours - thanks DHL - and I received acknowledgements of receipt the same day by email. Now the wait begins...