you are one ot these Mr m8

Guest stnami

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not a Ken Rockhead fan, but that was funny :) I don't quite understand why he thinks the Leica Man doesn't take photos though. Surely HCB was a Leica Man! I think it is rather the case that the Leica man doesn't discuss the quality of the results. They were taken with a Leica, and therefore they are simply outstanding.

He also doesn't mention that the Leica Man is an extinct species. The last one existed in the days of the M3 and M2, and the early days of the M4. The release of the M5, and the fact that the M4-2 was manufactured by Leica Canada to save the company's bacon, the Leica Man could not tolerate, and so he ceased to exist. There is some talk of the "new Leica Man" having spontaneously appeared when the MP was released, but this is still heavily debated, the inclusion of a lightmeter and the option of the large shutter speed wheel being the evidence forwarded by the "contra" faction.

That's hilarious, where did he get that from?! I almost can't imagine anything further from the truth - at least when I think of the 'Leica men' I know.

Having said that a friend of mine does jokingly call me the 'Epicure', hopefully he's not relating that to any behaviour found in that passage!;)

Lovely day, might pop out in the Jag - hood down natch - and grab a few shots with the M & Nocti as I sit at the lights.

What a load of BS honestly - and he has the bare faced cheek to ask people to donate to his site for stuff like that!! I'm sure he cracks up with every paypal donation.

Who uses cameras to take pictures? Rarely the Leica man.

Just one of the many ridicolus statements in a bunch of thoughts that are neither really funny, nor smartly presented... dunno if he receives donations... me too have a family to grow, but suppose that hoping in Net donations spreading sparse sentences in a home page may be not the smartest way to be of help for my children... :o

He was/is raving about Leicas. Mostly he just raves. The best way to treat Ken R. is the same way one treated the way they taught long division in U.S. schools to the very young (at least my school) back in the mid-60s. They taught you to divide evenly then leave a "remainder." Ie 7/3= 2, R2. Eventually, one learned about decimals and proper division, etc.

For those who have never thought about digital photography (or photography for that matter) Ken is great because he always (as far as I've seen) counsels to spend less on gear and go out and make pictures. As one learns more about photography, it's more frustrating to read him.

Ken Rockwell is just a cyber beggar chasing his next Paypal cheque. He resorts to purple prose and melodrama in order to direct his reader's attention to the following all important message:

"If you haven't helped yet, please do, and consider helping me with a gift of $5.00. Make a Donation"

There is, of course, some truth in the argument (otherwise it wouldn't wind people up so easily)

I don't think that's the case. If I wrote "All Welshman are sheep shaggers", I'm sure there'd be lots of irate Welshmen. But that wouldn't mean they're all sheep shaggers, it would just mean that they find the sterotype tiresome.

Rockwell uses the internet to make money - that's his right - but just as you get more attention in a cinema if you shout 'fire' than if you say 'what a good film', so it is with him and the internet. Most of what I've read by him has been bilge and/or superficial.