90mm for M8

jcraf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To round off my recent purchases of the M8, 28mm asph, 50mm Summarit and WATE, I am tempted to get a 90mm for occasional long work.

I have seen a mint boxed Elmarit-M 90 (11807) for a fair price (much less than a Summarit 75 or 90), and whilst I'll probably UV/IR it, do I really need to 6-Bit it?

Not interested in going beyond 2.8 to a Summicron or APO Summicron, as I won't use this focal length much.

So, thoughts on the final version of the Elmarit-M 90 on the M8, without 6-bit, gratefully received.

Go for it. No need for coding unless you want to see the focal length in the EXIF data.

Only reason not to is if you find the field of view too narrow for your taste. I did, and bought a 75mm Summitar and sold my Elmarit-M.

Edited by giordano

jcraf - I had a summicron non-asph and really liked the focal length. I think you will like it as well. I got a lot of flare but, my used copy I discovered after I bought it had a haze on one of the lens element. I never knew if it was the haze or just the character of the Summicron non-asph that was resposible for the flare I got with it. Anyway, I took it back to the dealer and I miss having that focal length. I'll probably snag a used Summicron 2.0 APO when I feel flush.

That will be when I get a job and move out of my car. Wait a minute, what am I thinking? I'll get the lens first and move out of the car second. Some times I scare myself when I get my priorities messed up.

By the way, save some lenses for the rest of us. :D

jcraf - I had a summicron non-asph and really liked the focal length. I think you will like it as well. I got a lot of flare but, my used copy I discovered after I bought it had a haze on one of the lens element. I never knew if it was the haze or just the character of the Summicron non-asph that was resposible for the flare I got with it. Anyway, I took it back to the dealer and I miss having that focal length. I'll probably snag a used Summicron 2.0 APO when I feel flush.

That will be when I get a job and move out of my car. Wait a minute, what am I thinking? I'll get the lens first and move out of the car second. Some times I scare myself when I get my priorities messed up.

By the way, save some lenses for the rest of us. :D

I have the 90 Summicron pre-asph and a 90 Elmarit-M. I found that the Summicron is a lot larger and heavier than the Elmarit-M plus the 'haze' you refer to is probably the 'glow' I guess it's called that I get with the Summicron wide open. It disappears as I stop it down from f/2.

The Elmarit-M is a great lens and I prefer it for it's size and character. I guess it suits my other ASPH Summicron's better than the 90 non-ASPH. It's a nice sharp lens and can be picked up at a decent price used. Didn't this get discontinued though?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Graham - I always suspected that the flare I got with my 90 pre-A was characteristic of the this lens. I guess the pre-A 90 cron was not the best lens.

The Asph 2.0 APO is, by all charts and reports, an exceptional lens. At this focal length though, the Emarit is supposed to be a nice lens and other than speed, it is probably going to be hard to actually see which one is the better lens.

Didn't this get discontinued though?

Yes, it was killed by the 90mm Summarit.

I did have one a few years back, and also later an APO which I found too bulky and I liked it, but it's good to know that it will be a nice choice for the M8 even without 6 Bit.

Thanks for all the advice

John

I have a thin elmarit 90 which I got for not much, and used for some casual shots. I found it OK, decent value for the cost. If you go for blowing up shots, it runs a bit short.

For some close up work as well as a newer smaller lens, the later 90 has turned out very well. It is very crisp, really flawless. I don't use it much at all, but its a good lens.

If you want a "thin" 90 let me know.

Geoff

My vote would go to the 90 Macro Elmar.

It's super light, perfect for travel, and, if it is a focal length you will not use much, than F4 might be Ok.

It is really, really sharp!

You can pick up one at a good price. Dealers have them in stock, and have not been able to sell many.

Somehow the lens/Macro concept/ never caught on.

Most are uncoded, being unsold from before M8-time.

I paid $900 for a new one, Leica dealer/passport ....

The Macro attachment I bought used, but have yet to use it much. In trying the lens with Macro adapter around the house I notice when doing close up framing the frame lines in the viewfinder are not really so accurate.

Maybe it is just the particular attachment I have ..... I did buy it used ......,;When I have used it to photograph, say a lens on a table, I have to re frame it, as the frames, show more than is taken.

The 2.8 Elmarit M, (latest), is a fine lens, but almost as heavy as a Summicron. $600 is the good price to pay for the Elmarit in nice condition.

One way or another it is a buyer's market for 90's.

Rafael

Edited by rafael_macia

I just picked up a used 90 2.8 elmarit for $750 and it's terrific...sharp and a beautiful draw..i didn't bother with coding and at this length i doubt it matters.i had the cv apo 90 which i will now sell...very happy with the elmarit

mike

mikecettadotcom

Edited by mikelc

Thanks Peter. Do you think that the coding has made a difference? And have you put a UV/IR on the lens?

Regards

John

The coding shouldn't make any optical difference but I have put a UV/IR filter on it. Luckily it's 46mm so can be swapped from other lenses I have as I don't use the 90 Elmarit that much.

In the UK they can be had for under £500 as there seem to be a lot about - Ffordes had loads the last time I looked.

Thanks Peter. Do you think that the coding has made a difference? And have you put a UV/IR on the lens?

Regards

John

I'm not Peter. I'm George. :D But I'll answer anyway. I had mine coded because I wanted the Exif data. As far as the picture that the lens produces I can't tell any difference between coded and uncoded.

Just purchased the Elmarit 90 2.8 a few weeks ago myself . Wonderful lens . I hand coded it - and all works well. A very sharp lens , and not to heavy .

Cheers

I totally agree with Peter, I have the same lens and very, very happy with it.

This is a picture I took at night, hand held, with the Elmarit 90/2,8 wide open.

3179634447_cbb7fc3343_b.jpg

Thanks again everyone. And that's an impressive nightshot.

The credit card has just been bashed again. Managed to secure a mint boxed and complete 381xxxx example for just under 500 quid.

Suppose I'll need to shell out for IR/UV now. Are the B&W ones acceptable - the price certainly is!!

Thanks again everyone. And that's an impressive nightshot.

The credit card has just been bashed again. Managed to secure a mint boxed and complete 381xxxx example for just under 500 quid.

Suppose I'll need to shell out for IR/UV now. Are the B&W ones acceptable - the price certainly is!!

If you want to maintain continuity in the effects of the UV/IR on your M8 get a Leica filter.

B&W, Heliopan, for sure are good filters, but the results will not be the same as a Leica UV/IR. They have slightly different effects.

If you do a search of the topic you will see opinions vary.