Frr error message

eudemian

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a new quiet shutter on my original M8, shooting today in continuous mode I had the Frr blinking message in the viewfinder, and the back lcd had the following message

Shutter failure.

This happened several times. I shut off and restarted and the shutter fired normally. What is going on?

What does the Frr message mean?

Do I need to worry or is it just an M8 quirk?

Never a dull moment.

Well, if it really did say Frr not Err, one of your segments in the in-viewfinder LED display is not working properly. Try A mode and see if that segment ever lights up as you move through the range of shutter speeds.

I don't have any experience of the new shutter but the old one can give two errors - one "Shutter Failure" when the shutter is not fully cocked after repeated attempts and "Drive Blocked" which occurs when the motor tries to cock the shutter and nothing moves.

Something to keep an eye on, you have a warranty after all.

Have you installed the latest firmware with the Discrete Mode option?

Were you using that option along with Continuous Mode?

If so to both above this is a Know fault.

Simply use just Single mode with Discrete mode enabled or Continuous with Discrete Mode Disabled.

I have a new quiet shutter on my original M8, shooting today in continuous mode I had the Frr blinking message in the viewfinder, and the back lcd had the following message

Shutter failure.

This happened several times. I shut off and restarted and the shutter fired normally. What is going on?

What does the Frr message mean?

Do I need to worry or is it just an M8 quirk?

Never a dull moment.

Definitely Frr Mark so I must have a faulty LED in the viewfinder.

I was in Descreet mode and had moved into continuous shooting accidentally so it looks like it is the latest firmware bug noticed in another thread.

Thanks for the help and pointers, no wonder my search for Frr error message revealed no hits on the forum.:)

I experienced "Err" and "Shutter Fault" problem last night after shooting in continuous mode. Has never happen before and I have just upgraded recently to 2.004. I did leave discreet mode on by accident.

Something else to keep in mind!

Guest Luis D

Ah ha, so Leica said the reason why they refuse to put lens detection in a manu is because we people can forget to change the setting after change the lens, but they donot fear we will forget to disable Discrete Mode before change to Continuous. That makes logic sense :rolleyes:

Wouldn't the simplest way to deal with this issue be, to automatically disable the Descreet mode if continuous shooting is selected? Isn't this a simple programming task, or am I missing something?

Edited by eudemian
bad grammar

No M8s do discreet in C mode. That would be absurd to expect or presume, dont you think?

They show "shutter failure", after shooting like that and going back to single shot mode, or some other operation.

The fact is (or seems to be) that there is a bug in the firmware.

This also shows that engineers at Leica did not test M8 with this fw (probably only 8.2) before they launched it. And all this happens after so many mistakes they made, that are related to different electronics in this camera.

Me personnaly, after two years of different glitches connected to fw, would expect of these engineers to be careful, if not fired.