The miracle of cleaning contacts on the DMR

Overgaard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My R8/DMR behaved odd today. The f moved between 8 and 16 even it was a 2.8 lens (and the same thing without the lens, fiddling with the f-contacts on the house), the red light was blinking, the 200 ISO sign in the display was blinking and the exposure release didn't react, except fot the one on top that shot when pressed once, recocked when pressed the second time.

Very odd.

I thought about the 400mm Telyt-R I had used yesterday - had it broken something?

I had also cleaned contacts in the sofa last night, just using a pipe cleaner and my nice 'clean' hands.

Anyways, took the whole camera apart and cleaned ALL contacts ALL over the camera once again, this time with alcohol and ear cleaners.

Assembled it and made sure it was sturdy put together.

Everything works perfect again!

It's very odd problems that arise when the contacts need cleaning. I never think I've experienced the same type of error twice. It's always some new error.

Optimistic I took out my R9 where the lightmeter is way off the scale, cleaned all contacts on this in the same fashion. But it didn't change a thing :o Anyways, all cameras has to go to Solms soon for a calibration, loose connections, my 80/1.4 is off at infinity (can't focus beyond 8 meters) and a few other adjustments.

Optimistic I took out my R9 where the lightmeter is way off the scale, cleaned all contacts on this in the same fashion. But it didn't change a thing :o Anyways, all cameras has to go to Solms soon for a calibration, loose connections, my 80/1.4 is off at infinity (can't focus beyond 8 meters) and a few other adjustments.

If your R9 meter is way off, the metering cells have probably gone bad. This is fairly common and happened to me and a few other forum members. Since the R9 is modular, the cells are a module in the meter box. The whole mirror box gets replaced, so everything including focus needs to get calibrated when they put it back together.

Another thing Leica can do is make an adjustment to the metering. I had Kindermann in Canada set my R9 meter to -1/3 globally. This means every metering mode is set to -1/3. It really helps with the metering for digital and now my matrix mode is correct 90% of the time.

Robert

Good to see some DMR posts again. I am new to the DMR, as I bought mine back in October while on vacation. I have been using it with my R8, and have been fairly happy, but it has had a problem of locking up the R8 shutter after 10 to 30 exposures. To clear it I have had to remove the motor unit and manually cock the shutter and then install the motor unit. A real pain. I sent it in to Leica NJ 3 weeks ago and it is on now its way back and should be here on Tuesday. The good part is that the visit to the hospital was a no cost repair/adjustment. I am looking forward to a properly working setup.

Gene

Some of the R8 had compatibility problems with the DMR. I can't remember specifics, but it may have been related to shooting on continuous or shooting a lot in a row and filling the buffer. As you have learned, Leica upgrades these R8 to work with the DMR.

Robert

Some of the R8 had compatibility problems with the DMR. I can't remember specifics, but it may have been related to shooting on continuous or shooting a lot in a row and filling the buffer. As you have learned, Leica upgrades these R8 to work with the DMR.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Yes, I'm not sure what the issues were, but I am glad they are providing this at no cost. This morning my R8/DMR is sitting at the UPS center in DesMoines, IA. I am in Cedar Rapids, about a 2 hour drive by truck. It is scheduled to be at my door sometime Tuesday. Not sure why it takes 2 days to get it to me from where it sits right now. But I can wait until Tuesday I guess. I look forward to its return and getting to try it out this next week. This is going to create a new dilema as to which Leica to take with me, the R8/DMR or the M8... ;-) Probably both.

Gene