Update for M8 users wanting G1 as backup

tashley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's interesting to note that image quality doesn't feature at all ... :rolleyes:

Pete.

Yeah, it is all a matter of choice. :rolleyes:

If I wanted only image quality (whatever that is- it could be the unfathomable "micro contrast", lp/mm, and such salient qualities very important to the final image) in a compact, there are many P&S cams that would do that. This is the 21st century.:)

Edited by Vivek Iyer

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the m4/3 format and G1 a lot.

Ability to use M-mount lenses without any negative sides (like the significant loss of resolution in the corners with the wide angle FFs) would be a great bonus.

However there is a problem and it bothers me.

I hope that the 7-14mm panasonic lens will be an excellent match in the wide angle area,

and the 20/1.7 prime fills in the middle.

I already see little difference between 35/1.4 lux mounted on M8 and kit zoom set to 43mm FF equivalent, when stopped to f8. (Maybe I' m not oo observant or my methods of comparison are incorrect). Of course wide open like 1.4 is another story (only the Leica 25mm get close).

Of course wide open like 1.4 is another story (only the Leica 25mm get close).

Without having to use an UV/IR filter (but when you own a 35 Lux the cost of the additional doodah is insignificant)or coding it.

There are several 25mm fast lenses out there (c-mount, in particular) that would fit your purpose. Good thing that you don't waste time on "testing". Let us just leave that to the professional testers.

Rob, you're using the sensor in live-view mode to show the actual image through the lens, looking at it on the LCD or through the EVF. For best results, you of course focus with the lens wide open to minimise depth of field; you can press two buttons to zoom in to the central part of the image with further magnification available via the command dial. Then, when it's in focus, you cancel zoom mode by half depressing the shutter, manually stop down to your taking aperture and shoot.

Thanks Mark. If you stop down first, is it significantly harder to focus, say, the 90mm?

Hi Carl,

It makes sense that the SLR lenses would do much better. That seems like a good lens for the G1.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean,

Agree. The Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 is also quite compact and currently a real bargain.

Regards,

Carl