My Voigtlander 15 Heliar Report is up!

stevem7

Thanks for the report. Very comprehensive and good practical ideas for everyday use as well.

I own the 12mm Heliar and most of your advice applies to this also.

It is also outstanding value for money.

From time to time I have attached various home made filters onto the "shutter" end of the lens using Kodak Wrattan filter gel cutouts and custom made retaining clips. Nowhere near the hassle and bulk of front mounted filters for superwides. It's a bit risky though; not much room for error.

Regards

Mike

Thanks for posting your experience! I was thinking about the WATE, but after reading your review I cannot justify Leica's price difference. I'd rather put the difference towards a second body!

Thanks again,

Dimos

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your article.

Did you ever try to use Cornerfix, if not you should definitely give it a try.

I am using Cornerfix in combination with this uncoded lens, mounted with a UV/IR filter and the results are very rewarding.

Sandy did a great job.

Hans

I discovered corner fix yesterday and will add it to my review as soon as I can get it to work. I downloaded it on my Mac and I can not seem to figure out how to open a file with it. If I go to FIle, Open it does not let me open any image file.

I read the instructions but it says to choose a profile. Problem is, I can not find any profiles to choose. if anyone can give me a tip on how to use it then I would love to try it out!

Thanks!

Good and interesting article. Two comments:

- is the coating the same on both sides of UVIR filters ? I thought reversing it would have an impact on the filtering capability.

- on the external finder, another option is to use the Leica 24mm finder (the Elmarit's) and use the whole finder area to frame. I found it to be a great approximation too.

I discovered corner fix yesterday and will add it to my review as soon as I can get it to work. I downloaded it on my Mac and I can not seem to figure out how to open a file with it. If I go to FIle, Open it does not let me open any image file.

I read the instructions but it says to choose a profile. Problem is, I can not find any profiles to choose. if anyone can give me a tip on how to use it then I would love to try it out!

Thanks!

You will have to make your own profile.

1) Shoot a DNG with f5.6 from a well and evenly lit white or a grey surface.

Short range, lens set to infinity. The picture should be as light as possible, without clipping.

2) Then load this picture into CF, and make a profile out of it.

3) Then load another DNG that has to be corrected, and use the profile you have just made, and save it.

Thats all.You can use the just created profile forever.

Hans

Thanks!

Steve,

Love your web site and reviews. As for instructions, there is a .pdf file included in the installation of Cornerfix - it will show you how to generate profiles...

Nice, Steve! Your lead shot reminded me of this shot I made in the cathedral in Puerto Vallarta last Dec. (with WATE coding corrections and a little Photoshop perspective correction).

Love the lens - it "made" the M8 for me.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Outstanding review, thanks so much for posting.

I have this lens in my bag and have not brought it out in about a year. It will be on my M8 this weekend.

Thanks for the inspiration......

Steve - That was really good. You know what I like about you? You just keep growing and getting better on your site and your insights and your photography. You're keeping it fresh. Not the same old review of pictures of fruit and toys and watches. I can use the stuff you put on your site to make a choice about a lens.

Keep taking it to the next level. Very cool.