My Voigtlander 15 Heliar Report is up!

stevem7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I discovered corner fix yesterday and will add it to my review as soon as I can get it to work. I downloaded it on my Mac and I can not seem to figure out how to open a file with it. If I go to FIle, Open it does not let me open any image file.

I read the instructions but it says to choose a profile. Problem is, I can not find any profiles to choose. if anyone can give me a tip on how to use it then I would love to try it out!

Thanks!

Steve, you have to create a profile for your lens (from a image of a grey card, white wall or whatever) before you can correct a "real" image.

Sandy

Even when is not my favouritte lens. I use it with good results. I think is a question of money. If I could afford, I would have the wate with its marvellous viewfinder. I think that the new 18mm leica would be even better. The preis with its results make the voigtlander a winner.

Your review is really nice, and for a potencial buyer, make things very clear.

I use this lens almost always in a experimental way, without viewfinder, imaging the picture in my head.

Kind Regards

Miguel

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Great review, thanks for that.

I too have been trying to adapt my Heliar for use on the M8 having used it for many years on my M6. I would like to add that John Milich makes a hood to fit the UV/IR filter and slip on the lens. I find hoods of super wides too small (is there such a thing?) and the larger Milch hood actually makes the lens more pocketable in a camera bag. Don't need to use a lens cover anymore - only the hood.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steve, thanks for your review of the 15mm CV.

I bought mine used on eBay about 2 years ago--very inexpensive. Had some wear and tear on it, but seemed ok.

Until I read your review, I was never happy with it. I bought the Milich coded adapter, and the IR filter and Milich hood. Sharp focusing seemed impossible. I would typically set the f stop at 8 or 11 or 16, always assuming that would give me the sharpest focus. But it didn't work well. In addition, the Milich coded adapter never seemed to work with the lens, even though it is properly coded and I always set it on the LCD to 16mm. For some reason, on my M8.2, it works great and I have had little or no cyan fringing.

But best of all, following your directions, if I set the f stop at 8 and move the infinity mark in line with the f5.6 setting on the depth of field scale on the lens barrel, the images are quite sharp. I still don't understand why doing what you suggest works so well, but in any case I'm grateful.

My only remaining question is--does the new CV 15mm really perform better optically (other than giving you the new 52mm filter mount and not having to use some other device to attach it?) Or is the only other improvement the coupled rangefinder?

Thanks again for the CV15 update.

Thanks again to everyone who checked out the review! photolandscape, the new version appears to be the same optical formula so it probably will not have any IQ improvements. I am keeping my little older version as its performance is great for me. If I ever get a WATE or Leica 18, it will be sold. That may be years away!

Thanks again!

Steve

I had the Heliar even before I bought my M8 in early 2007. I then got a Milich adapter and hood for it.

I coded the adapter as a WATE and it works just fine. The hood is another matter. It vignetted---even without a filter in it! So I discarded it and mounted the filter by padding it with two strips of textile-based tape and press-fitting it.

There is a recommendation to reverse the filter. WARNING---this depends entirely on the filter make, i.e on the geometry of the filter mount. My filter is a B+W 486. If I reverse it, it wobbles because the filter touches the apex of the front element. If I point it the right way, it sits snugly and firmly. With different makes, the filter glass sits differently in the mount.

The old man from the Age of the Yellow Filter

Just bought one recently in one of the shops in Hong Kong together with the 50mm Summilux ASPH. Mine was not yet fully utilized because I'm still enjoying my Summilux :). Thanks for this review, this will serve as my guide on how to maximize my 15mm CV. Have a question though, they told me that the adaptor they gave me which is expensive by the way is Leica. Is there such a thing? I'm just wondering because LR cannot read data of the file from that CV....I really wonder, maybe Leica from China....:mad:

>> stevem7

I enjoyed your website a lot, great work and thx for the effort and the output.

My initial HELIAR- mistake also was to choose f-stops which were far too small.

After reading E. Puts I changed my habit and was/ and I´am still very satisfied

with the HELIAR on my M6.

One remark on the 39 mm- IR- Filter: It seems to me, that it shows the wrong side

in front on your photo of the M8 with HELIAR ? For proper functioning

the threads of the filter should be turned TOWARDS the frontelement, I reckon.

But perhaps I just didn´t see it properly ....

Best wishes

Steve, very interesting and straight to the point review.

You made me want to take out my CV Heliar 12 and use it again.

Do you think most of the issues you found on the 15 are the same on the 12?

I have the Milich filter holder and so that's not an issue, but would be interested in coding someway my 12 to avoid cyan drift.

Thank you very much for posting the review.

>> stevem7

I enjoyed your website a lot, great work and thx for the effort and the output.

My initial HELIAR- mistake also was to choose f-stops which were far too small.

After reading E. Puts I changed my habit and was/ and I´am still very satisfied

with the HELIAR on my M6.

One remark on the 39 mm- IR- Filter: It seems to me, that it shows the wrong side

in front on your photo of the M8 with HELIAR ? For proper functioning

the threads of the filter should be turned TOWARDS the frontelement, I reckon.

But perhaps I just didn´t see it properly ....

Best wishes

No there is no difference in function, but if one mounts it the other way around, the filter glass will touch the front element of the lens.

Hey Enrico,

Thanks for checking it out! I have not used the 12 but many prefer it to the 15. I would assume the 12 would have the same issues when using a filter, but I can not say 100% as I have not used one. Maybe someone else can chime in on coding the 12?

Thanks!

Steve

Steve, very interesting and straight to the point review.

You made me want to take out my CV Heliar 12 and use it again.

Do you think most of the issues you found on the 15 are the same on the 12?

I have the Milich filter holder and so that's not an issue, but would be interested in coding someway my 12 to avoid cyan drift.

Thank you very much for posting the review.

I have never seen an adapter that was Leica made. I have the CV version and the M8 will not read the data as it is not coded. If you code it, for example, to a WATE, it will read it as a WATE and corrections will be applied.

Thanks!

Just bought one recently in one of the shops in Hong Kong together with the 50mm Summilux ASPH. Mine was not yet fully utilized because I'm still enjoying my Summilux :). Thanks for this review, this will serve as my guide on how to maximize my 15mm CV. Have a question though, they told me that the adaptor they gave me which is expensive by the way is Leica. Is there such a thing? I'm just wondering because LR cannot read data of the file from that CV....I really wonder, maybe Leica from China....:mad:

Hey Enrico,

Thanks for checking it out! I have not used the 12 but many prefer it to the 15. I would assume the 12 would have the same issues when using a filter, but I can not say 100% as I have not used one. Maybe someone else can chime in on coding the 12?

Thanks!

Steve

Hello Steve, i knew today that the cyan drift issue on the Heliar 12 can be solved by using the Milich filter holder and a B+W 489 filter. This filter avoid the cyan drift, alas you do not have to code the lens. Don't ask me why, but according with my friend this filter cannot be used on the 15.

I have this B+W 489 filter mounted on my Heliar 12 and will do some test. Maybe I will report on a new thread as soon as I have something interesting to show the forum.

By the way, you dinosaur pictures are great. Is that Rex the famous Sue from the Field Museum?

I have never seen an adapter that was Leica made. I have the CV version and the M8 will not read the data as it is not coded. If you code it, for example, to a WATE, it will read it as a WATE and corrections will be applied.

Thanks!

Yes, Leica first started selling M-LTM adapters when they introduced the M camera line in 1954. They are becoming more and more rare but there are both Leitz and Leica adapters out there - both lines are of high quality. I have about ten of them that have all been milled by John Millich. Initially, the true Leica adapters were the only ones we could use for milling and hand coding because some of them lack the cutout present in other adapters. That's since changed with the adapters CV now makes (which I recommended to them in 2006).

A dealer would naturally charge more for a Leitz or Leica adapter.

Cheers,

Yes, that is Sue from the Field Museum! You are correct!

Hello Steve, i knew today that the cyan drift issue on the Heliar 12 can be solved by using the Milich filter holder and a B+W 489 filter. This filter avoid the cyan drift, alas you do not have to code the lens. Don't ask me why, but according with my friend this filter cannot be used on the 15.

I have this B+W 489 filter mounted on my Heliar 12 and will do some test. Maybe I will report on a new thread as soon as I have something interesting to show the forum.

By the way, you dinosaur pictures are great. Is that Rex the famous Sue from the Field Museum?

No there is no difference in function, but if one mounts it the other way around, the filter glass will touch the front element of the lens.

Jaap, to repeat: That depends on the filter mount. Itis not true for B+W 39mm mounts. Don't insist on reversed filters, because uncautious people may damage the front element.

The old man from the Age of the Yellow Filter

Yes, Leica first started selling M-LTM adapters when they introduced the M camera line in 1954. They are becoming more and more rare but there are both Leitz and Leica adapters out there - both lines are of high quality. I have about ten of them that have all been milled by John Millich. Initially, the true Leica adapters were the only ones we could use for milling and hand coding because some of them lack the cutout present in other adapters. That's since changed with the adapters CV now makes (which I recommended to them in 2006).

A dealer would naturally charge more for a Leitz or Leica adapter.

Cheers,

Thanks Sean, glad to hear that, I thought I was fooled by my dealer in Hong Kong. I checked the adaptor itself and found out that it has a "Leica" marking with M2 21-35 M3 135, I don't know what does it mean though.. but still I really don't know how to code them..