135 Tele Elmar on an M8 ?

The shot below was made with the 135 TE.

The light rectangle in the center simulates the rangefinder focusing patch in the middle of an M8 viewfinder - which I intentionally placed just around the birds when shooting the picture to use as a reference for questions like yours.

At longer distances like this (about 3 meters or more), the 135 will cover an area about 3x as long and wide as the patch.

At minimum focus distance - 1.5 meters - it will be a tighter crop. About 2.5x the dimensons of the RF patch.

I use the RF patch as a "pointing" device, rather than a framing device. Put the patch on the subject and it will be centered. If I put the subject on one of the sides or corners of the RF patch, I get a nice "rule of thirds" composition.

Rule of thirds - cf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

http://www.photo96.com/blog/?p=371

http://photospot2004.blogspot.com/2004/07/rule-of-thirds.html

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by adan

I find the above technique can be VERY accurate in placing subjects relative to the edge of the frame - but you have to practice it and KEEP in practice - shoot the 135 at least every couple of days - so that the "invisble box" relative to the RF patch is always fresh in your visual memory.

This shot also shows why I'd NEVER use an external finder for the 135. Too hard to keep tabs on both focus and framing. My way, my eye is already always on the RF patch for both focus and "frame awareness".

135 Tele-Elmar, M8

Edited by adan

Hi there Raphael,

It really does depend on how accurate you want to frame. For absolute accuracy you will need to use the lens on a Visoflex system. However, the suggestions that have been made above are good and work very well. I work on the "twice the size" of the rangefinder patch rule and that also works very well.

The 135mm Tele-Elmar is an outstanding lens, and can yield excellent results. The reason that Leica says that you can not use it on the M8 is because they took away the 135mm frame lines and built in the 24mm lines instead. The 135mm will bring up the 90mm lines by default, which some people also use for rough framing.

Andreas

Hi

I took the 135 Tele Elmar (f4 version) and the M8 on a walk to the beach recently.

Cyclone Hamish was on the coast at Mooloolaba and some surfers were taking advantage of the swells.

Unfortunately my lens wasn't so swell and was forward focussing, so I had better try adjusting the rangefinder ..... again :mad:

3348024821_3b5fba4c78.jpg

Hi there Raphael,

The 135mm Tele-Elmar is an outstanding lens, and can yield excellent results. The reason that Leica says that you can not use it on the M8 is because they took away the 135mm frame lines and built in the 24mm lines instead. The 135mm will bring up the 90mm lines by default, which some people also use for rough framing.

Andreas

This is an often discussed topic. I don't think Leica tells us the 135-mm is not totally apt to the M8 beacuse the removed the frames. Rather they removed the frames because the focal length is not apt to the camera. With the M9 cropping factor of 1,33 you get a real focal length of 180 mm . This is too much for measuring exactly with the rangefinder which has always been at its limits with 135 mm. If you test a Tele-Elmar or Apo-Telyt on distances between 10 to 20 m you will find out that focusssing exactly is a hit-and-miss-job. You might get better results with the new 1,4 magnifier, but you will not be able to exploit the very very high potential of those lenses. Leica is only fair to tell us. Of course the lenses can be used, but there are technmical limits.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is an often discussed topic. I don't think Leica tells us the 135-mm is not totally apt to the M8 beacuse the removed the frames. Rather they removed the frames because the focal length is not apt to the camera. With the M9 cropping factor of 1,33 you get a real focal length of 180 mm . This is too much for measuring exactly with the rangefinder which has always been at its limits with 135 mm. If you test a Tele-Elmar or Apo-Telyt on distances between 10 to 20 m you will find out that focusssing exactly is a hit-and-miss-job. You might get better results with the new 1,4 magnifier, but you will not be able to exploit the very very high potential of those lenses. Leica is only fair to tell us. Of course the lenses can be used, but there are technmical limits.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. The framelines were removed because they would be very unpractical with this viewfinder magnification and because the setting was needed for the 24 lines, Similar to the wider viewfinder on the M6TTL. And there are plenty of users on this forum that can focus consistently with 135 lenses wide open. Nothing hit-and miss about it. Personally I do not need any magnifier to obtain focus. The only essential is to set up the diopter correction exactly.

Btw, the focal length does not change. It remains 135 whatever you do. Were you able to crop a 135 shot on film to about 1/2 the size and keep focus? Of course you were. Nothing different here.

Hi Jaapv

I was going to pass on your very useful trick of over-rotating the 135 to get smaller framelines. But since you are here, perhaps you can be so kind as to describe this technique of yours to Rafael?

It was very useful to me BTW so thanks :).

Regards

Mike

There is no copyright, Mike ;) It is an ancient Leica "feature". Th achieve 90 mm framlines, just press the lens lock release and rotate the lens against the stop. That is all. The interesting thing is that 135 mm lenses have a flat rangefinder coupling, as the helicoid is deeper inside the lens. That means there is no detrimental effect on the focussing accuracy.

I am all ears .....

The techniques so far tell me different ways work for different people. Yes, I did plan to put the head on my Viso III, But using it with the rangefinder also attracted me. Over rotating to get 90 frame lines .... hmmm that might be easier (in my mind's eye) to frame. Doubling the 90 frame to 180 rather than three times ing the rangefinder patch.

Now to find one without internal fog ....

I use the RF patch as a "pointing" device, rather than a framing device. Put the patch on the subject and it will be centered. If I put the subject on one of the sides or corners of the RF patch, I get a nice "rule of thirds" composition.

Great information Andy,thanks for posting it. I'll try this with my T-E.

- Carl

Grober: the good news is that it is probably about the cheapest Leica lens to replace - especially considering the performance. $295-$395 most places I run across them.

As to focusing - I usually use mine between 5.6 and 8, which is where the max resolution really kicks in, for shots in that range Uliwer mentions. The extra DOF doesn't hurt.

I tried the APO 135 and had real focus problems with that - a shorter focus throw makes it very tricky to vernier in on the exact point. The longer throw and stiffer ring of the TE helps, and the TE has equal resolution (but not contrast) when stopped down to 5.6 (IMHO).

I've been wanting to get a used 135 - specifically the Tele-Elmar-M 4/135mm #11861... I just missed winning one on eBay... If anyone out there wants to part with theirs I would be most grateful to take it off your hands... :D

b164_1.JPG

That's the one that I have got. Why not try KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More. They normally have these lenses and the pricing is not too bad (if I remember correctly I paid US$ 495-00 for late, mint version). That is where I got mine and I have been very happy with it.

Andreas

That's the one that I have got. Why not try KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More. They normally have these lenses and the pricing is not too bad (if I remember correctly I paid US$ 495-00 for late, mint version). That is where I got mine and I have been very happy with it.

Andreas

Thanks Andreas,

I will keep an eye out there too. So do you like the lens on the M8?

Thanks Andreas,

I will keep an eye out there too. So do you like the lens on the M8?

It is an excellent lens for use on the M8. Quite a few members here on the forum have said that while the new APO-Telyt is sharper fully open, it is not by much and certainly not worth the extra expense. Here are some samples that I have taken with this lens. Hope this helps you a bit.

Andreas

Well,

I was able to get a late model Tele Elmar, one with a ribbed (rather than a scalloped focusing ring), with a removable head. So I look forward to using it on the Viso, and on the M8 with the RF.

The suggestion by jaapv to use the lens direct on the Viso for close ups, is especially interesting.

I appreciate all the response, and information, .... all informative!

thanks

Rafael