What Do You Think Is the Best Film Body Leica Has Ever Made?

rick123

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well up to recently, didn't we agree that the M3 was the highest quality of all the M's, then we devolved to cheaper parts and aghast an internal meter. So now we have the M-A. Doesn't it stand to reason that that is now the highest quality M? Just saying.....

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2006 at 10:51 AM, rick123 said:

Hi everyone,

With so much excitement about the upcoming M8, I have also continued to treasure my M6 - black body with 0.72x viewfinder. What do you think is the best Leica film body ever made?

Without a doubt the M-3. My 1955 model has needed repairs once in the past 1973 and now 2022 needs shutter curtains. What other camera comes close in usability dependability and reliability?

It's a very personal opinion, but after a range of film and digital bodies, and not enjoying the 35mm (63 degrees) angle of view, it's the M3 for me. That's why I am up to 3 M3 bodies (one always with BW, one with colour, and one more for backup and rotation with the others).

I Model A - simplicity itself

II Model D - 'automatic' focus

IIf RD 1/1000th - Just works for me

M3 - Big Screen 

M6 - If you need a meter

I have examples of most of the different film models, but the above would be the ones I would use the most.

This is very much a subjective matter, so there is no 'best', but there are favourites. 

William 

• Like 1

I've only used three: first a IIIf and later exchanged that for a M2, which I still have and use. Also had a Leicaflex R3 but that was stolen on a vacation in Greece and never found back.

Of those three I like the M2 best, mainly for the user friendlyness of the viewfinder/rangefinder. The R3 was nice but big and heavy and for me misses the finesse of an M body.

The two biggest plusses for me after the switch from IIIf to M2 were better framed photo's (no longer possible to forget to adjust the parallax setting of the VIOOH) and the fact the split image is not behind a separate opening but in the middle of the viewfinder/rangefinder so quicker to operate.

I think I specifically chose an M2 over an M3 because I'm more of a 35/50/90 person than a 50/90/135 person but that's pure personal preference.

I would have liked the M2 to have the same frame counter mechanism as the M3, I've accidentally rotated the framecounter ring on the M2 too often and then not knowing how many exposures I had left on the roll, but that's the only downside I found on that body. 

• Like 1

Why did Leitz come up with the M2 frame counter, after the M3?
It was in the 412 copies of MP they built back in those days for the elite professionals.

Did they use special film holders in their MP, that gave them more than 36 exposures?

Edited by Apochromat

On 10/26/2006 at 8:19 PM, earleygallery said:

I don't think there's an answer to this. Depends if you need an SLR or a rangefinder for starters. I love my lllf, its just such a nice object. But I'm not going to pretend that its a 'better' camera than say the M7. Is there really much to choose between the various M cameras? After all it's basically one camera (apart from the M5). Just depends if one wants built in and/or auto metering.

Oh, I see I've already replied to this thread!! (opinion still stands).

Currently, I have a M4. It’s been serviced and one of the best cameras I’ve ever owned. Could be a candidate for the best film Leica ever but my vote is for the M6 TTL Millennium. After years of black chrome, zinc alloy cameras, Leica brought back both the brass top plate and black paint in a stunning package. Not only was it a good looking camera, it was a great user as well. The Millennium opened the door for further design changes and eventually, the MP.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...