What Do You Think Is the Best Film Body Leica Has Ever Made?

rick123

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I vote for the M3 over the MP but I am currently enjoying an M3 DS that was fully serviced by CRR Luton and I gotta say it is extremely smooth, so maybe bringing the M3 up to spec is what pushed it over the top. To me, it feels as if the MP is trying to do it the way the M3 can. I've owned several Ms, and this particular M3 sings.

William.

As you know Cameras are built to a job requirement.

The Leica M is a pocket camera designed for street shooting.

The Leica R is for the heavy work, can you amagine 180mm 2.8 weighing in at 1875 attached to your beloved M5.

What's the heavest M lens, is it the 135mm f/3.4. weighing in at 450

The lightest R is the 50mm f/2 at 250, and the heavest is over 6 kilos.

You certainly need a tank to carry and hold that weight.

It's horses for courses.

Also No pun intended William.

Ken.

Ken,

Barnack did not invent the Leica for street shooting. Travel, landscapes, family and candid were what he had in mind. Others adopted it for street shooting, I expect, because it is discreet. Owing to M camera flange to film distance, it is much easier to correct an M lens than an R lens. Therefore, current M lenses are optically superior to most R lenses. M photography is my style, just as yours is SLR. As you said, horses for courses, (as I too have often said), but there are certain advantages to "pocket cameras". :) Epecially for someone who has a hard time seeing shorter than 28mm or longer than 75mm. :rolleyes:

My personal favorites are the M7 and M5, in that order. The M7 gets the nod because of the excellent meter, stepless shutter speeds and the resulting speed and accuracy of having AE available. That said, my heart is with the M5.

The M5 is just one beautifully engineered camera. The controls all feel "just right", the 50mm view is as good as it gets and the spot meter is terrific. I actually think my black M5s look great also, there is something about the design that really looks "edgy industrial" feel. That said, some think it's ugly!

I have had an M6TTL and M3 in addition to the M5 and M7 and I think they all are terrific, sometimes the best, in certain areas.

• Like 1

I'm going to stick up for the IIIg. With the rigid 50mm Summicron, this is the most beautiful of all, simple and rugged. I still prefer it to the M4. I was always fond of the Leicaflex Standard but it was rather fragile. I think the SL is the best reflex body, again simple and rugged. I couldn't calibrate mine for silver oxide as I like it to perform as a normal exposure meter like the Leicaflex Standard (most SLRs of that era are calibrated for flesh tones rather than grey cards). So I added a Schottky diode in series with the battery and then recalibrated it. Gives me a stop more sensitivity than the standard SL and

Bryan

M2 or M2R if you shoot with glasses. Other wise an M3. For 90 and 135mm, M3.

For 35mm lenses, M2.

If you must have a meter, the latest MP is best.

Old cameras may require significant repairs as age is taking a toll on rubber shutter curtains etc. I just had to reshutter my 111c and 111f.

• 15 years later...
On 12/29/2021 at 6:18 PM, TomB_tx said:

Although the M4 is my favorite, I have to agree the M5 and Leicaflex SL2 are amazing.

I really liked the large shutter dial on both of these cameras. The smaller Ms (M3, 4, 6, etc.) are too small for my hands (and I am not a big man). Why the M5 didn't have the acceptance that M4s did, I have no idea.

• Like 1

M4 and MA (MA has a brighter viewfinder), but the M4 is a tank with more frame lines than the M3 and easier loading. After that, I think Q dropped until the MP, which would probably be my favorite if I owned it instead of the MA. On the R side, the R6.2 -- another tank, great feel, only battery is for the meter.