What Do You Think Is the Best Film Body Leica Has Ever Made?

rick123

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me, nothing beats a M3 mounted with a Noctilux. It has a wonderful finder and is super smooth. The Leica M3 also has a super smooth shutter release, which seems to help at slow speeds. The M3 I have is in Black paint by Shintaro and Canadian made. It was modified to take the Leica Motor M. I use it with a Rapidwinder, rather than a motor-M as pictured below.

Having had all the other M models, I would say the M7 would come next, just for the convenience of the Auto exposure.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I find this thread extremely interesting. It seems that in terms of the body of a Leica M there is a basic form with only minor differences between the various models bodily functionality. (hehe, it almost sounds as if I am writing about a living creature in that sentence :) ). But these subtle differences create strong functional ties with each user. Yet one very objective aspect seems apparent: in terms of mechanics, the tendency toward or away from some function requiring a battery.

In this regard my tendency would be to side more with the MP than with the M7. So, then, does it come down to how much user control/responsibility the bodily functionality allows? Is this a criterion for determining a great camera body?

Respectfully,

thomas w

According to Leica, the best body made is supposed to be the current MP, I thought.

In any case there could be a difference between the best body made and the best body made to use.

I like the MP as the best camera, but on most occasions I prefer the M7 as the best body (convenient with AE) to use. :rolleyes:

William L., I saw a mint M5 in a Cologne store last month, I thought of you and wondered if I should have one just to see if all said was true. :)

According to Leica, the best body made is supposed to be the current MP, I thought.

In any case there could be a difference between the best body made and the best body made to use.

I like the MP as the best camera, but on most occasions I prefer the M7 as the best body (convenient with AE) to use.

William L., I saw a mint M5 in a Cologne store last month, I thought of you and wondered if I should have one just to see if all said was true. :)

William B,

"Mechanical Perfection" does not always mean you will get the shot. With the M7 that is more likely.

Ask Justin or David Slavin. :cool: If that M5 was black, had a recent CLA and you had mounted your 50 ASPH on it and looked through the viewfinder... :) The M5 is more like the M7. The advantages are endless. Makes an M6 a sow's ear... :DLeica M5

Let us see. I have owned an M6, M6TTL, M7, MP3, & M5 over the years.

I normally vote with my wallet on what I buy or what stays with me. I have sold everything that is film except for the M5.

I would have to say the M5 is the best for me. The M5 will be staying for a VERY LONG time.

Whenever 35, 50, or 75 (no 75 frame lines but easy to estimate) FL lenses are appropriate, the M5 is the camera leaving the house with me.

Ray

P.S.: Be VERY CAREFUL of William when it comes to the M5. He can be a very bad influence and cause you to go buy one.;)

P.S.: Be VERY CAREFUL of William when it comes to the M5. He can be a very bad influence and cause you to go buy one.

Agreed there, Ray....

There should be a label on William, something like the Surgeon General's: WARNING! This particular friend may be hazardous to your checkbook balance!

:)

Thanks.

Allan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Agreed there, Ray....

There should be a label on William, something like the Surgeon General's: WARNING! This particular friend may be hazardous to your checkbook balance!

Thanks.

Allan

I had the chance to briefly handle William's M5 today....I can honestly say up until this point I wasn't a big M5 fan. Never liked the look in silver. But his...in black it is quite nice. And there are truly some nice touches on that camera. Seeing his chrome MP hasn't helped me one bit either....

I've used all the M bodies with the exception of the M5 and the M4-2. I suspect I'd really like the M5, but I'm not willing to part with the cash for one in good shape, and the cost of keeping that old meter running is cause for concern.

As for the ones I've used, the M4 is far and away my favorite. I like the clean viewfinder without the 75mm frames, the rangefinder that never flares out, the reasonably fast film loading, very fast film rewinding, and the more accurate frame lines than the newer bodies have.

For my taste, it's the MP. That's the body I've wanted since it was introduced. I finally got there today. Yep... I traded in my M6 for a shiny new MP, and I am thrilled. Took my first few potographs with it today, and can't wait to finish the roll and get it processed.

What I like about my MP:

The simplicity of design, and clean look which is void of the red Leica logo and M6/M7 script on the front of the camera. I covered the "M6" designation and the red dot on my M6 with electrical tape while I had it.

The all mechanical shutter speeds.

A quieter shutter than my M6 had.

The rewind knob vs. the speed crank on the M6/M7. Even though it is slower to rewind, I prefer the way it's tucked in. With my M6, I had to always be careful to slide my camera in my Fogg bag with the right side down, and never the left side. It seems to me that the angled shaft of the speed crank on a M6/M7 could quite easily be bent by pressure on the angled cap of the crank which sticks out further from the left edge of the body than the rest of the left side. With the MP, I can slide the camera in the bag either way without worry.

I also like the B/Off setting on the shutter speed selector on the MP.

The no nonsense one piece, all metal film advancing lever.

My serial number, which I think is pretty cool: 2xx1000.

For my taste, it's the MP. That's the body I've wanted since it was introduced. I finally got there today. Yep... I traded in my M6 for a shiny new MP, and I am thrilled. Took my first few potographs with it today, and can't wait to finish the roll and get it processed.

What I like about my MP:

The simplicity of design, and clean look which is void of the red Leica logo and M6/M7 script on the front of the camera. I covered the "M6" designation and the red dot on my M6 with electrical tape while I had it.

The rewind knob vs. the speed crank on the M6/M7. Even though it is slower to rewind, I prefer the way it's tucked in. With my M6, I had to always be careful to slide my camera in my Fogg bag with the right side down, and never the left side. It seems to me that the angled shaft of the speed crank on a M6/M7 could quite easily be bent by pressure on the angled cap of the crank which sticks out further from the left edge of the body than the rest of the left side. With the MP, I can slide the camera in the bag either way without worry.

Congratulations on the new equipment! I will never part ways willingly with my M5, as it is the ultimate in size and body design for me. But the MP is the only other film camera I do desire to obtain someday (when my wife isn't looking). I like the idea of the MP's all-mechanical design.

What I like about my MP:

Congratulations Anthony!

It's a super camera. You have an outstanding kit with it and the two lenses you own.

Simplicity is beauty!

Thanks.

Allan

Our M4 (bought new in the US when it first came on the market)

Viewfinder reworked with M2 brightlines (35, 50, 90) by Leica USA in 1972

Shutter curtains replaced last year by Leica USA.

CLA'd by DAG, who installed hot shoe capability

What more could I ask??

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the R6.2 - entirely mechanical apart from the meter and therefore the most rugged of the R3-R9 series. I've never handled an SL2, but I'm told that that model is also pretty bomb-proof. I did have an R6.2 for about 5 years and regretted selling it whilst I was still using film. However, I've now used the replacement R8 for much longer than any other Leica I've ever owned - 8 years so far - and I still like it now that it is fitted with a DMR.

My M2 has been functioning faithfully since 1963. For several of those years it was used professionally (many rolls per work day). Once during that time it was given to a repair shop for cleaning, lubrication and adjustment. It came back with a dent in the end of the top plate, indicating that it was dropped or otherwise abused, but it still worked OK. The camera takes some time to load (original takeup spool), but the uncluttered viewfinder optimized for 35mm and functioning with 50mm and 90mm seems to offer the ideal range of lenses for the camera type. I may eventually buy an M8, but I wouldn't trade my M2 for one. I might someday have it cleaned again, but then maybe not, considering the previous experience. I'd suggest that the M2 is a good candidate for the best film body.

Well, I'm limited in my experience but I think the most beautiful object ever made was the M3. I think the M7 and MP probably are the best bodies. They are improvements on the functions of the M3........

franklin

They just need another 50 years to mature or bed in.

Cheers Pierre

Your definition of "best"? I do not think I would like to drop a seven, nor get it wet. With an R9 I found I lost more frames because I relied on aperture priority rather than assess and trade off of negative exposure against satisfactory shutter speed, and I reckon that would be likely too, with the seven. If the shutter release on the seven is anything like the nine, which is the worst on any camera I have ever used, then it would drive me insane. So thinking out loud, as a user camera I would vote the MP as Leicas cleanest development. Wrong?