try before you buy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having just spent a fair sum on servicing (Malcolm Taylor) and recoating a recently purchased 35 3.5 Summaron I found it was very prone to flaring. Was it worth spending even more on the lens by getting an E39 hood (BTW rubber £15, Leica £90!)? Instead I printed a black strip on an A4 sheet and cut a short length, wrapped it around the lens and taped it as a tight circular sleeve. Too long and you get this result [below]. But with a 30mm wide strip projecting 20mm beyond the lens front it was possible to minimise flare. The other jpeg, a high contrast (bright/shady) garden shot, still shows some flare caught bottom left of image.

If you are telling "try a lens before you buy it, it depend if you buy it in a shop and you have a digital camera to make a test "in situ".

But if you buy a lens via internet, to tell it short and have a film camera it will take a lot of time in between you buy it and get the results from film.

If you are telling "try a lens before you buy it, it depend if you buy it in a shop and you have a digital camera to make a test "in situ".

But if you buy a lens via internet, to tell it short and have a film camera it will take a lot of time in between you buy it and get the results from film.

Sorry: my heading was misleading. (I tried to edit it but you cannot change: only the thread text.) But great if you can try a lens on an M8 before spending – in this case I just meant try a virtually free bit of black paper as a shade before spending more on a lens that gives flare problems!