Is it OK to use Eclipse E2 to clean M8.2 sensor?...

sclamb

I have a lot of E2 left over as I bought it to clean my D3 due to the tin oxide used in the D3 sensor. Is it OK to use E2 on the M8.2 for sensor cleaning?

Simon

Simon,

The M 8.2 uses the same sensor as the M8, which works just fine with the Eclipse 2 cleaner. I think it even says the M 8 is approved by Leica on their site, but you may want to check this.

Gene

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks everyone. I also spoke to Leica UK but they said they just use alcohol, and they have no guidelines for cleaning. They did say that anything approved by Kodak is fine as the M8/M8.2 sensor is a Kodak make.

I wanted to use the Eclipse E2 as I have found it be the the best at drying thoroughly and not leaving streaks, so I will have a good clean tonight.

Simon

Just searched some more and found this statement from Kodak on cleaning the KAF-10500 sensor as used in the M8/M8.2:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-forum/20799-sensor-cleaning-kodak-speaks.html

Interesting as they and Leica recommend Iso Propanol or Etyhl Alcohol and warn against Methanol. Also interesting is that the Tin Oxide coating is under the cover glass, and so E2 is not necessary due to the ITO content, but is probably best because it is 95% Ethanol and therefore low Methanol content..

Simon

A word on the GreenClean kit, which I have just tried. Incidentally UK buyers should note Warehouse Express sells the small sensor kit for £44.99 whereas Robert White asks £54.63 (both delivery extra); same despatch time.

I like the wet and dry swabs and they are easy to apply. However the vacuum system is barely effective – certainly no better than a simple blower in fact. So I would use a blower and just obtain the twin sachets of wipes. A good loupe is essential and I found that a fine artist's brush, such as the ProArte Prolene 3/16" single stroke, was optimal for lifting tiny particles from the sensor and out of the chamber.

When the sensor is done, use the same wipes wet/dry to give the rear glass panel a good clean!

Edited by microview

I had a clean last night with Sensor Swabs #1 and Eclipse E2. A couple of swabs and then a quick brush with the Arctic Butterfly brush and all dust and spots are gone bar one very faint spot showing at f/16. I will leave that until the sensor needs another wet clean, which I am hoping will not be for a while. After 1,500 shutter actuations I am hoping that any oil/grease that is likely to splash around will already have done so, and so I will just need the rocket blower or VB brush for dust.

Simon