Shots from the new 18mm and 24mm Lux

dfarkas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica was very nice and let me take the 18mm Super-Elmar-M ASPH and 24mm Summilux-M ASPH lenses out for an evening in Las Vegas. I've posted photos and my impressions on my blog.

Please check it out. Comments and questions are always welcome.

Thanks,

David

Wow! Thanks, David. The 24 Summilux clearly has a lot to offer, regardless of any chart-based comparisons with the 21mm Lux..

One question for you as a 35mm user, does the 24mm seem to you to be the perfect match for the M8 in the way that the 35mm Lux was for film Ms.

Regards,

Mark

It's really nice Leica is lending these out to select folks to use. When, and I mean exact date, can I order the 18mm from Dale Photo and get it? Can I get the 24mm now? I don't want "well, maybe next month". I mean exact date.

David, thanks for doing that. Great blog -- informative and encouraging, answered many of the questions I would want to ask. And great pics -- nice to see a retailer who walks the talk when he gets behind the lens himself.

My only request is, don't leave it so long between blogs next time.

Cheers

Robert

Im wanting a 28mm LUX - something to approximate what my 35 lux does on the M6.

So am I, and I'm sure it'll come. Leica have sorted out the fast wide glass, now they can move up the focal lengths to a 28mm and revised 35mm Summilux.

My feelings at the moment are that I'll get the new 18mm and wait for a 28mm Summilux.

Thanks a lot David. I recently traded my 24 elmarit for a M7 0.85. One reason was that I thought the new lux might be the 24 for me at some time in the future. Your wonderful images tell me sometime is as soon as I can sell some nikon lenses! I am wowed by the over all look, transition to OOF, sharpness across the frame, and getting that kind of selective focus from a 24mm. It'll see use on both my M8 and M7 for sure. thanks again....Peter

PS- I see on another sight something about this lens using "series 7 hood filters"? So what kind of IR filter does it take? Thanks

Edited by innerimager

Thanks a lot David. I recently traded my 24 elmarit for a M7 0.85. One reason was that I thought the new lux might be the 24 for me at some time in the future. Your wonderful images tell me sometime is as soon as I can sell some nikon lenses! I am wowed by the over all look, transition to OOF, sharpness across the frame, and getting that kind of selective focus from a 24mm. It'll see use on both my M8 and M7 for sure. thanks again....Peter

PS- I see on another sight something about this lens using "series 7 hood filters"? So what kind of IR filter does it take? Thanks

Peter,

The 24 Lux takes the Series 7 UV/IR Leica filter (which we have in stock).

Leica Series 7 UVa/IR Filter - Black

David

I loved my 24mm Elmarit... on film. But on the M8 I just can't get used to the 'tweener focal length.

The 18 restores balance to the universe (as a 24mm-equivalent), though I already sprang for the Zeiss with Millich adapter. I wish both 18mm lenses were faster, but to keep them compact and reasonably priced they'd have to abandon full frame I guess.

I suppose the surest indication that a full frame digital M is planned (provided Leica remains in business) is that all these new lenses still cover a 36mm image circle.

Leica was very nice and let me take the 18mm Super-Elmar-M ASPH and 24mm Summilux-M ASPH lenses out for an evening in Las Vegas. I've posted photos and my impressions on my blog.

Please check it out. Comments and questions are always welcome.

Thanks,

David

David, I enjoyed this. I can't tell you how excited I am. I recently traded in my 2 month old D700, lenses etc, for a M6 and two lenses (one was the zeiss ZM 35mm f/2, which I love)

I am loving this journey.

Tom

I suppose the surest indication that a full frame digital M is planned (provided Leica remains in business) is that all these new lenses still cover a 36mm image circle.

Wouldn't they also do this to make the lenses compatible to non-digital M's?...