a new M8 issue: The coffee ring

Olsen

The coffee ring doesn't seen to affect the performance of the camera at all. Since the LCD isn't used except during reviewing of pictures, it really has no impact on the acquisition of shots. I'm not sure it's worth the $1000 or so Leica would charge to change the LCD out.

I guess it's official, my Leica is no longer perfect, but I still love her!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Also just discovered the coffee ring on an 8.2.

Does this mean the Passport has to be used?

Yes... Just hit the "Play" button THREE times - AFTER each press SLOWLY chant "There is no place like SOLMS"... (I believe it will only work in any language - If not your local dealer should be able to perform it in German)...

Since end of December 2009 I've got two M8 secondhand, both with the coffee ring. I bought the 1st in Madrid, and returned it to the shop one week later because of the coffee ring. The 2nd I bought in Germany, by phone order, and it has the coffee ring as well. I came in contact with Solms via email, following the shops's advice, and they answered: "the camera must be repaired". So I talked to the shop, and ordered a M8.2, this apparently without the CR, but they finally did not send it to me because it has the CR too! Now the shop is waiting for Solms' answer. How strange: it seems that a majority of M8 (in my personal experience it is "all M8": 3 out of 3) do have this weird coffee ring!

I just measured the coffee ring: aprox. 1,5 x 2,5 cm (I express it deliberately in cm, not in mm, because the borders are very soft), more or less the size of the sensor! Does the sensor become warm? Could that be the origin? In any case, the CR of my 2nd M8 is much more lighter in color than the one of my first M8. And the shapes are not exactly the same.

• Like 1

I discovered the coffee ring issue just days after I received my second-hand M8. I googled it then found this place!

Luckily the camera is still under warranty till November 2010. Will Leica provide exteneded warranty on the repair job? Is it better off send it now or just before the warranty expires?

I know it's going to take months to get it fixed and I will definitely miss my M8 :(

Just curious... How many of those that have the CR are making long exposures or have held the B shutter open for long periods? Or, as a follow up, does anyone know how hot the sensor or the edge of the board might get during a long exposure?

Edited by RickLeica

• 3 months later...

well- whaddya know- that legendary leitz quality. I just purchased an m8 and it has this ring. Mine is near the center- an oblong 1.5cm or so... The camera only has 6k actuation...

What is the consensus here: ignore or repair?

Will it grow- is the camera damaged - other than a slight annoyance when viewing light backgrounds on the screen.

How much does Leitz charge for the repair- what are experiences with this repair, etc. does it just come back? How does Leica explain this defect?

so am I correct in assuming that everyone who has experienced this has had the camera repaired?

Has anyone ignored it? Did it get worse?

I think the camera I just bought is out of warranty- I am awaiting word from Solms.

If this is the case then Leica takes no responsibility? What is the out of warranty repair cost?

I think this is pretty bad- considering the M8 I have only has 6K actuations and is in cosmetically excellent condition... unacceptable really.

Doesn't this illustrate Leica's problem? Our perception of their poduct quality is influenced by the quality of a (say) $30 display bought in from China over which they have no influence. They can bitch about the quality to the supplier but cannot apply the same quality control they do to their lenses.

I can't find the display listed but a 3.5" display from Hitachi for delivery tomorrow costs $80, one off. With a bulk forward contract, that cost will plummet. My guess is it's an hour's work to change the display plus the inevitable rangefinder check. Add in logistics and the cost could easily be €200.

Hi

Try removing batteries, and leaving for 24 hours in coolest part of cool airing cupboard, if it contains a heater or hot tank don't use the heater or immersion... don't try a cool oven, different sort of treatment, like drying K9 in microwave...

Airing cupboard will normally cure - some - humidity and stiff lube problems, but I'd nominate a guinea pig, rather than all writing off M8s together.

It is not a good idea getting even a M2 wet or moving from indoor to outdoors in cold weather, even coffee shops can have high humidity. I do like coffee as well.

Noel