a new M8 issue: The coffee ring

Olsen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had my M8 for two years now. It has been to Solms for fixing 'the line problem'. I have not decided yet on shutter/lcd update. I have used it extensively as an amateur. In snow and in rain. As I do with all my cameras. Now appears this coffee ring on the lcd display. - I thought something was wrong with the picture file, but this was not the case. It is a brownish, squarish ring in the middle of the lcd display. When looking closely at it, it is not only a ring, but rather a big brown - but transparent dot, right in the middle of the lcd.

Could it be humidity? Have anyone else experienced this problem?

I have had a 1Ds II and III along with my M8. Neither of them have been treated any better. I sold the 1Ds II last year after having it for two years. Here the lcd was far smaller, but I can't remember that I had a similar issue. My 1Ds III has a similar sized lcd as the M8, but it is only one year old. - Still, the general finish of the camera looks better on my M8. This paint on the 1Ds II/III is coming off 'just like that'.

It is not a serious problem, only a visual 'mishap'. I have tried to photograph the coffee ring. It was not easy. I had to underexpose with several stops to make it appear.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

maybe you are starting to wear off the anti reflection coating on the screen. mine was pretty badly worn from riding in my bag and repeated wiping of nose grease.

my wear marks were a different shape but the idea is the same. anyway, they were on the outside, not inside. so if yours are inside i am off base.

It looks like the hood of a lens or something has been bouncing against the LCD in the camera bag and this for long periods of time. Any object in your camera bag with that kind of shape ?

It looks like the hood of a lens or something has been bouncing against the LCD in the camera bag and this for long periods of time. Any object in your camera bag with that kind of shape ?

No. My M8 has a soft bed in the bag. When used, that is another thing.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It looks like like the seal between the LCD & the plastic cover has been compromised and let in humid air and dust... Like a double pane window who's seal has broke...

This is my theory too. It is only visible when shooting particularly 'white' scenes, like a snowy field and a overcast sky etc.

Olsen, this may be similar:

While working with the M8 several hours in the rain, I tried to keep the lens (WATE) pointed down to keep it from getting rain and showing surface spots in the images. That meant, of course, that I kept the LCD side up.

The camera developed noticeable humidity between the LCD screen and the standard M8 glass cover. That is, I saw fuzzy wet places developing at all four corners, under the protective cover plate.

It dried up after a day or so, but it was clear that the corners aren't fully sealed.

My guess from looking at your picture is that the cover glass is indeed separating from the LCD, as kevin suggested.

At least one person a year or so ago said the cover glass had come off his LCD and asked about gluing it back on. It looks as if the cement Leica uses isn't all that effective.

When you send it in for a shutter/frameline upgrade mention it to Leica... I would not be supprised if you get a sapphire replacement for free :D

I sent mine in in January to NJ... It was returned with an apology that they did the sapphire upgrade by mistake - and at no charge!!!... I chalk it up to being such a fanboy here on their forum :p

... It is a brownish, squarish ring in the middle of the lcd display. When looking closely at it, it is not only a ring, but rather a big brown - but transparent dot, right in the middle of the lcd.

Could it be humidity? Have anyone else experienced this problem?

Yep, similar here and looking like an inverted U. No rough handling or exposure to excessive humidity and usually in a half case. 15k actuations so far.

I sent in my M8 for back focusing error with a 90mm Summicron lens. I just got it back and it has that same "coffee ring" that you posted. Same identical color, shape and size. I know it wasn't there when I ship it to Leica so I didn't know what had happened until now to find out I'm not the only one. Could it be done on purpose as to seal the LCD screen?

I conclude that 'this coffee ring' appears as a result of aging. It really isn't a problem. It is only visible at certain types of motives and has no implications on the operation of the camera.

- It irritates me far more that the paint is coming off my one year old Canon 1Ds III.

This shutter/lcd up grade, is it still on? What does it cost?

try a few of days in a dehumidifying cabinet with the bottom off. partially removing the top plate may also help if you are brave enough to tackle it. since it's 2 years and not in or nearly out of warranty and the mon is one of the most difficult parts to access in the m8, it's going to be an expensive repair from leica