HELP! ... firmware update 2.004 CRASHED my m8

dm1127

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hellow all!

I also upgraded my M8u to 2.004 yesterday and the same happened to me - after some 20 shots "Err - Shutter fault" happened. :mad:

No magic tricks available I think... unluckily I even don't have the 2.002 firmware release available to see whether a downgrade would help here.

Does anyone have the previous release handy before I'll send my M8 to Leica?

Cheers,

/Markku

I am very sorry that you got hit, too, and even more sorry to remind you that the instruction for the upgrade states that upgraded cameras with the silent shutter cannot be downgraded to a previous firmware release. So, I wouldn't even try!

Discreet mode is best used in single mode, otherwise camera may die? Come on, you can't be serious?!

exactly, if the camera would purposely die in such case it would the be worst possible design;) As the setting to 'discrete' is SW only there should be automatic 'normal' advance setting in case of c-mode.

Guess how many would by accident switch the c-mode on in case of using discrete mode? And further sometimes some tricks do happen in your camera pack or back pack - namely something accidently presses the switches and buttons and breaks the camera, right well done!

/Markku

I am very sorry that you got hit, too, and even more sorry to remind you that the instruction for the upgrade states that upgraded cameras with the silent shutter cannot be downgraded to a previous firmware release. So, I wouldn't even try!

thanks!

come to think of this...if this is just bad luck and only a very few should suffer this then its OK but if this really is something that switching the c-mode on by accident would break your camera then it would mean that Leica will soon have loads of cameras to repair.

I would personally call this firmware deferred as I don't believe that this is only bad luck for a few rather it sounds like design issue....

After loading the update I did some test shooting both single and continuous with discrete turned on. There didn't seem to be any problems. I would shoot 4 or 5 in continuous then switch to single, turn camera on off etc and no problems so far. I had the shutter upgrade done just before Christmas and also there were some circuit boards replaced when it got fried on a previous firmware update.

I once had my camera crap out on me in the middle of a series of shots in C mode & I thought it had died. Turned out to be a sudden battery death, but I could not believe how fast it went from happy to stone dead. The upgrade process itself I guess is a big load on the batteries.

Ahh, me too! Now I know what to call that dark moment in the life of my M8.

Discreet mode is best used in single mode, otherwise camera may die? Come on, you can't be serious?!

Manfred, I only said that this MIGHT be possible, this is not so. I tried to duplicate your results my my 2 M8 bodies, no problems for me, sorry that your cameras had problems.Russell

Edited by russell c. greenberg
with my 2 M8 bodies, not my my 2 M8 bodies

>>>"Adan, I absolutely agree with you Re: continuous/discreet combo. That is a recipe for disaster. When I have to shoot continuous, I will only do so with normal advance set, not discreet. Russell">>>

If for some reason this senario is true or creates a greater risk in that the camera may lock up or stop wroking.......that would mean that when one is shooting in "single mode" and finds they immediately need to switch to "continuous mode"...they would have to stop, go into the menu, shut off "discreet mode" and then switch to "continuous". Thats more cumbersome than using the WATE and having to go into the menu to change it's focal length when one mechnically switches the lens to a different focal length. Cannot believe discreet mode was designed to have this issue, but I do beleive there may be some sort of firmware glitch that will have to be addressed in future release. Seems from reports, that it happens more often with a M8u than the M8 (classic). Would most agree with this???

D&A

Edited by D&A

I had a similar experience when first updating my Canon 1Ds. I can't any longer remember all the details of it, but the display only showed 'error' and the camera would do 'nothing'. The camera was away for a few weeks since their service facility here in Norway could not solve it.

They concluded that I had done something wrong during the up date sequence (it's easier to up date M8) and they had to 'set up' the camera from the start again. I also had a problem with up dating my 1Ds II once. The process stopped. Pretty sweaty, I started the process once more, and it worked OK.

My M8 returned to life after two days without battery and now seems to work with FW 2.004. So it was definitely not a faulty battery, not a faulty firmware file, and not a faulty update procedure. It's just that the new firmware can lead to a particularly thorough and long lasting camera freeze. I have enjoyed more of those than I care to count with a number of different bodies, only they were completely gone with FW 2.000. Now they are back.

The M8u keeps saying "Attention Shutter Fault" and nothing else. So both cameras go off to Solms today, one for the upgrade, one for repair.

Manfred,

I would still not rule out a 'faulty battery'. My two batteries are two years old and I experience more and more small problems with them. If my camera has been lying about idle for a while, the battery indicator might show that the battery is full. But after a few exposures it shows that it is not. Then suddenly the camera will not operate properly.

Which reminds me that i should buy two new batteries...

My M8 returned to life after two days without battery and now seems to work with FW 2.004. So it was definitely not a faulty battery, not a faulty firmware file, and not a faulty update procedure. It's just that the new firmware can lead to a particularly thorough and long lasting camera freeze. I have enjoyed more of those than I care to count with a number of different bodies, only they were completely gone with FW 2.000. Now they are back.

The M8u keeps saying "Attention Shutter Fault" and nothing else. So both cameras go off to Solms today, one for the upgrade, one for repair.

Manfred, If you live within "comfortable " driving distance to Solms, I suggest you set up an appointment with a technical rep and go there. I am lucky that I live 45 minutes away from Allendale, NJ, The US Headquarters. ( If this trip is doable for you,) you will save a lot of time , also ,maybe 1 camera could be fixed "while you wait". Russell

Is there any other benefit to the 8.2 owner besides the code for the new lens?

As for the M8 owner I understand you get the discreet, however with all the issues has it been worth it?

Understanding reading this thread the concern is with Discreet/ Cont... mode in combination and as stated by some why would you want to use the two modes in combination? Does it not made more sense that Leica should have a block of the combination or a override to single / discreet it failure occurs?

I'm somewhat new to this forum, but perhaps a more seasoned member might create a poll for the two cameras to determine if people are upgrading and if they have has issues /failure.

I'm thinking I will leave my 8.2 at 2.002 given the above.

Cheers and Be Well

George

I updated my M8 and 8.2 the day 2.004 was issued and I have had no problems whatsoever. I've forgottenly used discrete and continuous a couple of times and suffered no ill consequence as yet.

But then I never had a problem with any other updates. Leo