HELP! ... firmware update 2.004 CRASHED my m8

dm1127

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i installed the firmware update 2.004 this morning excitedly, anticipating discreet mode. during the update the red line frame of a warning screen popped up, no words made it onto the LCD. it stayed like that for about 5 minutes. i shut the camera down and powered it up. nothing. i switched to a clean card, nothing. i tried booting with a new 2GB card with the firmware update on it, nothing. the status light in the lower right of the LCD, the red one, goes on when i change the battery for about 20 seconds but then of course, nothing.

can someone suggest a way to reboot to a default state so i can try the update again. or am i dreaming and it's going to have to go to NEW JERSEY!?

i am assuming that the update crashed mid-way through and now the camera has no operating system.

if anyone can help... please HELP!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anybody post what the exact size of the .upd file on the SD card should be? Easy enough to make a manual check.

Btw. This can happen if the SD card is not removed from the reader safely. Easy enough to do....

Mine shows 4.78 MB and was successful.

Mike

i think for now i will wait 24 hours for the internal battery to die and then try again (also Leica's suggestion). the card i originally used for the install has the full 4.8 mb file on it, so that wasn't the issue.

i am hopeful that a board didn't fry.

fingers crossed. thank you everyone for all the information.

Another problem is that the re-cocking of the shutter does not always occur when you let your finger off of the shutter release, necessitating turning the camera off and on again. But nine times out of ten it works o.k.

Firmware 2.005, anyone?

Can anybody post what the exact size of the .upd file on the SD card should be? Easy enough to make a manual check.

Btw. This can happen if the SD card is not removed from the reader safely. Easy enough to do....

It is 5016.342 bytes.

Your description is a little vague. After you choose to upgrade you get a progress bar, and it takes awhile before it shows anything, there is no word until it finishes the process, then it asks you to restart....

sorry, i was a bit vague about the screen display. it started off as the usual progress bar, the next change was to the red frameline screen familiar for an alert message, that is where it locked up. i waited at least 5 minutes before powering the camera down to see if it would recover or if it had reached the update and just crashed before displaying the restart message. apparently it was something more sinister, i speculate of course.

the firmware file size is showing on my desktop as 4.8mb. i am using MAC OSX 10.5.6.

i only recently updated to the 2.002 firmware and that update went off without a hitch.

so strange. i will see tomorrow morning if when the internal battery is dead if i can resurrect the camera.

Windows file size (unzipped) is given as 4.78 MB (5,017,600 bytes) by the operating system.

DM1127 - are you able to report on the file size + the operating system you're working with?

Winzip will display the exact size.