Lens Advice Please....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I want to buy a lens with a focal length greater than say 60mm.

Would any kind soul give me a potted resume of what I should buy. I want a chrome lens and this is my only stipulation. New or second hand.

This would be very helpful and I thank you in advance.

Best wishes

Guy

If you buy a 75mm Cron it will more then likely be coded. There are no f/2 75mm lenses that aren't ASPH. There is the 75mm Lux, f/1.4, that is of the older style lens and none of them, to my knowledge, were ever coded at the factory during production. That doesn't mean they haven't been coded since the introduction of the M8.

The elmarit 90mm is again of the older style lens, NON ASPH, and although it is a very good lens it is not in the same class as all of the ASPH lenses, whether 75mm or 90mm.

This is interesting that the elmarit is not rated as good as the cron.

Is it really a good idea to buy ASPH ? Do you need to code at this focal length?

Hi Guy,

Focal length over 60mm, I would suggest either a 75mm Summicron or a 90mm Summicron.

Andreas

I'll vouch for the 90mm Summicron. One class act. Though if I'd bought it after the M8 was introduced with the 1.33 crop factor I would probably have gone for the 75.

- Vikas

Ok, thanks, its the 5omm for me then ! Could someone explain about the filters.... I've read too much about them and I'm not slightly confused :-( what filters do I actually need? and can anyone suggest a good place to find them in the UK?

Thanks

Dawn

Ok, thanks, its the 5omm for me then ! Could someone explain about the filters.... I've read too much about them and I'm not slightly confused :-( what filters do I actually need? and can anyone suggest a good place to find them in the UK?

Thanks

Dawn

Dawn,

I have the 75/f2 Asph/APO Summicron and no filter at all, and it doesn't suffer too much.

You get 2 filters with the M8 - so I should order one for the 75 - but I just haven't.

For the M8 the 75 seems to be an ideal choice - for film a lot of people prefer the 90

How did you start the thread with >60 and then say its the 5omm for me then?

(Crop factor?)

Thanks

Dawn

thread cross-up from this one: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/79365-m8-lens-advice.html#post827884

You really only need coding done on lenses of 35mm and wider. This is mainly to correct light fall off, vignetting, color correction etc. For 50mm and above you don't need to have coding done - unless that is, if you want the focal length to appear automatically in the EXIF data.

Andreas