M8 Lens advice

Wow, thanks guys.... so many replies!

I shoot mostly portraits and street photography, I shoot with a Canon 1DS MK III for most of my work but have been wanting an M8 for a while and have sold my 500mm lens to fund it :-)

I think your advice about the 50mm is spot on..I'll make that my first lens and then build from there I think... can't wait for it all to arrive LOL.

Wow, thanks guys.... so many replies!

I shoot mostly portraits and street photography, I shoot with a Canon 1DS MK III for most of my work but have been wanting an M8 for a while and have sold my 500mm lens to fund it :-)

I think your advice about the 50mm is spot on..I'll make that my first lens and then build from there I think... can't wait for it all to arrive LOL.

Well the 50 is good - but it is in the middle, and may not do either street or portraits very well.

Mostly street - then the 28 is getting pretty close to ideal (24 wouldn't be bad either).

As I mentioned earlier I got a 28mm Ultron new (was ~200 UK#)

That is hard to beat it for just getting a setup that allows you to shoot.

For portraits the 50 becomes the FF equivalent of a 67-mm, where as the 75 becomes 100-mm. The 75/f2 AA technically is one of Leica's best lenses, and in practice that shows as makes some stunning shots.

If you are not going to go to reviews, then I might recommend you see if a shop can let you hire a lens for the day or 1/2 day.

I would bet that you would not get the 50-mm if you did that.

I think the 50mm will make a good starter lens...to which I can add when I have more money LOL... this is about to clear out my bank account LOL. But the 75mm is also very tempting....

I doubt it matters a whole lot, you are probably going to be happy no matter what lens you start out with.

Also you'll probably will end up with a few in end - just the order you get them in will be your own. There is no wrong answer.

Happy shooting.

Of course, a recurrent (and very appropriate) question here is what you tend to photograph.

Personally, I like to have my M8 with me at all times. Although I go for certain types of street/scenery/situational photography, I also like to take a nice landscape when an opportunity presents itself. And, considering I don't really like to change lenses when on the go, I usually carry my Elmarit 28mm/F2.8. This comes close to a 35 mm(37,24 mm), and in my eyes this is one of the most versatile lenses. It's a light lens, and the size is quite limited too. Definitely one to consider...

Guest JasonG

Hi all,

I've been watching this discussion with some interest, as a tight-budget M8 user. ;)

When I bought my M8, I was having the same choices as are you and eventually I went for a 50 'cron, being a sensible size, reasonable focal length and not too pricey (especially given that I got a very good deal!). As I shoot mainly street, with the occasional party and family stuff I have to say that sometimes I find the 50 a touch long but it is quite useable.

I'd suggest considering the 'cron, given the much lower price than the 'lux, the loss of a three-quarter stop or so hasn't given me much trouble. ;)

Tra

Jason

It so much depends on style of shooting / typical subjects.

For me, the M8 + 35 cron (I have pre-asph mk IV) is the ideal carry anywhere combination.

2nd lens would depend on where you want to go.

- People / portraits then either a 50 or 75 (I'd opt for 75)

- street / landscape / building 28 cron or 24 elmarit. 28 cron asph has a lot going for it - it's so sharp and fast.

Enjoy!