Times Square at night in the rain...

audidudi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had hoped to find some time during the day to do some photography in and around Times Square but only ended up able to grab a handful of snapshots on the way to and from dinner last Friday night. No serious art here, I'm afraid, but a few semi-interesting photos nonetheless...

3318831244_5679d473c4_o.jpg

3318005689_2df730587d_o.jpg

3318005599_46540170b7_o.jpg

3318831296_6d63b23d6d_o.jpg

Shot handheld with a Digilux 2 @ ISO 200

Edited by audidudi

I like number 2, too. After the rain...

This was my favorite as well, although No. 4 is a close second. FYI, No. 4 was literally a random shot as I accidentally pressed the shutter button when I was bumped into while crossing the street! I am reluctant to take credit for it, although I guess I did make sure the camera was out and pointed in the proper direction when I was bumped, so it's not like I had no involvement whatsoever...

#4 for me. It really caught my eye on the RSS feed. :)

There's a guy who writes for one of the UK mags who is a big advocate of never using the viewfinder. This shot may have been an accident, but it does prove that approach really can work well.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

#4 is so dynamic - not only the visible motion, but the composition & array of colors. And it looks to me like someone in the background is carrying a shopping bag, while the nearer woman is dragging her luggage. Both an image of the particular place, & a capture of the 'essence' of urban bustle!

Kirk

PS re: the 'accidental' aspect of the shot: I recall Chris Rauschenberg saying that the whole job of the photographer is to render oneself accident-prone. In other words, pre-visualization ain't the only way!

Edited by thompsonkirk
ps

#4 is so dynamic - not only the visible motion, but the composition & array of colors. And it looks to me like someone in the background is carrying a shopping bag, while the nearer woman is dragging her luggage. Both an image of the particular place, & a capture of the 'essence' of urban bustle!

Actually, they were both suitcases and they definitely caught my eye. The girl was dressed '50s style with a ponytail and Poodle skirt and the guy was all '90s grunge under his jacket. I tried to get into position to photograph them again, but they were practically running after they crossed the street and quickly melted back into the crowd. Had I been on my own, I might well have taken off after them, but as I was walking with somebody and on my way to dinner, I had no choice but to let them go...

PS re: the 'accidental' aspect of the shot: I recall Chris Rauschenberg saying that the whole job of the photographer is to render oneself accident-prone. In other words, pre-visualization ain't the only way!

You may be interested to know that No. 2 was shot without my composing the image or even picking the exact moment of exposure. I put the self-timer on 10-second delay, propped the camera on the cover of a handy trash can, and held it steady until the shutter tripped. Had I actually composed the image, my OCD would have almost certainly caused me to insure the horizon was level.

Truth be told, I may have to experiment with this further. Earlier in the evening, I had been goofing around in the bar, doing essentially the same thing (using my finger to cover the blinking LED so as not to give away my scheme!) and frankly, I'm surprised by some of the results ... perhaps I'll post some of them up later.

Lovely, fun and you've captured the spirit of Times Square. Barbara's office is at #3 Times Square (she calls it "tourist hell"), and due to the crowds sometimes she has to go around in the revolving door three or four times in order to get out of her building in the evening.