Sign in to follow this  
dfarkas

M8 Firmware 2.004

Where did you learn about 2.004 update? What is the source of this info???

He's a Leica dealer, so I imagine he heard it from Leica.

Dear dfarkas;

David Farkas owns(?) Dale Photo & Digital in Florida, which is a Leica Premier Dealership.

Pete.

Oops, cross-post.

Dear dfarkas;

I got the news from Leica USA in a memo that went out to dealers this afternoon.

David

Darn! - and I lose my high-speed internet today (Feb. 28 - newspaper finally folded - cleaning out my desk now!)

Let's see - at 9 minutes per megabyte download time.......

Anyone want to help a leisure-class (i.e. unemployed, freelance, whatever) photographer by sending a 2.004 CARE package on a CD? (PM me)

Andy,

Bring your camera to PMA. Justin will update your firmware at the Leica booth. See you there.

I still can't believe they closed the Rocky Mountain News after 150 years!

David

I just confirmed the discreet shutter advance function being on the new firmware with another very reliable Leica source. The original post is definitely correct.

Leica is a good company. We should continue to support them. Skip the new car and buy Leica M lenses instead

!!

If I remember correctly the camera wipes the FW file from the SD card after the update. So you will need to write the update file again to the card to use it in a second camera,

Jeff

You can overcome the need to write the data back to the card after an update if you set the write protect tab on the SD card to "lock" before you put the card in a camera.

I'm very pleased to hear about the delayed re-cocking.

Bob.

Guest guy_mancuso
Andy,

Bring your camera to PMA. Justin will update your firmware at the Leica booth. See you there.

I still can't believe they closed the Rocky Mountain News after 150 years!

David

Oh good Andy will be there. Awesome

Does anybody know of a free download to successfully unzip these files? WinZip costs over $50.00, a ridiculous expense for a program that I would use only for firmware upgrades. It costs me $.43 to send my SD card to Leica NJ and I get it back 1 to 2 days later. I tried to unzip this file once using a 1 time free Win Zip program and was unsuccessful. I am not very computer literate. I also have a PC. Right now I am using Lightroom1.4 via the "hunt and peck" method. Would love to meet computer savvy individuals for lessons. I know this sounds odd, (2 m8 bodies and trying to save money) but I am recently unemployed, and have always acquired my gear through savvy trading w/o spending money (or at least minimal cash). Please help. Russell

Darn! - and I lose my high-speed internet today (Feb. 28 - newspaper finally folded - cleaning out my desk now!)

Let's see - at 9 minutes per megabyte download time.......

Anyone want to help a leisure-class (i.e. unemployed, freelance, whatever) photographer by sending a 2.004 CARE package on a CD? (PM me)

Andy,

I was shocked to hear about the News - I know my own newspaper company is having it's own problems. Good luck and I would be happy to send the firmware to you.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do in the future.

Terry

You can overcome the need to write the data back to the card after an update if you set the write protect tab on the SD card to "lock" before you put the card in a camera.

I'm very pleased to hear about the delayed re-cocking.

Bob.

Bob, Do I set the write protect tab to lock before or after loading the upgrade to the 1st camera? I have 2 M8 bodies and need to upgrade both, this procedure of loading to 2 cameras is new to me. (1st time for 2 cameras) Thanks, Russell

Discreet advance is now available for all M8 models

BLOODY BRILLIANT!

This is tremendous news.

.............. Chris

Darn!...newspaper finally folded - cleaning out my desk now!....

Andy - Dam indeed. This is a tough time to be a photographer. Very sorry to hear of your misfortune.

............... Chris

Emile, Thanks, I will give this a try after the firmware upgrade can be downloaded (March 3). Russell

Russell,

You could do a 'dry run' on the current firmware version by downloading it from the Leica website so you'll know that 7-zip works without having to wait for the new firmware to be released.

Pete.

Bob, Do I set the write protect tab to lock before or after loading the upgrade to the 1st camera? I have 2 M8 bodies and need to upgrade both, this procedure of loading to 2 cameras is new to me. (1st time for 2 cameras) Thanks, Russell

Lock the card after you have copied the *.upd file to the SD card but before you use it to update any camera. As long as the card remains locked ie. the camera can't delete the update file, you can use the card to update any number of cameras.

Some of us have acquired low capacity such as 64, 128 or 256MB cards solely for doing updates and keep all updates on the card after locking it. The camera asks you to confirm the update version you want to use.

Bob.

Grober, I believe that the discreet advance might be the same setting as the M8.2 has. This means that the shutter release will be delayed as long as you hold the button down.If I am right, we will be able to "cloak " the noise of the shutter on our M8(M8u)just like the owners of M8.2 owners. Eagerly awaiting announcement on March 3rd. to confirm this. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? let us know. Russell

Kiptin, an M8 has just decloaked and has its weapons armed and shields up.