M8 Firmware 2.004

dfarkas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... For me the main disadvantage is that I find I can shoot much faster with the standard mode than with discrete. In many cases with fast moving events I like to be able to shoot 2-3 shots within a few seconds. The delayed rewind slows the repeat rate down substantially, by a factor 2 or so. ...

So it's a good thing that Leica provided the choice to turn Discreet Mode off through the menu system then? :rolleyes:

Pete.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont know what the M8.2 manual advises and perhaps that does not apply to the M8 anyway, but I dont think that having set discreet shutter mode that I would go back and forth betweeen continuous and single shot. I would probably turn discreet shutter off in the menu. I did not see any FW release notes concerning this behaviour?

Jeff

A timely lifting of the finger maybe? Or anticipate the shooting conditions and put it in the user settings....

So it's a good thing that Leica provided the choice to turn Discreet Mode off through the menu system then? :rolleyes:

Pete.

Yes, I did just that, for the reasons explained above, and I doubt if I will be using it all that much.

Nevertheless I am delighted that Leica provided us with the choice of using this mode on the M8, it is a good move for various reasons and makes me a much happier customer.

Just for information, I've now updated my M8u, and am pleased to report that the shutter / re-cock sound of the 8u and 8.2 are identical. SO pleased as I now have matched cameras that I can work with in quiet places.

THANKS AGAIN LEICA!

Chris, I second every single word of yours. I'm just gonna shoot at a gig tomorrow in the evening... let's see.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Chris, that's good to know. Now, the shutter, framelines, cover glass, vulcanite and black dot upgrades really do take you up to M8.2, aside I suppose from getting 8 seconds instead of S mode.

Mark - I didn't bother with the vulcanite - and in some ways I prefer the black chrome of the M8c to the paint on the 8.2 (feels a bit fragile...).

The other main difference to the M8.2 is the EV compensation (which is useful). However, what is, I think REALLY excellent news for anyone who has an un-upgraded M8 and an M8.2 is that they can now upgrade the M8 and have something which has 95% of the goodness of the M8.2. This for me has fully justified my earlier decision to upgrade and buy the 8.2 early. Total investment's been acceptable, and, I think, given me great value given the subsquent collapse of the pound sterling against the Euro.

My working assumption is that the delayed recock was a feature that was developed for the M8.2 hardware . I assume that Leica has finite resources for testing, and so most likely deferred testing the delayed recock against the original M8 hardware until after releasing the M8.2 to market. [- -]

So, I'm glad they released it with the new firmware. I very much doubt if it was a calculated marketing ploy.

Having been in the no-man's land between development and marketing for ages, I often saw that it is much better to launch with less features than more. The core capabilities of the product can be conveyed.

And maybe, a year ago, the idea came up, about this type of feature of delayed action. So it can be genuine innovation.

Anyway, I am very pleased with Leica how they handle this roll-out of features.

Alberti

I tried the Discreet feature and I think it's useless. Before the upgrade, I thought the advance frame motor was the noise culprit. I was extemely astounded to notice that the ugly noise comes from the shutter itself.

I tested the discreet feature with my wife, from 15 feet away and she turned her hed each and every time I clicked the shutter.

I won't be using it at all. The noise level is as high as before.

Interestingly, I've just been in RG Lewis (London) and Len has upgraded the two M8 Classics that he has in stock. Certainly the discreet mode works on the camera - but I was astounded by how much louder the shutter noise is when you compare it with the upgraded shutter.

Lesson - if part of M goodness for you is discreet operation, I'd get the upgrade to the shutter while it's still available - now that we've got the new firmware, it's really worth it.

I could not agree more, Chris. When I upgraded one of my bodies, I thought "hmm, nice, but is that all there is?" but the discreet advance really brings out the difference. :) Nenad is spot-on.

Somehow it does not really work for the M8c. My wife was in the bedroom upstairs when I tried it: "Stop taking photographs, it is late..." :o

Edited by jaapv

Lesson - if part of M goodness for you is discreet operation, I'd get the upgrade to the shutter while it's still available - now that we've got the new firmware, it's really worth it.

Chris, you make a valid point. I don't think anyone should assume the upgrade will be available indefinitely. If anyone is minded to upgrade, they should do it sooner rather than later. The discreet mode on the M8c hints at what the upgraded shutter can add.

You were wise to get in there early before the pound collapsed against the euro. I was throwing a strop at the time and refusing to upgrade my cameras because Leica wouldn't include the discreet shutter mode...

I'm now paying the price with more expensive euros. That will provide a little schadenfreude for my detractors...

I'm hoping the separation of the re-cocking is going to allow me to shoot at slower shutter speeds :D.

Thanks Leica for the FW upgrade, thanks for listening.

Robert,

The separation of shutter wind from the release will have no effect on the vibration (or perceived vibration) during the exposure. When you hear the second "clunk," the shutter has already closed and no matter how long the wind is delayed, it will not matter. Any image-dgrading vibration occurs in the first opening "clunk."

That still leaves you with a shorter, better controlled, initial noise duration even if it does not have an impact on the image captured.

Mark - no schadenfreude at my end, mate - Leica should be offering you an upgraded shutter for services rendered. Will you be sending in your stripped down body? Interested to hear which elements of the upgrade you'll go for - I had prioritised shutter / framelines - and then went for the glass as at the time it didn't seem worth scrimping. I'm actually pleased I did this as I don't have to worry about the thing rubbing across clothing etct.

re the virtue of the upgraded M8c, I'd also give a vote for the black chrome - I prefer it to the paint on the 8.2...

Chris, I'm not sending in the stripped down body, in fact, I'm going to be cheeky and ask if I can have the replaced shutters and framelines from the other two back because the framelines I dismantled met with "un petit accident" when I dropped them... Now that we have the delayed wind in firmware, I'm going to return that camera to an "un-modified" state, "un-" being a relative term.

As well as the shutter and framelines, I'm having the glass done too because I believe they replace the rear shell (so Jono said) which would remove a few scars from around the buttons on my chrome M8. I'm not interested in the Vulcanite preferring black leather from CameraLeather.com and I like the red dot!

One question I plan to ask in a few months (unless someone else has done so already) is just how durable the new black finish is. We know the silver chrome is durable, the black chrome rather less, especially along the edges and corners and I wonder how the black paint is. It's too shiny for my taste, I'm afraid.