M8 Firmware 2.004

dfarkas

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just checked the Leica USA site and the upgrade is now available, as well as what appears to be a new version of Leica Digital Capture for Mac.

Larry

Larry,

The Leica USA website still has the firmware v2.002, which was the previous release. FW v2.004 won't be posted for a few more days.

David

The discreet mode is turned on in a menu item. You can turn it off by returning to the menu and setting it back to OFF or you can switch the camera to "continuous" mode, which will override the discreet feature and fire the rewind each time the shutter has closed. Of course, then you have to lift your finger after the shot or you will get multiple frames.

Don't have any hard data about power consumption. I think the difference in the power needed to rewind the 1/8000 shutter in the M8 and the power to rewind the 1/4000 shutter in the M8u and M8.2 is probably a bigger deal.

scott

Thanks Scott - having the option is a relief. As to the power consumption issue, I thought perhaps the interval between release of the shutter and release of the button would have led to a power drain.

Russell be excuse me but this has got to be the (I don't know what) post I have ever read.

Many operating system already include a utility to UnZip Zipped files without ever installing any other software on your computer (I think Mac's do it automatically when downloading a ZIP file) and I know Windows, from at least XP on, have a built in UnZipping program. Not only that but there are other software programs that include a UnZipping program, like Powerdesk Pro a file management program. Or all you need to do is install WinZip which is free and very small.

No need to send a SD card to NJ to get the UnZipped firmware update.

If for some reason you can't do this on your own just go to a local highschool or college or even to your next door neighbors kid to UnZip the file.

Shootist, I have one computer running Windows XP and 1 running Vista, I have had no luck unzipping these files on either one, maybe it's my lack of skills,Idownloaded 7zip yesterday, will try unzipping files after using this software. Sorry you find my post as odd, but not everyone is a computer genius. Russell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Scott - having the option is a relief. As to the power consumption issue, I thought perhaps the interval between release of the shutter and release of the button would have led to a power drain.

I'm curious about that, too. I'm looking for a way to measure the current going into the camera at each stage of shutter actuation. If I get results, I'll post them here.

scott

Shootist, I have one computer running Windows XP and 1 running Vista, I have had no luck unzipping these files on either one, maybe it's my lack of skills,Idownloaded 7zip yesterday, will try unzipping files after using this software. Sorry you find my post as odd, but not everyone is a computer genius. Russell

In Win XP right click on the file and choose 'open with' then 'compressed (zipped) folders'

Jeff

As you might expect, I've measured the power consumption using a data logger and by far the bigger current draw on an unmodified M8 is from the motor cocking the shutter. The force required on the shutter cocking lever when you work it by hand is really quite considerable and feels very much at odds with the ultra-delicate shutter blinds the spring energy you're creating will act on.

If you have a camera with an upgraded shutter which likely has weaker springs, the quieter shutter cocking will come from the reduced load on the motor - less noise transmitted into the bodyshell. That should also translate to reduced power consumption and longer battery life.

If used as I suppose it is intended - delaying the wind by a few seconds - discreet mode should not materially affect battery life though the camera will be kept alive for longer between shots.

There were a few "experts" here who suggested the discreet mode could not be provided in the M8/M8u because hardware changes were required; my view has always been it's strictly a firmware issue and it might very well be that the function has been disabled in the M8/M8u up to now by simply excluding the selection from the menu making it impossible to turn on.

Guest guy_mancuso
As you might expect, I've measured the power consumption using a data logger and by far the bigger current draw on an unmodified M8 is from the motor cocking the shutter. The force required on the shutter cocking lever when you work it by hand is really quite considerable and feels very much at odds with the ultra-delicate shutter blinds the spring energy you're creating will act on.

If you have a camera with an upgraded shutter which likely has weaker springs, the quieter shutter cocking will come from the reduced load on the motor - less noise transmitted into the bodyshell. That should also translate to reduced power consumption and longer battery life.

If used as I suppose it is intended - delaying the wind by a few seconds - discreet mode should not materially affect battery life though the camera will be kept alive for longer between shots.

There were a few "experts" here who suggested the discreet mode could not be provided in the M8/M8u because hardware changes were required; my view has always been it's strictly a firmware issue and it might very well be that the function has been disabled in the M8/M8u up to now by simply excluding the selection from the menu making it impossible to turn on.

Not much what firmware cannot due. It is the brains of any system and many things can be done. Matter of what you want in it and what you do not. Just look at any Canon, Nikon , Sony or Panny out there. Hell the G1 is overloaded if you ask me and simply way too much stuff going on. Great little camera but a classic look how much we can stuff in here for 600 dollars. Most everything is firmware. There will always be some hardware issues but for the most part firmware is the brains of this dig cams. Personally adding the discreet mode to ALL m8's is a great idea and should be done no question. It does separate the M8 from the rest of the pack in this regards and let's face it the M8 and all of the M system was originally designed to be quiet or maybe better said is was always regarded as a quiet system, no reason not to continue down that history path. It is part of the leica legacy. Even if you do not need it , the feature is useful and I think that is what counts putting useful features in that can actually improve than make it some glitzy dig cam.

My same believe of the electronic frame lines that are projected inside the finder that are accurate in focal length and only show the lens in use. I also think it would be nice to make whatever lens is on the body make it almost full image in the finder with some space around it. In other words for example any lens put on of any focal length gets magnified to around the 24 mm frame lines , so a 75 mm is the same approximate size in the finder itself to almost full finder viewing. Think about this,no need for magnifiers and you are able to actually see the full 75mm image almost full frame in the finder instead of a little square. This could be a user option also with standard view and magnified view for the finder . Nothing glitzy it still is the same black mechanical frame lines today just done electronically and projected in the finder. It would take very little battery to do this. Still very M like and you get that option of standard view or magnified view but still leave some space around it so we can still see outside the lines for composition and such. That is something i would like to see happen and all firmware done just disengage the mechanical frame lines today and be done as a upgrade. Your option and frankly that is a option worth the money.

This would make focusing the longer lenses much much more accurate.

Edited by guy_mancuso

Guest volkerm
to make whatever lens is on the body make it almost full image in the finder with some space around it. In other words for example any lens put on of any focal length gets magnified to around the 24 mm frame lines , so a 75 mm is the same approximate size in the finder itself to almost full finder viewing. Think about this,no need for magnifiers and you are able to actually see the full 75mm image almost full frame in the finder instead of a little square.

From what I understand, the Contax G1 had that "zoom" finder.

Thanks David, guess they've nearly sold all the M8s <grin>.

Allowing the discreet mode for M8/M8u will discourages some people from trade-up or buy M8.2. Some will now buy secondhand M8 instead. In fact it may well discourage some people with M8 from sending to upgrade the shutter to M8u. If were me, I will first try free firmware to see if discreet makes quiet enough my M8, and if so, do not pay to upgrade. So I think this offer is not in any way in Leica's favour, therefore I give them high praise for doing so to benefit loyal buyers of the M8.

BTW, a question for people with M8.2 who use the discreet mode: How fast can you putting the camera down to release, and back to shoot, and find the same subject, for repeat shots?

Russell, I use Windows XP. Download (Save) the file to your desktop. Just double left click on the the downloaded icon (a folder with a zipper across it). A new window opens showing the .upd file. That is what you drag to your SD card.

Zeitz, I believe that I tried this once without any luck, but I will try this again. Thanks, Russell

Russell, sorry, but I don't think I've ever seen a thread so comprehensively hi-jacked...

Assuming you have downloaded the zipped file from the Leica web-site, you simply have to open the ZIP file using Windows explorer and then drag the file (say) to your desktop where it will be unzipped on the way. You can then copy that to the root folder of an SD card and you'll be all set.

Seems to me that if even this is too tough for you to accomplish, you should be enlisting the help of one of those monosyllabic adolescents from your neighbourhood, you know, the ones who think it's the height of sartorial elegance to wear a baseball cap on back to front...

You might even think of taking a night-class to hone your computing skills, I'm sure they exist in New Jersey.

Cool, finally.

However, nobody seem to notice that Leica waited for M8.2 sales to decline, and once they decided that the "discreet mode" allure was over they finally did what they should have done in the first place: give the update to the old M8s as well. Not too honest IMHO, but that's the way it is.

I keep not liking the business model & marketing strategy, I keep being happy to be using only film Ms, but I am very happy for those who hang to their first generation M8s and didn't let themselves fall into the M8.2 rip-off. :D

You know all of this a fact? Or, are you just projecting your personal opinion onto the company? You seem like a real, "Glass Half Full" kind of guy...

I bet you'd be upset if we hung you - because we didn't use a new rope...

Since you don't own an M8 - why do you even care?