M8 Firmware 2.004

dfarkas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Russell,

You could do a 'dry run' on the current firmware version by downloading it from the Leica website so you'll know that 7-zip works without having to wait for the new firmware to be released.

Pete.

Pete, Thanks for the input , but I think that I will wait to (1) speak toDave Elwell at Leica NJ, (2) wait for gravastar 's(Bob's) reply about locking the SD card ( see my earlier posts). As I said before, I am not that good with computers and don't want to mess up my current upgrade. I do appreciate everyone's help, but I 'm patient, no rush. Russell

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anybody know of a free download to successfully unzip these files? WinZip costs over $50.00, a ridiculous expense for a program that I would use only for firmware upgrades. It costs me $.43 to send my SD card to Leica NJ and I get it back 1 to 2 days later. I tried to unzip this file once using a 1 time free Win Zip program and was unsuccessful. I am not very computer literate. I also have a PC. Right now I am using Lightroom1.4 via the "hunt and peck" method. Would love to meet computer savvy individuals for lessons. I know this sounds odd, (2 m8 bodies and trying to save money) but I am recently unemployed, and have always acquired my gear through savvy trading w/o spending money (or at least minimal cash). Please help. Russell

I have been using this FREE app for years on a PC;

IZArc - Download

Not as heavy as the Adobe version.

I have been using this FREE app for years on a PC;

IZArc - Download

Not as heavy as the Adobe version.

Art, I can't believe how many people have been so helpful to me with my " computer issues". I will try 7 zip 1st, if that does not work for me, then I will try the program you suggested. Thank-you. Russell

Pete, Thanks for the input , but I think that I will wait to (1) speak toDave Elwell at Leica NJ, (2) wait for gravastar 's(Bob's) reply about locking the SD card ( see my earlier posts). As I said before, I am not that good with computers and don't want to mess up my current upgrade. I do appreciate everyone's help, but I 'm patient, no rush. Russell

If you don't want to mess with locking the card you can just unzip the file downloaded from Leica to the SD card directly or unzip it to a convenient place on your hard drive or desktop, then copy the *.upd file to the SD card and upgrade one camera. Unzip the file to the SD card or copy the *.upd file to the card again to update the second camera.

Do read Leica's instructions (pdf file) on how to do the upgrade, paying particular attention to the need to wait several seconds at one stage before you confirm you want to upgrade.

Bob.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you don't want to mess with locking the card you can just unzip the file downloaded from Leica to the SD card directly or unzip it to a convenient place on your hard drive or desktop, then copy the *.upd file to the SD card and upgrade one camera. Unzip the file to the SD card or copy the *.upd file to the card again to update the second camera.

Do read Leica's instructions (pdf file) on how to do the upgrade, paying particular attention to the need to wait several seconds at one stage before you confirm you want to upgrade.

Bob.

Bob, Thanks for your reply, I will try this method on Tuesday. First I will print out the instructions so that I follow them carefully, then try 7zip or the program that Art recommended. Thanks everyone!!!. Russell

I can't see why not. The body doesn't know that the card's been used to update a different body.

The only problem I can think of is if you are using an SDHC card and one of the bodies have firmware prior to v2.

Steve, (1) I have been re-reading all the threads from this post and realized that I ignored your input, Sorry! thank-you also. (2) I always use a small capacitySD card (512MB) for

my upgrades. Thanks again for your input also. Russell

It will be interesting to see how the KeeeerThunkWizzzzz is discreeted on the M8 Classic?...

Keeeer..........ThunkWizzzzz

or

KeeeerThunk............Wizzzzz

Leica just keeps giving!

:p

Sfokevin, Interesting way to describe the shutter actuation of the M8 before and after. BTW, Speaking of "cloaking" the M8 shutter, has anyone found that missing Klingon battle cruiser in San Francisco Bay? (Star Trek 4 movie) Russell

Edited by russell c. greenberg
I noticed your avatar, Golden Gate Bridge

i love it but watch out for your shutter going awol in continuous mode if you use discreet mode (unless the new update has fixed that as well...) and pack an extra battery!! there was me thinking it was a mechanical thingy...

john

Darn! - and I lose my high-speed internet today (Feb. 28 - newspaper finally folded - cleaning out my desk now!)

Let's see - at 9 minutes per megabyte download time.......

Anyone want to help a leisure-class (i.e. unemployed, freelance, whatever) photographer by sending a 2.004 CARE package on a CD? (PM me)

really sorry here to hear about you losing your post, on the bright side you have more time to discover yourself as a freelance whatever photographer and i would be happy to mail you a copy asap as i'm sure many or the forum members here would. good luck and keep busy!!

john

Does this put the "Broken Promises" thread to bed?

... or will some hold out for the S(tupid) mode as an upgrade option? :rolleyes::D

Pete.

From my point of view (as the originator of those threads) it does. The M8.2 still has the dial-in EV adjustment but the discrete shutter mode is the more important to me, so I'm more than happy. As for S mode, I'm more than happy not to have it.

Andy, I saw your name among the casualties in the farewell issue of RMN--bummer!

If need be, you're welcome to stop by my Lakewood workplace and I'll copy the thing onto an SD card for you.

As for the M8, I thought someone should mention that this will be at least the 3rd significant improvement or additional feature they've made despite never officially promising it:

1) Improved white balance

2) SDHC support

3) Descreet mode

Not too shabby for a camera that came out nearly 3 years ago.

Jeff

Let's reflect a moment on what this news means about Leica & our forum. What it means is wonderful on both counts.

Way back in Mr. Lee's day - a digital generation ago - we were promised all the upgrades that were compatible; and then what was promised was denied. A number of people - one in particular - chose to make an issue of this, & others said instead that this is not a world in which promises are kept, it's the world of business. He & the rest of us were told 'just get over it.'

But Leica did listen, our Chief Protester wasn't acting in vain, & this restores, I believe, a great deal of faith in Leica as a 'listening' company worthy of support & loyalty.

Perhaps the Forum didn't have anything to do with it at all, & Leica simply decided to wait 'til all the plain M8s were gone, as some folks suggested above. Or perhaps it did. For the time being, I'm assuming the latter.

Thank you, folks in Solms, for a wise, honest, supportive decision!

Kirk