M8 Firmware 2.004

dfarkas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As to my original post on the point of the spelling of "discreet" vs. ""discrete," I assumed that the purpose of the upgrade was to improve M8 functionality in actual photographic practice. The M6 and M7 were justly famous for their quiet performance, but as far as I was concerned, sadly lacking in the M8.

Now, I feel happy and vindicated to report that despite the misspelling in the Leica notification that we all got, the actual selection in the M8 Menu is indeed spelled "Discreet."

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to say that I'm very happy with my perpetually upgradeable M8's. My 2007 M8 is now up to date with Firmware 2.004. I can still use my ancient, but wonderful, M lenses with my new digital M8s. Try that with your Canons and Nikons! I can't imagine what anybody can find to complain about (unless you don't have an M8). Go out and take photos with your new discreet or discrete shutters!

Tina

Tina Manley- powered by SmugMug

Good work Leica. This is something many of us wanted. Thank you for your loyal support of your customers and your responsiveness on this issue. You have re-inforced one of the benefits of the M system.

My firmaware installed fine and I have saved the discreet mode for all settings - if I particularly want exposure lock instead, I can either change the setting quickly without having to look at the LCD ("menu"-> "up" -> "set" ->"up" -> "set"), or swith to continuous shooting mode and pay attention to how much pressure I have through my finger on the shutter release.

I have to say that I'm very happy with my perpetually upgradeable M8's. My 2007 M8 is now up to date with Firmware 2.004. I can still use my ancient, but wonderful, M lenses with my new digital M8s. Try that with your Canons and Nikons! I can't imagine what anybody can find to complain about (unless you don't have an M8). Go out and take photos with your new discreet or discrete shutters!

Tina

Tina Manley- powered by SmugMug

Hello Tina, just a small note: while one cannot mount pre-EOS Canon lenses on EOS bodies, I certainly can (and do) use my old Nikkors with my D3 (and my D2x before that). Just input them in the lens menu, and voila' - you can use any AI lens with metering, and any non-AI lens with an external meter too. Of course no AF (duh!) but then again I get focus confirmation if I need it. Though not offering total compatibility between old camera & new lenses as Leica does, Nikon is pretty good too when it comes to backwards compatibility. :D

I think the point of it really is down to the dictionary definition:

it's 'discrete', not 'discreet'.

All they're saying is that now the shutter rewind can be actuated at a different time than shutter release; not "it's going to be STEALTHIER!!" — discreet. DISCRETE, not DISCREET.

Seems good, and a bit more, ahem… discreet. :D

Actually it is both. It separates the sounds so it is discrete, and thus the shooting is more discreet. :p And to a dyslectic person there is no difference at all...

I am very happy about the improvement (made with the firmware upgrade) on my 2 M8 classics, but I would like to ask if anyone is comparing the sounds generated by the M8's against any of the film cameras (M4-2 thru M7) with their winders attached and running. If there is an acoustic engineer (with the necessary recording equipment) out there, he should record the differences and furnish us with the results. I remember using a winderM4-2and a winder M with an M4-2, M6 , MP, and an M7 and found these winders to be extremely noisy. The motor M is quieter, but not by much. Also these winders kick like a bronco at a rodeo. Keep this in mind when comparing the acoustics of the M8 compared to these other cameras. I believe all other posters are making these comparisons to film cameras w/o winders or motors. If anyone could comply with my request, please do so. I think that we will all be interested in the results. Thank-you. Russell

Updated tonight... all right; from some quick shot, I got the feeling that at 2500 noise is a little better managed... does anyone have the same impression ? I add that I did not updated to the 2 previous releases.

Shot at 2500, Summicron 35 wide open - straight from the camera - not any PP

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Trouble with your wind, Jamie? You might find that a hollow cough will disguise it. :rolleyes::D

Pete.

LOL!! :D Since I'm getting over the flu right now, I actually have a hearty cough, not a hollow one. It would absolutely cover any noise the camera makes, even from its auto-winder :D

Updated tonight... all right; from some quick shot, I got the feeling that at 2500 noise is a little better managed... does anyone have the same impression ? I add that I did not updated to the 2 previous releases.

Shot at 2500, Summicron 35 wide open - straight from the camera - not any PP

It may be...I could convince myself, but then... I did no direct before/after comparisons. It seems to be rather better...My 2500image & 100% crop:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jaapv

Very interesting. Downloaded file onto SD card (same one I've always used--pictures and firmware downloads), checked to make sure file is on the SD card, inserted into camera, turned on and. . .nothing! Like the camera doesn't even recognize anything is on the card. The good news is, everything works fine--old firmware (2.000) is still listed on the menu.

Ken