M8 Firmware 2.004

dfarkas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yay! It's posted!

BUT it's misspelled!

Discreet is what it should be, not discrete.

I hope the correct spelling is in the new on camera command, otherwise we'll need a further update.

Keep in mind that "discrete", of course, means non-continuous - separated.

Cheers,

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yay! It's posted!

BUT it's misspelled!

I hope the correct spelling is in the new on camera command, otherwise we'll need a further update.

no it isn't:

From Dictionary utility in my Mac:

The words discrete and discreet are pronounced in the same way and share the same origin but they do not mean the same thing. Discrete means ‘separate, distinct’ ( : a finite number of discrete categories), while discreet means ‘careful, judicious, circumspect’ ( : you can rely on him to be discreet ).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

FANTASTIC NEWS !!!! Clearly missing up to now to get the leica feel !!!! I will go back home early today to install it ... let's hope it works!!!! It is also giving more strength to the upgrade program and the continuity of the M8 vs M8.2 - great for the early adopters that can not afford to replace M8 by .2 ;-)

I agree that Leica meant that the functions have been separated and are therefore discrete.

After all, compared to an M6, even the M8.2 shutter couldn't be regarded as discreet, even in 'Discrete' mode, as it can still clearly be heard.

Simon

no it isn't:

From Dictionary utility in my Mac:

The words discrete and discreet are pronounced in the same way and share the same origin but they do not mean the same thing. Discrete means ‘separate, distinct’ ( : a finite number of discrete categories), while discreet means ‘careful, judicious, circumspect’ ( : you can rely on him to be discreet ).

And Merriam-Webster's Unabridged Dictionary seconds that!

Edited by larry

BUT it's misspelled!

I reed "Discreet" in the english menu.

Like in French.

It says Armement : Discrète

Should be Discret.

Well, translation is free of charges. :D

Edited by Philippe D.

I reed "Discreet" in the english menu.

Like in French.

It says Armement : Discrète

Should be Discret.

Well, translation is free of charges. :D

After reading some posts in a few threads, it is now up for debate again ;)

Did they mean : armement "discret" (as in silence and secret) or

armement "de facon discrète" ? (as in non continuous)

Who knows but in the end, who really cares ... as long as it works.

M8u updated successfully and discreet mode is very impressive; I suspect that I'll use it alot. My upgraded shutter seems to be much quieter than my original shutter was and it is further enhanced by discreet mode.

Thanks to all at Leica who are responsible for giving us this. It is very much appreciated. :)

Pete.

Edited by farnz

I had the shutter upgraded in January. Subjectively speaking, I never noticed a significant amount of difference between the old & new shutter sound. But I am happy about the additional warranty.

I'm hoping the separation of the re-cocking is going to allow me to shoot at slower shutter speeds :D.

Thanks Leica for the FW upgrade, thanks for listening.

Now if they can just change the shape of the M8 to match the M6 (meaning making it less thick and bulky), and changing the silent mode to having a mechanical film advance lever act as the shutter cocking device like on the M6.... Having to keep the shutter release depressed to avoid the clunk sound does not seem like a revolution of thought to me. I would think that the advance should be done on demand by the user like it has always been done in the history of photography without having to keep a button pressed. I suppose that this is the only way it can be done as a firmware upgrade but for purposes of how it would be done right, I would need to see a mechanical way for us to advance it when we want to not automatically after each time you take a picture. I would want to hear the shutter cocking sound BEFORE I take the picture...like mechancial film advance cameras: advancing film and cocking the shutter at the same time.....now just leave the old levers in place and use it for cocking the shutter alone. Is this not possible? Should I give up on hoping for an M9 that can do this?

I just tried it. It is a great improvement for me. I always had trouble finding the half and 1/3 places on the shutter release. Now I can focus and know it is only half way down. Try it, you shall like it. it is still noisy. That was not the improvement.

Caryl